Moparts

front end clunk revisited

Posted By: mcmopars

front end clunk revisited - 12/23/11 12:35 PM

dont clunk going over bumps,front end is very tight and responsive.it only clunks in the right front tire area whne your stopped and turning left.and will only clunk loud once.front end cant have 5k miles on it.firm feel arms feel nice and tight.no movement with pry bar under tire with lca loaded.shocks feel tight,i say feel as with grabbing and trying to move.driver side lca bushing has some tearing,it should be replaced but i think the noise would be comming fromdrivers side.trow some guys at me guys.wheel bearings are new
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: front end clunk revisited - 12/23/11 03:30 PM

I remember your thread. I'd check the center link/idler/pitman arms/ball joints for binding as a helper turns it right w you underneath
Posted By: BB73Challenger

Re: front end clunk revisited - 12/23/11 03:57 PM

you don't mention car make/model but a broken stabilizer link will "clunk" when broken during turns.
Posted By: 73rrak

Re: front end clunk revisited - 12/23/11 05:17 PM

My 72 Challenger did the same thing but it was when I was backing up with the wheels turned to the right. Mine was the steering box bolts had been left loose. Might take a quick check
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: front end clunk revisited - 12/23/11 06:54 PM

I belive this may be caused by the slop between the torsion bar socket and LCA. I've had Mopars do this after a front end rebuild. The slop can be removed by cutting the LCA bumper bracket loose on one side and closing the gap and rewelding the bracket.

Re: front end clunk revisited - 12/23/11 10:18 PM

thanks for they help,here is what it is not,ball joints all tight no movement whatever.links were replaced with new pollys,wheel bearings,idler are is nice and tight,tie rods are also tight.it only clunks when im stopped,taking off into a left turn,that is when it will clunk loud,and only once through the turn,in the right wheel area.it wont do it on jack stands.it has to be with weight on the defective part.i cant get any movement grabbing the shock either.jim please what do you mean?im not really sure what you mean.but im at my end as to solving this issue.uca bushings seem good,holds a good alignment.1973 duster.steering box bolts are tight and is a firm feel unit
Posted By: JonC

Re: front end clunk revisited - 12/23/11 10:31 PM

Are the torsion bars greased? I think I am right in saying they should be packed in grease on both ends. I'm taking mine out to do this because they snap sometimes.

Re: front end clunk revisited - 12/23/11 11:22 PM

went out and checked again,drivers side lca bushing is shot, passenger side looks o.k.. i will put in new bushings on both sides anyway.ill let you know if it cures this mysterious clunk.thank you. and will make sure they are grease packed.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: front end clunk revisited - 12/24/11 01:48 AM

check the k-frame to chassis mounting area for cracks..
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: front end clunk revisited - 12/24/11 04:20 AM

When you have the LCA's out check for slop between the torsion bar socket and LCA. If they're real sloppy, tighten them up as I described. Also, like said above, make sure the t-bars are greased well.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: front end clunk revisited - 12/24/11 04:26 AM

Quote:

The front end doesn't clunk going over bumps, front end is very tight and responsive. It only clunks in the right front tire area when your stopped and turning left, and will only clunk loud once. Front end can't have 5k miles on it. Firm Feel arms feel nice and tight. No movement with pry bar under tire with lca loaded. Shocks feel tight. Driver side lca bushing has some tearing, it should be replaced but I think the noise would be coming from drivers side.

Maybe the right upper ball joint is defective?

Re: front end clunk revisited - 12/24/11 04:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The front end doesn't clunk going over bumps, front end is very tight and responsive. It only clunks in the right front tire area when your stopped and turning left, and will only clunk loud once. Front end can't have 5k miles on it. Firm Feel arms feel nice and tight. No movement with pry bar under tire with lca loaded. Shocks feel tight. Driver side lca bushing has some tearing, it should be replaced but I think the noise would be coming from drivers side.

Maybe the right upper ball joint is defective?

also wouldnt i hear it clunk going over bumps and such?

i load the control arm with a jack and get no movement at all with a pry bar.so i dont think so but...
Posted By: max

Re: front end clunk revisited - 12/27/11 01:23 AM

I went through the same problem on my 70 Challenger and it drove me crazy trying to find it. It ended up being the drivers side front wheel bearing. For some reason it wouldn't tighten up to factory specs and I tried several different wheel bearings and races. It acted like the bearing nut was bottoming out and not tightening the bearing. I ended up swaping out the hug assembly and I have never had any issues since.
© 2024 Moparts Forums