Moparts

Green wheel bearings

Posted By: ralphie361

Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 12:20 AM

I am getting ready to order axles for my a body conversion and Dr. Diff has them with the green bearings pressed on as a package. The car will mainly be street, would like to be able to corner with it, as it wont be fast enough to drag race. Should I stick with the original style bearings with adjusters?
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 12:23 AM

i'd go with the Green and say good-bye to adjusting!

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 12:27 AM

I would love to, but I heard that they don't hold up well with excessive side loading. I don't know if its true or not. I probably won't autocross it much, but I don't want to trash new bearings if they are more geared toward drag racing.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 12:29 AM

Quote:

ADJUSTING is such a PITA ....NOT !

You know what my vote is...

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 12:39 AM

Yeah, I hear ya It wasn't even the adjusting that was calling me, it was the laziness factor that the bearings were installed and I could be done 12 minutes after UPS gets here.

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 12:43 AM

Now if Mikey thinks that "adjusting" is such a PITA .... what wood he say to a cam or converter change? ..
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 01:03 AM

Quote:

Yep get rid of the adjusting it is such a BIG job. Might take all of 10 -15 minutes including packing the bearings. That is ten minutes to pack and maybe five to install and adjust the end play. Plus the tapered bearing is a superior bearing set up.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 01:57 AM

Roller... more durable and much better for cornering loads. I bet Dr Diff would press them on for you too.

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 02:13 AM

Quote:

Now if Mikey thinks that "adjusting" is such a PITA .... what wood he say to a cam or converter change? ..

there's an advantage to a cam or converter change. i'm all about easy! like the OP said, 12 minutes after UPS drops, you're driving!
Posted By: kilroy

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 02:25 AM

I got greens when I was in High School. They make for really gear quick changes and such and I did millions of donuts "marking" my territory. Never damaged one yet. All that said I wish I had stayed with the timken bearings.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 12:18 PM

run my first set in the 68 Dart for 9 yrs before one went out and started leaking oil with the inner seals.

got a 2nd set from DrDiff and been on them 4 yrs now in my truck.

plenty of turns,power slides,burnouts,off road trail ridding,daily driveing.

i dont run inner seals the 2nd go round and no leaks or trouble with mine.

it not that it is hard or to much time to adjust stock bearings,it is the fact that they no longer make the adjuster for the stock bearing.

i couldnt find a good one so the greens filled the spot and have held up fine for me with all types of abuse on that 8 3/4 in 2 different rides at 100 miles a day daily driveing.

i will stay with greens and even save the 12$ not running the inner seals.

as far as seals,it is 2x the protection with them but I had too many when I shot that 12$ set of seals in with the BFH so it went together with out them

no leaks after 4 yrs so far

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 02:42 PM

I beeez just ... how large is THIS mean-greenie topic is gonna' be ? ...

Can the greenies be used successfully ? .... Yes. But ask yourself WHY the OEM went to these greenies NOW. Because they are CHEAPER to make and they are a simplier install .... since they do-not require the PITA "adjustment" that Mikey mentions ...
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 04:12 PM

Quote:

I would love to, but I heard that they don't hold up well with excessive side loading. I don't know if its true or not. I probably won't autocross it much, but I don't want to trash new bearings if they are more geared toward drag racing.

have had the same set of green bearings in my dart since the mid 90's. it was a daily driver back then. lots of hard street miles on them and i have had no issues at all with them...
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 04:27 PM

There's no question that tapered roller bearings are a superior design. But they may be overkill.
It's kind of like the forged vs. cast crank debate. No question the forged crank is superior but if the cast crank doesn't break or cause power loss then the forged crank is overkill.

Or, it's like hunting gophers. You can shoot successfully with a .22, but you choose a .300 Magnum.

Hundreds of millions of cars are driving on the streets of America with ball bearings on all four wheels.

Also, remember that the three most dangerous words are, "I have heard".

R.

PS: Nothing in the above post indicated that you shouldn't run real US-made tapered roller bearings if you so choose.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 09:34 PM

If you're buying new axles or installing disc brakes there's nothing wrong with going with the Greens but if you're changing over simply to avoid having to adjust the Timkens I say "shame on you".
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 10:32 PM

Quote:

If you're buying new axles or installing disc brakes there's nothing wrong with going with the Greens but if you're changing over simply to avoid having to adjust the Timkens I say "shame on you".

I think one is stuck with greens if going to disc brakes , you have no choice , but because you have no choice doesn't make it right .

But I agree if changing because you are too lazy to adjust them ...

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/14/11 10:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think one is stuck with greens if going to disc brakes , you have no choice , but because you have no choice doesn't make it right .

But I agree if changing because you are too lazy to adjust them ...

that was my point. he's getting new axles. go with the greens and be done with it. i wasn't advocating switching over..........
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/15/11 02:27 AM

Quote:

I've been installing Green Bearings on my cars and customers cars for close to 2 decades, not one failure EVER, and plenty of them are daily drivers, road course cars, street/track cars, dedicated track cars....Green Bearings were developed and trademarked by Chrysler as a replacement for the Tapered design decades ago....millions of production vehicles world wide ride on Green Bearings, or similar design....just a myth the design can't handle repeated side loads,....even the circle track guys are moving into Green bearing use.....Dr Diff will set you up with what you need

Attached picture 6967442-xvracing.jpg

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/15/11 03:14 AM

Thanks for the info and opinions guys, I appreciate it. I went with Dr. Diff axles and green bearings installed. I think they are worth a try, and If I hate them I'll press the original set up back on them. I was also thinking about trying the grand cherokee rear disc conversion, so that was another factor. Thanks again
Posted By: 383man

Re: Green wheel bearings - 12/15/11 05:40 AM

I am using the green bearings in my 8-3/4. Been holding up fine. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums