11/17/17 12:59 PM
11/17/17 12:59 PM
Nashville, TN
Rustymuscle Offline OP
Mopar Connection Magazine
Rustymuscle  Offline OP

Nashville, TN

The journey of our ’70 Hemi ‘Cuda convertible project car “Comeback ‘Cuda” is really starting to take shape. In fact, the entirety of this article is all about literally getting it into shape prior to paint. The seams were leaded and the console, spare tire, and the jack brackets have all been welded in place. We mounted the hood, trunk lid, and doors and checked all the body lines and gaps.

Read the whole story at Mopar Connection HERE:

Mopar Connection Magazine, your source for daily news, real-world tech, features and much more.
Got a comment, question, or a story? Email me at kevin.shaw@shawgroupmedia.com
Re: Gallery: Comeback ‘Cuda; It’s Time to Work That Body [Re: Rustymuscle] #2406714
11/21/17 11:07 AM
11/21/17 11:07 AM
Nashville, Tennessee
Tempest Offline
mopar
Tempest  Offline
mopar

Nashville, Tennessee
Pretty cool seeing those pictures my father took back then. Long story but those pictures almost never saw the light of day. Only by accident (or divine intervention) that I found them. When I asked about them, I remember him telling me he went over to the production line with some lab and technical people and wanted to supervise a "big test" they were doing. So its possible, this was a new method or new material being tested in the picture.

The adhesive drops used under the hood/trunk lid are referred to "Hershey Drops" back then in the industry. The adhesive was developed by BF Goodrich Corporation and was patented. My father started his career as a Chemical Engineer for BF Goodrich inventing new adhesive applications for automotive and aerospace applications.

Some corrections and additional information of interest. At the time of the pictures, my father was the GM (not a chemical consultant) of Trenton Chemical, which was a subsidiary of Chrysler Corporation. The Trenton plant was located on W Jefferson down from the engine plant. He worked there from 1965-1972, ironically at the height of the musclecar era. As part of the executive team for Chrysler, he was able to choose 2 company cars a year. My brothers were in high school at the time and influenced his choices. There were many cars but most notable, a 1969 HEMI Coronet RT convertible, Y2 yellow, stripe delete. Apparently one of two Y2 cars made. It was technically ordered by a 16 year old kid! smile

The 2nd most notable was a '70 Challenger RT, Sublime, White stripe, top and interior. Was a stunning color combination. I still have a Polaroid of me as a kid standing in front of this car.

Before he passed away I told him what some of these cars were selling for and he could not believe it. At the end of the day, these were all company cars and had to be turned in. He never had any idea of their worth at that point in time, they were just products to be manufactured and marketed.

Being around that as a kid had a profound effect on me and my interest in cars. I'm grateful I was able to be a part of it.

p.s. It's really cool to see Mike trying to replicate the seam sealer on the Cuda using some images from slides taken by my father 50 years ago!

Last edited by Tempest; 11/21/17 11:09 AM.
Re: Gallery: Comeback ‘Cuda; It’s Time to Work That Body [Re: Rustymuscle] #2406769
11/21/17 12:59 PM
11/21/17 12:59 PM
Nashville, TN
Rustymuscle Offline OP
Rustymuscle  Offline OP

Nashville, TN
Thank you for this, Eric. The corrections submitted by Mike over the weekend have been applied to the story now.

Mopar Connection Magazine, your source for daily news, real-world tech, features and much more.
Got a comment, question, or a story? Email me at kevin.shaw@shawgroupmedia.com

Moderated by  Rustymuscle