The 400 2 barrel in my C body has 3 lbs of oil pressure, a huge ghetto sounding leak in the left header, and #2 cylinder has no compression to speak of. On top of that, it's current operating temp is 230 degrees on the highway. I drove it right into the ground, and I'm expecting to find cracked head, blown head gaskets, sunk exhaust seats, trashed bearings and so on when I eventually tear it down. It had 53,000 miles on it when I got it, and went about 160,000, so I can't really complain. But I'm getting tired of it sitting there.

With all that, and being that the 440 I overhauled on the cheap back in 1987 or so (then flogged for 14 years in the GTX)....having been hosed with fogging oil and mothballed since 2001, then pulled out running decent 12.50s at 108) I decided to go through the 440 and throw it in the C body for awhile. Just to make sure everything is cool, not to try to make it "perfect" since it will spend most of it's time just puttering around anyway....on the cheap, just like in the '80s....

Insert shameless plug for ARengineering motor dolly here.

7212260-ol440.jpg (492 downloads)
Last edited by ZIPPY; 05/19/12 12:25 PM.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri