Moparts

'71 Charger Taillight Harness

Posted By: 71charger

'71 Charger Taillight Harness - 12/11/11 03:47 PM

I need new sockets for my taillights but can't find a harness for a '71. Year One sells their RL74 harness for '72 to '73, can I use the later harness in my '71?
Posted By: kilroy

Re: '71 Charger Taillight Harness - 12/11/11 04:43 PM

before you give up on the existing sockets, I refurbished my 72 taillights which the bulbs were corroded in by busting the bulbs out and prying and pulling out the brass remains. Then cleaning any remains of the bulb out. I then dumped in a liquid rust remover/dissolver into the bulb socket. Much to my surprise the sockets hold the liquid in and the rust dissolver will take out the corrosion and re-plated them. Do this a couple of times and start working the springs to break corrosion off them. Mine work perfect now. But this may not be your situation but if it is thought I would give you something to think about.
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: '71 Charger Taillight Harness - 12/11/11 06:00 PM

Quote:

I need new sockets for my taillights but can't find a harness for a '71. Year One sells their RL74 harness for '72 to '73, can I use the later harness in my '71?

..........I have the same prob with my 71 R/T . Nobody make replacement harness for them , not even Mopar. The sockets are not removable from the besels like some of the other years. In my case I just cleaned them up the best I could. Im wonderin if M&H could replace the sockets ?

Re: '71 Charger Taillight Harness - 12/11/11 07:56 PM

I've got sockets that have corroded away with large rust holes in them. They have to be replaced. I have '71 wiring diagrams, but don't have '72 diagrams, so I can't compare straight up. I also have '74s, but Year One shows '72 and '73 as the same; '74 won't do me any good.
Posted By: kilroy

Re: '71 Charger Taillight Harness - 12/11/11 09:21 PM

Quote:

I've got sockets that have corroded away with large rust holes in them. They have to be replaced. I have '71 wiring diagrams, but don't have '72 diagrams, so I can't compare straight up. I also have '74s, but Year One shows '72 and '73 as the same; '74 won't do me any good.

Bummer, sorry my idea wont help (yah I know duh).

They are very hard to pry out without busting the potmetal base.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: '71 Charger Taillight Harness - 12/11/11 09:50 PM

some details on this...

first, 71 used two diff tail lights setup, same as 72s, so WHICH ONE IS THE ONE THEY SELL ?

second, 73 and 74 used both SAME tail lights, so how somebody can offer a 72/73 without include 74 ?

3rd, Rallye tail lights are without a ground wire due the housing is pot metal, taking ground from chassis... same as 72 standard. Dunno 71 standards, so more reasons to be diff

4th, as far I know 71/72 standards are integrated sockets ( pressed into ) to the housing, like 73/74 but these lates being plastic housing, not removable like Rallyes tail lights... this is the diff I'm saying on 1st point

so, where is the truth ?

Re: '71 Charger Taillight Harness - 12/11/11 10:52 PM

I'm trying to repair a set of rallye taillights to replace the plastic-housing SE taillights. I'm thinking, after looking over '72 and '73 wiring diagrams I found on the web, that I should be able to get away with the '72 wiring since they ground through the sockets and I'm using metal bezels.
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: '71 Charger Taillight Harness - 12/12/11 03:15 AM

It has been a while but I recall buying some after market sockets and making mine work. I put '71 tail lights in my '72 so I was not worried about originality but no one can see any difference. They look like they came from the factory. The harness I got from an R/T donor was not in the best shape. Here is a link to look at..
http://www.qualitydist.net/pico-5469pt.html

Attached picture 6962648-100_7962.JPG

Re: '71 Charger Taillight Harness - 12/12/11 03:57 AM

I bought my repro lenses and refinished the bezels months ago. Now, I just have to get the sockets fixed or replaced. I'm hoping the '72 harness I ordered will come quickly and solve all the problems in one shot.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: '71 Charger Taillight Harness - 12/12/11 05:09 PM

Please be sure to let us know how it works out.

I have a set of R/T tail lights I need to replace all the sockets and wiring on as well so I'll be anxious to hear the final results.

Posted By: bee71mopar

Re: '71 Charger Taillight Harness - 12/12/11 09:11 PM

The set I have in my 71 Bee are out of a 71 500.It had the plastic ones in it and all I did was exchange the two actually 4 (housings only) and they work fine in my Bee with the factory harness.
Good Luck

Re: '71 Charger Taillight Harness - 12/17/11 01:13 PM

Sadly, the '72 harness arrived from Year One and it looks nothing like the photo on the website. It has no light sockets. I guess I'll hit the auto parts, buy a few sockets and repair what I have.

Re: '71 Charger Taillight Harness - 12/22/11 03:24 AM

this is driving me crazy. I can get the taillights to work just fine, but the stop and turn signals won't consistently work. Is there a decent line of replacement sockets out there? The ones I've gotten from Pep Boys and Advance are crappy.
Posted By: bee71mopar

Re: '71 Charger Taillight Harness - 12/22/11 06:19 PM

Quote:

Sadly, the '72 harness arrived from Year One and it looks nothing like the photo on the website. It has no light sockets. I guess I'll hit the auto parts, buy a few sockets and repair what I have.

Try these guys and send the correct one in and he can make you one.Just a thought.
http://evanswiring.com/
© 2024 Moparts Forums