Moparts

big block wrist pin fit

Posted By: dustdevil

big block wrist pin fit - 12/16/11 06:12 PM

hi guys, we tore down a 383 expecting to just re-ring with rods& mains and a cam change. I noticed some of the pistons seemed free and some were tightish. This boy has been over reved when a timing chain went out earlier in life. There are some valve smacks on the tops of of the piston but no real damage. Piston are running about .003 cl in the middle of the bore. Any way getting to the point. The pin bosses in the piston are measuring .001-.0015 clearance. and the pins slid in and out of the piston easy. You guys think we'll have a pin knock at temp. The pistons that seemed tight had some galling. Thanks for your help. Bruce
Posted By: dOc !

Re: big block wrist pin fit - 12/16/11 09:14 PM

I wood not worry about 001/0015 ... that should tighten-up a tad when the piston get warm.

Re: big block wrist pin fit - 12/16/11 10:24 PM

hey doc, was just kinda worried about it my sunnen gage recommends .0003/.0005 fit and its double the high side. thats new of course. doesn't the hole get larger rather then smaller? BT
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: big block wrist pin fit - 12/16/11 10:28 PM

.001 floating pin to rod is good. The .0003-.0005 that's not for floating or do you not have floaters?
Posted By: drew72

Re: big block wrist pin fit - 12/17/11 12:00 AM

Yes, the aluminum piston will expand and increase the clearance slightly. You will probably not have any issues immediately, but you will wear the pin bores more rapidly with the extra clearance. So longevity could be called into question.

Re: big block wrist pin fit - 12/17/11 02:11 AM

Hey Rapid,its the piston fit I'm concern about. The rods are press fit.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: big block wrist pin fit - 12/17/11 02:34 AM

Quote:

I wood not worry about 001/0015 ... that should tighten-up a tad when the piston get warm.

Holes get bigger as the temperatures increase they do not "tighten up". Since the pin is steel and the piston aluminum the clearances will only increase as it warms up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums