Car is a low compression 340 with a hughes whiplash cam, tight 10" converter, and 3:91 gears. Car runs best at 5 degrees initial timing with my current single point distributor, and I know this is not right from just about everything I have read. I am sure that my curve is off and I am leaving a lot on the table performance wise. I have been doing a ton of research and just this morning ordered an MSD E curve distributor as it seems to be about the best thing going out there after reading many reviews on many different distributors. When it gets here i will need to set my timing and curve. I have never mastered the science of timing and I read through all of the achives before I posted. I have both a standard and dial back timing light. Can anyone help me step by step on how I will know exactly what my initial will need to be and what my full advance will be...in laymam's terms? I know that can only be completely answered by experimenting, but I just need to know the correct way to experiment instead of just cranking the distributor and winging it. Bonus points will be given if you have experience with the MSD E-Curve. If you need to know anything else about the car that would be helpful, please let me know. I have googled until turning blue trying to save someone the trouble, but this is what it has come down to.

Thanks a ton,

Last edited by OA5599; 11/16/10 12:02 PM.