From a thread on the old board.

tilt
Moparts Member
posted 01-09-2003 06:47 PM

Does any one have pics. of this car,I'd love to have one one.

============================

onebadsuperbird
Moparts Member

OK I did a little better this time! These pics, unfortunately are only black and white but are pretty cool.

The first pic is the Supercharger

Another pic of the Supercharger from an Auto Show back in the day

This picture is the Supercahrger a few years earlier when it was known as the Topless Charger

Another shot of the Topless Charger from an Auto Show back in the day

A couple more of the Topless Charger

And now for something extra special! Check out these Dodge styling plcs of possible front and rear styling treatments for the '71 Charger. G-Series, are you looking?

1970 Charger 6 Pack, you should see it in color or in person. Them black and white pics just don't do it justice! I know have lots of video footage of it from when it was shown at Carlisle a few years back.
Oh, by the way, D100, Raffi ain't owned it for a while now. It's part of the Steven Juliano collection of Mopar concept cars

That is way too cool! Your dad actually brung the Supercharger home one night? Looking forward to hooking up with you at the WPC swap meet. Remind me to tell you a story about the Supercharger and the Diamante at the swap meet. I would tell it here but it would take forever to type it all!
Oh, and the Supercharger and the Topless Charger were indeed the same car just as the Diamante and the Yellow Jacket were as D100 mentioned.

The previous owner of the Supercharger, Raffi Minasian, did drive the car a lot but I don't know if he would go all the way up the west coast with it seeing as how there was no roof whatsoever!

I would love to see more pics of the '71 Charger too but that was all's I could find. There's just got to be more pics of this car out there!

Let's just say I have a lot of pics on my hard drive and also am pretty resourceful at surfing the net for pics! A lot of times you can find what you're looking for pretty easily but it took me a while to come up with the pics shown above! It was a lot of fun looking for em though! It always seems like ya find some cool websites in the process of searching!

I think some of them concept cars were at the Red Barns show one of them years. It wasn't the brown sodas!
RdRnr6970, the green Dart/Barracuda looking car you mentioned is the Daroo. I'm not sure if the Daroo is another of those concept cars that lived more than one life. Below is a link to an article (with a pic) of the Daroo II which was essentially the same car trimmed out a little different and wearing red paint. The car that Steven Juliano has is the green Daroo. If someone is a little more versed on the Daroo story, ya can fill us all in! Here's the link:

http://www.dodgedart.org/press/press68a.html

Yep, Elwood Engel was the main design force behind the Topless Charger/SuperCharger. Your dad and him must have been pretty tight for him to have let your dad take a car like that home!

I been looking high and low on the net for some more pics of the '71 Charger and ain't been able to find any more. They gotta be out there somewhere.

OK, here's a few more pics for y'all. This is the Charger I.
Debuted at the Milwaukee Auto Show on November 16-24 1963, the new Charger roadster stole the show at the Dodge exhibit. The customized competition roadster stands only 47 3/4-inches high, and is based on a standard Dodge convertible. Chrysler engineers utilized the basic body panels in order to maintain a close relationship between the Charger roadster show car, and standard production vehicles.

Chrysler Corporations vice president and director of styling, Elwood Engel stated, "The Charger's styling speaks Dodge." "Our design gives this specialty car a youthful, 'get-up-and-go' appearance which reflects the Dodge image as an all-out, dependable performer."

The design of the Charger required the removal of the bumpers, wheels, body mechanisms, seats, and top. Not only did this lighten the new Charger, but also provided a starting point for the stylist to begin their design for a sleek competition roadster. With the removal of the front and rear bumpers, stylist added lower valances with a set of four small bumper guards. In order to maintain an aggressive and wide grill, single seven inch headlights were used. New magnesium Halibrand wheels were mounted with special Goodyear Wingfoot high performance tires. The rear wheel-wells were designed to accept wider rim and tire combinations for drag racing.

Atop the long hood sits a Ramcharger scoop. The addition of the scoop forced cool outside air to be inducted into the 426 Cid Wedge engine. Initially the Charger was fitted with a single 4 barrel carburetor, but the hood design allowed for modifications to accept twin four barrel carburetors. The exhaust used "lake-type" headers for competition use, and by using cover plates, the exhaust gases could be directed through regular dual mufflers for street use.

The windshield is only six inches high, and combines with the lowered side glass to create a competition appearance. The rear rollbar covers the conventional rear seating area, while the integrated headrest provides comfort and support to the occupants. The interior seating and trim is upholstered in charcoal gray leather, combined with a complementary black cut pile carpet that covers the floor, the majority of the side panels, and cowl section. The twin bucket seats are fully padded, and have special pleats to increase comfort. The occupants are secured into the buckets with matching Deist competition seatbelt-harness.

The Charger features a full length console and upper "cockpit divider". The divider is leather trimmed, and features an 8000 RPM tachometer mounted high at eye-level. The deep-dish steering wheel, passenger grab rail, and the gear-shift selector are all made of walnut. The walnut is a deep contrast for the bright metal trim used on the accelerator, brake, and parking brake pedals.

Dodge Charger Specifications
Over-all Length: 206.5 inches
Over-all Width: 74.9 inches
Over-all Height: 47.75 inches
Wheelbase: 119 inches
Turning Circle: 45 feet
Powerplant: 426 cu. in. V-8
Horsepower: 365 @ 4800 rpm
Torque: 470 @ 3200 rpm
Passenger Capacity: 2

That is a cool '68 Charger! I've seen the ads for it and wondered what the car looked like. Thanks for the link!

OK, here's our selection of the day. I need to add before we start though that I don't just keep pulling rabbits out of my hat. I am getting these pictures and info from a very cool website that can be accessed from the following link:

http://home.att.net/~scatpack/index.htm

Today's feature car is the Charger II.

Unveiled at the 1965 Auto Show circuit, the Charger II gave the public a close look of what Dodge would be releasing in January of 1966. The Charger II show car demonstrated the new styling ideas at Chrysler Corporation. Clean, simple, and sweeping lines define the new Charger's shape. The long smooth hood is capped with a delta hood ornament, while the fastback roofline joins to the short rear deck lid. In order to maintain a smooth clean appearance door handles were replaced with a concealed latch. The vent frames were removed to create an open and clean expanse of side glass. The Charger's cowl houses three larger air ducts that circulate fresh air throughout the interior and exhaust the stale air through vents atop each rear fender.

The front grill assembly is stylish but functional. A full steel grill wraps around the front of the Charger, with four smaller divider bars connecting the headlights. The massive grill assembly provides true bumper-like protection. The twin rectangular headlights further enhance Charger's simple clean appearance. The Charger was designed to accept any one of Dodge's high performance engines.

The Charger's interior includes such amenities as power windows and ventilated seatbacks. The Charger features fully padded four bucket seats with body molded contours. The door panels on the Charger are smooth and cleanly styled, and are combined with an integrated armrest and door latch. A full length console houses the power window controls, shift selector, and armrests.
The dash cluster has four large pods for easy viewing. The two center pods house the speedometer and tachometer. The rear bucket seats and armrests in the Charger fold down to provide a flat and large cargo area. The rear truck dividing panel also folds flat allowing an addition increase in Charger's cargo area.
Charger II Specifications

Overall Length: 215 inches

Overall Height: 53 inches

Overall Width: 75 inches

Wheelbase: 117 inches

Passenger Capacity: 4

Just in case anyone was drifting off to sleep, here's another one!

This next car is the Charger III which I believe was also pictured somewhere else in this thread.

The Charger III was the most aerodynamic car built by Chrysler Corporation. The experimental car is long, low-slung, and sleek. The Charger III is built upon the ideas learned in the development of it predecessor, the Charger II.

The jet fighter styled Charger was designed in Dodge's styling studios, and constructed in secrecy at an old brick building along Detroit's water front. The futuristic experimental design showcases new ideas that may be standard in the future Chrysler models.

Dodge's general manager Robert B. McCurry stated, "Charger III is an idea car. Or, it might better be called an exchange of ideas. This experimental vehicle is our way of showing the public some of the design and engineering concepts which we have developed. From the public, we learned what they would like (or not like) to see in tomorrow's automobile. That is why we conduct special consumer surveys at auto shows. Many of the features seen in Charger III might well be included in our cars in the not too distant future."

The Charger III's body is painted with a custom "Candy Apple" red paint. The Charger III has no doors or windows that open. Instead, with the push of a button a jet aircraft style canopy swing up. The twin bucket seats elevate eight inches while the steering wheel pod assembly swings away to aid in driver entry. Once the driver is seated, another push of the button closes the canopy and return the steering wheel and seats to their proper orientation.

The long tapered hood houses the concealed headlights and twin air scoops with debris shields. As with the Charger II, the Charger III will accept any of the Dodge V8 engines including the 426 cu-in Hemi. One of the Charger's experimental features include an engine service hatch. The hatch is located at the rear of the driver's front fender. The service hatch includes gauges that can quickly check the fluid level of the engine oil, engine coolant, and battery fluid. The gauges replace the traditional dip-sticks, and aid in fast maintenance checks. The hatch also houses the vehicle's electrical fuses.

The rear of the Charger houses the experimental braking system. Three air brake flaps are synchronized with the Charger's regular braking system and acts as a supplementary "air foil" brake. Locked under the brake flaps are twin quick fill gas caps. The rear finish panel houses the full width taillight system and the twin rectangular exhaust tips.

The interior of the Charger III is space craft inspired. Astronaut style bucket seats have integrated head rests and quick release seat belts. The full length center console houses the automatic transmission selector lever, parking brake lever, passenger assist handle, and onboard chemical fire extinguisher. As with the Charger II, the Charger III has no vent windows. Fresh air in brought through scoops at the base of the windshield canopy. The fresh air circulates throughout the interior and is exhausted through rear vents.

The lower left portion pf the canopy houses the integrated driver controls such as lighting, windshield washers, wipers, radio, heater, and air conditioning. The driver's swing away instrument pod incorporates speedometer, tachometer, clock, and engine gauges. All of the driver controls and swing away pod instrumentation are utilized from a standard 1968 Dodge Charger.
[img]
]http://home.att.net/~scatpack/images/charger36.jpg[/img]
Charger III Specifications

Overall Height: 42 inches

Overall Length: 184 inches

Overall Width: 73 inches

Wheelbase: 100 inches

Passenger Capacity: 2

Hope y'all enjoyed our latest installment!

This concludes this evening's photo session!

John
OneBadSuperbird