I'm having issues with my 96 Ram 1500, 5.2 auto 2wd. When I bought the truck it wouldn't upshift unless you let off the gas completely. I replaced the governor pressure solenoid, transducer, along with the TC lock up solenoid, and that fixed the shifting issues and the tranny worked perfectly, shifted just fine. BUT, then reverse started to act up. Initially it would hesitate going into reverse, taking 2 seconds or so to go in. Over time, it got worse, to the point now that it won't fully go into reverse unless you bring the RPM's up to approx 1500 or so for about 7-10 seconds and then it goes in. It will go in partially but won't fully engage unless you bring the RPM's up. Once it's in reverse it's fine, it doesn't slip once in gear. It still shifts perfectly other wise. I'm guessing it's a seal on the accumulator piston for reverse? How much are seal kits for a 46 RE?
I know the proper thing to do is take the tranny out, get it rebuilt blah blah, but the truck has 150,00 miles (240,000 km's for my metric friends) and is only used for banging around in, so that's not going to happen ($1000 for a rebuild around here)unless it's absolutely necessary, and then it'll be a used tranny (although those seem like hen teeth).

Last edited by WO23Coronet; 11/27/11 09:43 PM.