04/17/17 10:07 AM
04/17/17 10:07 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Well i sold my beautiful '70... And after 18 years it was hard. I had no designs to get another old car... not until i could just go out and buy a runner. But all ov two days after creating a hole in my driveway... i found myself on the computer, trying to go to bed (waiting for something to load, as usual), and so... i wandered into Craigslist for something to do. And right there... looking at me is a 1970 Challenger (only, its a 74), and its cheap... Oh dear. Oh dearohdear... I swear i've seen this car before on there (i'm sure many ov you have too)... but not this cheap. Ad says phone after 8 AM, so i stay up till then, phone him at 8:15, and already he's got two guys coming out that morning to view it. I tell him i'll be there in 30 minutes (its an hour away). I get there in 35, it looks every bit the roach it is in the pics... but its speaking to me. Driving there... i'm pricing out a 4-speed, a posi, an engine, and a rally hood. I ask him if its got any parts... and he shows me a 4-speed... bellhouse to pistol grip, a rallye hood, the posi's in the car, and the engine (original is gone) is there too... running and ready to re-install (just a truck 360, but i'm going Magnum anyways... i can sell this one). He shows me many more parts than this. ALL the good HP stuff is there. I show him a stack ov hundreds, he trailers it to my house the next day. BOOM! I'm gonna get castrated for this... but i dont care... i WILL be DRIVING a badass 4-gear Challenger THIS SUMMER.

I know you just want the details:
1974 Rallye Challenger, B5 blue (car is painted black now), black vinyl roof, black interior. 360, 4-speed, 3.23 sure-grip, power discs, power steering, rallye cluster, buckets, console, HP suspension (that is actually sitting nice and high/stiff... and NOT with shackles), front and rear sway bars, dual sport mirrors, it has a full tag. And perfect for my needs... its got a 71 front clip... with a decent 70 grille. This is cool, because i still have a nice, straight 70 rear bumper and brackets (all i'll need is a 70 front bumper/brackets, and rear marker lights).

Now, the bad... This thing is a roach. It is rusty. God damn vinyl roof (an aftermarket one no less... some asshat actually re-installed a new one after painting it black) did its damage... and the roof is pretty religious around the rear window... but everywhere else, even the roof seam and the front pillars, are 100% clean. A tree fell on it and did a bit more damage too... but it didn't break the glass. Floors are rotten... from front to back, side to side. The trunk is actually better than my 70's was... but its holy. The trunk lid is rotten... which is LOVELY because i just bloody sold a nice one. I'm not worried about rust... rust doesn't scare me... But the mickey-mouse wiring 'mods' make me leery. Bad enough this thing had a zillion factory options... but some twit installed a few ov his own... full Radio Shack stereo (cut up some nice kick panels too, the sh!t), remote trunk, gauges, and a few other lovelies i haven't quite identified yet.

YET.... perfect frame rails (never been hit, far as i can tell, and NOT twisted!), nice glass, only one big crack in the dash, nice bucket/console, even under the battery is solid. Doors close nice, windows roll down nice, and ITS COMPLETE. It doesn't need EVERY GOD DAMN THING like my 6cyl 70 did. I could quite literally just bolt this sucker back together in a couple days, glass the rust and drive it. Hell... I just might.

Its missing only a rad (26" too!), a rear valence (i want a plain one anyways... going T/A exhaust), clutch/pressure plate/flywheel, steering wheel (gonna use my Tuff Wheel), rearview mirror, and a rear seat (i just GAVE away a Cuda rear seat last year... Grrr...). Its also missing whatever stock wheels came with it, i dont know.

Now... what to do with this sucker. Gotta admit, was a bit irked when i found out it was an actual 74 360 4-speed rallye... as thats actually a pretty cool, rare car. I have no plans to restore it... i want a basher. I want to completely de-option it and road race it (build the stock-looking 70 T/A i wanted to with the last one). But i feel a bit guilty. Hmmm... Upside is... it WILL get driven, and built. I'm not sure it was gonna get restored had i not bought it. People get stupid when it comes to rust. Likely would have been parted.

Got a PILE o pictures coming. Here's a taster, plus the tag if any ov you tag readers wanna decode it for me...

The Muss  1.pngThe Muss angle.pngMuss tag.png
Last edited by Pale_Roader; 04/18/17 07:15 AM.
Re: 1974 Rallye Challenger, 360 4-speed - My new road hammer... [Re: Pale_Roader] #2289830
04/18/17 12:49 AM
04/18/17 12:49 AM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
You know the VIN serial number is repeated on the second tag, right.

Re: 1974 Rallye Challenger, 360 4-speed - My new road hammer... [Re: Morty426] #2289899
04/18/17 07:17 AM
04/18/17 07:17 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Originally Posted By Morty426
You know the VIN serial number is repeated on the second tag, right.

Heh... yeah i saw that, but its such a pain in the ass to post pics on this site, and it was bedtime i said screw it. Also wanted to show there WAS a second tag... that was not a vin tag. I've never seen that before.

And then there's this:

You had me at hello...

Muss trans.png
Last edited by Pale_Roader; 04/18/17 07:51 AM.
Re: 1974 Rallye Challenger, 360 4-speed - My new road hammer... [Re: Pale_Roader] #2289902
04/18/17 07:42 AM
04/18/17 07:42 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

Some ov the fun bits...

Haven't had a rallye dash in a Challenger since my very first one... WAY better. Was gonna sell the hood, but upon further inspection, its a bit rough, so i'll probably just use it till i can find some fiberglass. Doors and panels are all decent, but god DAMN they feel heavy compared to my 70's doors. You can feel it. Hmmm... Weight bothers me. And here's all the spare stuff, not including a brand new set ov headers (i'm going to sell), and an Edelbrock Torker 340 (i'm also going to sell).

Muss int.pngMuss hood 1.pngMuss drs.pngMuss pts.png
Re: 1974 Rallye Challenger, 360 4-speed - My new road hammer... [Re: Pale_Roader] #2289903
04/18/17 07:47 AM
04/18/17 07:47 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

And one last one for tonight... a hint ov what i have in store...

Priced out some wheels today, some sick [censored] i have always wanted. Also priced out some headers... some real headers that dont hang low. LOVELY how $400 and $640 turns into $600 and $750 with this sh!t dollar... Between that and the mufflers i need i've already eaten up 2/3 ov my budget. Hmmm...

Muss rr.png
Re: 1974 Rallye Challenger, 360 4-speed - My new road hammer... [Re: Pale_Roader] #2320970
06/14/17 07:28 AM
06/14/17 07:28 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Well, the work began last week. Before that, its been budgeting, collecting parts, securing parts, and trading stuff. I gotta say... in almost 30 years, and probably 40 cars, i have NEVER had a project fall into place like this one before. Everyone is so quick to note how nasty the rust is... and it is... but dammit... this car WANTS to be built, and driven. I've pulled the interior and gutted the engine compartment ov anything i'm not gonna use, and aside from the 74-only shoulder belt system (which fought me EVERY step ov the way) which... i had no intention ov using anyways, every screw and bolt, every piece... cooperated. Thats saying a LOT considering how rusty this sucker is... like, i'm pretty sure it was parked on its roof in a swamp for a couple years rusty... I have NEVER seen interior pieces... all ABOVE the door line... so rusty. The skeleton under the headliner is pretty rotten... so i'll be cutting out the bad and piecing in the new. I might take this opportunity to lose a bit more weight. I dont really need the structure... as i'll be roll-bar and subframe-connecting this thing.

Here's just the sheer luck i've had so far... off the top ov my head:

- My 74 front bumper magically turned into a 70, just with the cheesy bumperettes (toss).

- My cheapass found 'em in the trunk headers i was going to sell to fund my Dougs 453r headers turned out to BE Dougs 453r headers! ($750 savings). Good thing no one scooped 'em before i figured this out! What the hell... are the chances???

- Scored a used Magnum cam: Bullet custom 237/245@50 w .555 lift and 108 lobe centers... So with the added compression (9.5:1 to 10:1 actual, depending on how i do it) this sucker's gonna chop like a top-fuel Harley...

- I just happen to have a straight, complete 70 rear bumper, then a 70-71 rear quarter pops up used for $100... Now just need another, and some marker lights

- Found some 70-71 fiberglass fenders, nice quality, nice shape... cheap

- Found some 70 taillights too... now just need a tail panel (a friend might have one)

- Found a driver-quality black rear seat at the swap meet for $30

- The guy i sold my red 70 to was nice enough to GIVE me back my 295/50 BFG's... he delivered all 4 for free

- He's also giving me my little non-sport mirror back so i can delete the dual sport mirrors

Further... the universe conspires to make this sucker a lightweight. I've since picked up, mostly used:

- Crosswind aluminum air-gap intake for the 360 Magnum i'm putting together (new in box)
- aluminum underdrive pulleys
- MP aluminum valve covers (though non-Magnum ones... hoping to trade for Magnum ones)
- aluminum driveshaft
- 19lb 15x8" steel wheels (sooooo nice...) These were bought new.
- got a T/A hood being built for me, should be done in a week
- fiberglass fenders

Also... i may have found the holy grail... a 295/50-15 tire that ISN'T garbage car-show fare. Found me some new ultra-high performance H-rated meats that might just hold the road with the suspension mods i have planned. First phase anyways... ultimately, and unfortunately... i'll be going to 18" at my first opportunity.

Preliminary math should put this thing around 3150lbs curb... and thats before i start really hacking, or spending money. With the next engine and phase two mods i can easily see this thing under 3000lbs... which is cruisin' for a 74 E-body and a 4-speed. These cars in this spec start out around 3550lbs. With the default 360 Magnum throw-together build i'll have a bit over 400HP, or with the more ambitious (more budget really) 'trick' throw-together sleaze build i'll have closer to 450HP. This sucker should fly...

Last edited by Pale_Roader; 06/14/17 07:29 AM.
Re: 1974 Rallye Challenger, 360 4-speed - My new road hammer... [Re: Pale_Roader] #2320972
06/14/17 08:00 AM
06/14/17 08:00 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

I'll post up some pics pretty quick here, but for now, the plant...

Another cool twist ov fate, i picked up what has easily got to be the nicest, tightest, cleanest used engine i've ever come across. Found a 2000 5.9 Magnum, out ov a Ram no less (didn't want a Dakota or Jeep one), low miles, and get this... 175-180 psi across all 8. Thats higher than normal and tight as [censored].

Pulled the heads and found the pistons .047"-.052" down the hole... which is a lot better than the .070" i've been reading about. The more ambitious route will be to tear it down, cut the decks .040", and use a .0215" steel gasket for a tiiiiight .030"-.035" quench.

Going to port the heads a bit, clean 'em up, chop the guides for bigger springs and shave 'em a bit for an even 10:1 compression. Hopefully... i'll be able to cut the pistons for clearance, but if the math wont cooperate, i'll just port/shave the heads and bolt it back together as is.

Bought a 237/245 (at .030") .555 (at 1.6) 108 Bullet cam used. Thats a bit bigger than any ov the 360 Magnum builds i've read use... a lot bigger than some... and they all make in excess ov 400HP. I do want this thing to sound good... really good... even at the expense ov driveability (i'm not worried) or mileage. This thing should chop...

Crosswind (RPM Air-Gap ripoff) intake i scored for (the equivalent ov) $80USD.

Holley Street Avenger 670 carb. Okay, now this is small for this build. But we had it working decent on a 440, and i do want some kind ov MPG from this thing... daily driver as it is... so this is the starting point at least. I can see a flowed 750 in its future though.

Dougs 453r headers... albeit an older design... so none ov this dragging primaries bullsh!t. I will upgrade to newer ones down the road, but for now its nice to save $750.

Building a 3" mandrel, Dr. Gas X-piped, Spintech exhaust... T/A style. I've got this perverse urge however to build some 2.5" zoomies... just for that post-apocalypse stock car aesthetic... Thats kind begging for a fix-it ticket though... Hmmm...

Going with the LA style front end/water pump... and no accessories. I hope to have enough in the budget to score a 16:1 manual steering box (found a siiiiiick deal) in the first phase... and delete the PS. I want the fast ratio pitman too (for 12.7:1 total) and then there's the adapter... so it might blow the budget. We'll see...

Got a McLeod SFI steel lightweight flywheel coming... 20lbs..., and it looks like i'll be trying that ($30) bolt-on key balance adapter to make the zero-balance wheel work on my Magnum. Its not made for a Magnum, but an older 360, but i'm told i wont notice... (???)

Between the wheel, the lighter Magnum internals, and the aluminum shaft, this sucker should rev quick and lose a lot less HP through the driveline than i'm used to. Not to mention rollers almost 10lbs lighter per corner...

Kinda hamstringing myself after all this with the planned 2.76 gears... but this is a highway car... a canyon killer. If it can haul ass from a 30mph roll, i'll be more than happy. I need a car thats happy at 120-150mph. Obviously, i'll be going 5 or 6-speed overdrive at the first opportunity. Preferably T56...

360 Mag.png360 Mag heads.pngMP VC's.pngHolley 670 SA.png
Re: 1974 Rallye Challenger, 360 4-speed - My new road hammer... [Re: Pale_Roader] #2320974
06/14/17 08:16 AM
06/14/17 08:16 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

My $80 (new) intake

My found in the trunk junk (free) Dougs... or VERY close facsimile 453r headers

My left-field what are the chances aluminum driveshaft score (parked on top ov a 73 trunklid some guy just gave me...

Slick trick to (hopefully) save me drilling up my expensive new flywheel...

Crosswind Air-gap.pngDougs? 453 headers.pngChallenger driveshafts.png360 flywheel balance adapter.png
Re: 1974 Rallye Challenger, 360 4-speed - My new road hammer... [Re: Pale_Roader] #2322000
06/16/17 05:44 AM
06/16/17 05:44 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Well... not that i was going to use them anyways (too heavy and clunky), but now its moot anyways. The driver side bolt snapped, and the passenger side... despite three days ov soaking in Liquid Wrench, literally tore its base free ov the skeleton. Sore idiot spec'd Torx bolts on the lower anchors, and i dont have Torx. Further, my vise-grips have seemingly gone walk-a-bout and well... i was out ov patience... so i just ground 'em off. Not like they were going to turn anyways. I have never in my life snapped a seat-belt bolt... until this car. I broke FOUR here (plus the two Torx i just ground off). So i guess i'm looking for a pair ov outer front seat belts. Juuuust enough to placate a nosy cop. I never use 'em anyways...

Crazy enough, the rear floor pans weren't much worse than my 'nice' Challenger (the trunk is actually better... a lot better. Just rusty into the seams is all. This car will eventually get full floors. I'll buy whatever comes up used, thats the beauty ov this basher... i dont feel the need to search high and low for factory (original) sheet metal.

Looks a lot better sitting there now too... i scored some 15x7" steelies from a friend and put some pretty meats on it. Also pulled all the chrome. Might seem trivial... but it keeps me inspired. I LOVE how high this thing sits... And NO shackles, air shocks or other disco goofiness... The springs just sit high. Excellent...

Lunger new.pngSkeleton rust.pngLunger floor.pngShoulder belts.png
Last edited by Pale_Roader; 06/16/17 05:47 AM.
Re: 1974 Rallye Challenger, 360 4-speed - My new road hammer... [Re: Pale_Roader] #2322002
06/16/17 05:59 AM
06/16/17 05:59 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

This sucker is already right stanced out. Not gonna have to change a thing. Hell... it might rise a bit more yet... as i have more weight to take out ov it.

Engine compartment could be worse... I see a lot ov original in there, and not much ugly. PS is going away, as will be the power brakes... as soon as i can find the manual stuff. Wouldn't mind finding a 2-speed wiper motor too. And for all the electrical gadgetry and additions the genius previous owner (ie: Mr. J.C. Whitney customer ov the decade...) had spliced and splotched in there, the original harness miraculously seems more or less unhacked.

Last pic... hard to see, but there's half a 74 Challenger in there. I love my Anti-Life Mobile...

Stance.pngEngine comp.pngParts.png
Re: 1974 Rallye Challenger, 360 4-speed - My new road hammer... [Re: Pale_Roader] #2324551
06/21/17 06:02 AM
06/21/17 06:02 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline OP
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline OP
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

Yeah... i have many friends who weld, including a handful ov career welders. This car needs a LOT ov welding. NO ONE'S that good a friend... So i scored this lil sweetie today, a full kit, including a box fulla tips, parts, regulator, all the gas stuff... without the actual gas)... $200! Brand new... used maybe 3-4 times.

Guess i'm learning to weld...

Welder.png