Moparts

Crank is broken

Posted By: moparbroz

Crank is broken - 12/21/11 08:21 PM

On a cherry picker and down the 440 went. Landed on the crankshaft pully and broke the end of the crankshaft clean off. I am by far not a motor guru and I know that I need a new balanced crank and to balance I need to get a machine shop a piston and rod. Should I attempt this myself or just drop off my motor? I have a highly recommended motor guru who I can have do the job.

Attached picture 6977729-crankbroken.jpg
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Crank is broken - 12/21/11 08:29 PM

UMMM,, WOW,

I would definatly have that block checked for any cracks from the impact. Every main got a shock when that ol girl hit, and I mean a side shock, stressing the bolts, and the webbing of the block where a load like that was NEVER designed to hit it. Crazy how that broke.

Glad you arent hurt, that could have gotten really nasty.

Kasey
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Crank is broken - 12/21/11 08:32 PM

Is this a cast iron crank or a forged steel crank? If steel you can have the snout welded back on, in the old days a lot of the blown fuel racers that didn't race Chrysler Hemi would have the snout of thier crankshafts cut off and replace them with a Chrysler hemi one
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Crank is broken - 12/21/11 10:34 PM

Time for a stroker!

Seriously, I am also glad it didn't catch you on the way down.

I also agree that for peace of mind, it would be a good idea to have the block and caps checked, unless this is a low-buck beater.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Crank is broken - 12/21/11 11:13 PM

It's a cast crank by the looks of it.
Nice time for an upgrade, or just a replacement cast crank, which should be very cheap to find.
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Crank is broken - 12/22/11 01:55 AM

I got a cherry cast crank that you can have if you want to pay shipping from the east coast. Should be able to find one out there for less than shipping though.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Crank is broken - 12/22/11 02:51 AM

I heard 440 source has a bunch of cast 440 cranks for sale not on the web sight but worth the call!

I too have a cast 440 crank you could have but worse yet i'm in Canada
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Crank is broken - 12/22/11 03:25 AM

If that is an engine that you had built, and it was balanced before being built last time you should be able to take it to preferably the same shop with a copy of the balance card and they can balance another crank to the old specs.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Crank is broken - 12/22/11 06:30 AM

What the heck? The guy posts and then disappears?
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Crank is broken - 12/22/11 07:42 AM

If you look at the squareness of the counterweights you can tell it's cast, plus, a forged would likely not have broken like that. Regardless, I doubt it hurt the block, but I would replace at least that one upper main bearing on #1. If the motor is stock (factory rods and pistons) another stock cast crank that has never been molested should be close enough in balance. If it bothers you, definitely have the balance checked. Take the harmonic balancer and let them know the rear is also externally balanced. If you have a stick trans, take the flywheel, otherwise you're almost stuck buying a B&M external flexplate.

Re: Crank is broken - 12/22/11 03:26 PM

John - Awesome offer! I really appreciate it. I will take you up on it if that is ok. My zip is 92867. Orange, CA. Thanks!

Re: Crank is broken - 12/22/11 03:28 PM

Sorry Frankenduster. I didn't disapear, just had a bunch of stuff to do.

Re: Crank is broken - 12/22/11 03:34 PM

Thanks for all the great information guys. I really appreciate it. I am going to tear everything down myself and inspect and retorque everything. I will use Johns crank as a replacement. I might as well do the cam too while I am at it.

Re: Crank is broken - 12/22/11 03:42 PM

Thanks too Barry for your generous offer!
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Crank is broken - 12/22/11 03:50 PM

Dads426...you are a class act. That's what it's all about.
Posted By: RTshaker

Re: Crank is broken - 12/22/11 04:00 PM

Quote :"Should I attempt to do this myself or just DROP OFF my motor " again???ok but gently this time .. deja vu me thinks.. phrasing struck me funny Not the situation...sorry
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Crank is broken - 12/22/11 04:05 PM

Not that it wouldn't be too hard for you to put back together, but you'll have to drop the new crank off so why not just have them check the caps and re-assemble it? Shouldn't cost that much.
and John and Kev are good people. They have hooked me up a few times as well.

Re: Crank is broken - 12/22/11 05:37 PM

Actually kind of funny!
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Crank is broken - 12/22/11 07:35 PM

I have to ask, what engine hoist were you using and what was the failure on the hoist?

Re: Crank is broken - 12/23/11 01:48 AM

I was usaing a friends. Smaller than what I have usually seen. Boom was out too far. No leg extensions.
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Crank is broken - 12/23/11 03:16 AM

Not a problem. That's what this boards all about. Plus, I get to clean out my garage since I never throw anything away...

We'll see if Steve wants to pay shipping from the right coast.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Crank is broken - 12/23/11 04:23 AM

No problem gedder done!
Barry

Re: Crank is broken - 12/23/11 05:26 AM

I can give you a ups shipping label from my wife's work. All I need is weight and box size. I can email or fax it to you.

Re: Crank is broken - 01/03/12 07:56 PM

Jon came through with the crank! I would polish and install it asap except that unfortunately my wife went into the hospital with a very serious Pulmonmary decease last Tuesday and I have been with here there 99% of the time. Priorities. Thanks all especially to Jon!
Posted By: 82ramIndy493

Re: Crank is broken - 01/04/12 01:58 AM

Good luck at getting your engine back together and hope and pray your wife comes through ok. Will keep in prayer.

Re: Crank is broken - 01/07/12 02:32 AM

Thanks super gas. Appreciate it.

Re: Crank is broken - 02/05/12 06:13 PM

Unfortunately my wife had a heart attack on 12/27 and I put EVERYTHING on the back burner to care for her. God is awesome and she is slowly recovering so I have had some time yesterday to work on the crank swap.

Jon’s was right. The crank he gave me is “CHERRY!” I can’t thank him enough.

Pulling the last two main caps off today and will drop off the crank that Jon gave me, a piston, rod and balancer to “Russ’s Muscle” on Monday or Tuesday so the crank can be balanced. Should have her all back together in just a short while.

Wanted to share an update and also give Jon (dads426) another shout out for the ultimate mopar bro gesture.

Quote:

Not a problem. That's what this boards all about. Plus, I get to clean out my garage since I never throw anything away...

We'll see if Steve wants to pay shipping from the right coast.

Attached picture 7054802-4.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums