Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline OP
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
I'm pulling my Holley Strip Dominator single plane intake off to replace with Perfomer RPM dual-plane (it had more bottom end grunt where I needed it).

Once I pulled the intake, upon closer inspection I noticed that 3 of the 16 lifters (SealedPower HT2011R) popped the retainer clip out.

So here is what my lifters look like:

And here is the clip that popped out:

Now, when originally installed I set these up with 0 (zero) pre-load, they are meant to do this. However the motor was a little noisy so I re-adjusted my rocker arms to give them a tad of pre-load (basically 1/2 turn from zero). Motor quieted down, all seemed good.

I suspect that the extra pre-load actually caused the retaining clips to pop-out...they have never done this before when I ran them with zero pre-load.

Is it acceptable for me to simply re-assemble the lifter with the clip? Or is this something that I should be worried about?

I took one of the lifters, disassembled it, all looked good, re-assembled and the clip slid right in. Looks like it should be good, but I do not want this failing once it's up and running.

Looking around I see that SealedPower seems to have moved to the hard snap-ring retainer...

Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: Diplomat360] #1833762
05/25/15 11:40 AM
05/25/15 11:40 AM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline OP
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
OK, no one?

I like the solid-looking NEWer version of this lifter with it's snap-ring retainer. Does anyone know the diameter of the snap-ring I'd need to use?

I am thinking I might as well just replace all the metal retaining clips with the snap-ring...

Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: Diplomat360] #1833766
05/25/15 11:48 AM
05/25/15 11:48 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Originally Posted By Diplomat360
OK, no one?

I like the solid-looking NEWer version of this lifter with it's snap-ring retainer. Does anyone know the diameter of the snap-ring I'd need to use?

I am thinking I might as well just replace all the metal retaining clips with the snap-ring...

I would have a issue with just throwing another clip
at it... it came apart once already..... JMO
wave

Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: Diplomat360] #1833772
05/25/15 11:56 AM
05/25/15 11:56 AM
Pa
Hot 340 Offline
master
Hot 340  Offline
master

Pa
Who knows. The lifters with the newer snap ring might be machined differently than what you have. Hyd lifters are cheap. Toss em and put in new ones.

Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: Diplomat360] #1833820
05/25/15 01:15 PM
05/25/15 01:15 PM
Charlotte, NC
L
LSP Offline
pro stock
LSP  Offline
pro stock
L

Charlotte, NC
If your lifter body ID has been machined for the Tru Arc clip like used in your bottom lifter picture, I'd replace all those thin retainers with the Tru Arc style. A Northern Tool by me stocks a good selection of the Tru Arc's.

Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: LSP] #1833851
05/25/15 01:52 PM
05/25/15 01:52 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Usually the clips or retaining rings pop out because you don't have the proper preload.With proper preload the plunger should never contact the retainer.If it plunger contacts the retainer it will pop it out.When setting preload on a hydrualic lifter turn the rocker adjuster to zero lash then 1/4 to 1/2 turn to set the plunger away from the retainer.Make sure the lifter is on the bottom of the cam lobe.Do not reuse the retainer.

Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: Diplomat360] #1833953
05/25/15 03:50 PM
05/25/15 03:50 PM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline OP
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
Alright...thanks guys!

I'm leaning towards replacing the spring clips first. The problem as LSP pointed out is that I have no way of knowing if the newer style lifter is machined the same way as the older style.

A set of new HT2011R lifter is about $110, not a bad price given the headache of this stuff coming apart again. My only worry there is tossing NEW lifters on a used cam...the current ones are already mated up with the cam lobes...am I not potentially looking at screwing up my cam?

I've replaced a few cams in my past, but each one was always installed with a NEW set of lifters and I have never done this half-life replacement...so please educate me on the potential (or lack of) for wear problems and best re-start process. I'm guessing if I treat the new lifters/old cam as a NEW combo I would just go through my regular "new cam break-in" process...is that sufficient?

Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: B G Racing] #1833964
05/25/15 04:00 PM
05/25/15 04:00 PM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline OP
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
Originally Posted By B G Racing
Usually the clips or retaining rings pop out because you don't have the proper preload.With proper preload the plunger should never contact the retainer.If it plunger contacts the retainer it will pop it out.When setting preload on a hydrualic lifter turn the rocker adjuster to zero lash then 1/4 to 1/2 turn to set the plunger away from the retainer.Make sure the lifter is on the bottom of the cam lobe.Do not reuse the retainer.

The HT2011R lfiters are specifically meant to be installed with zero lifter pre-load (this is as per their instructions). The thinking there is that by removing all the pre-load from the start the lifters never actually pump-up at the higher RPM. This is how I had originally set them up.

I see that CompCams now shows the following in their Adjustment Instructions for the ProMagnum lifters "...Through various testing we have discovered that the recommended lifter pre-load should be set between zero and 1/8 of a turn for optimal performance...", so with these lifter bodies they seem to be pursuing similar approach to the HT2011R lfiters.

I will tell you that my motor easily went to 6500 RPM with these lifters adjusted to zero pre-load and my HE3844AL cam. Once I introduced the slight amount of pre-load to quiet it down the RPM did drop and the motor would not pull as high anymore...so my crude "butt-meter" did validate the whole anti pump-up theory.

Your point about the plunger contacting the retainer is well taken though. Given that I actually pre-loaded these during my last adjustment I'm guessing that the lifters did pump-up and maybe I actually got into a bit of valve-float situation where the retainer no longer captured the plunger in the lifter body.

Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: Diplomat360] #1834008
05/25/15 05:19 PM
05/25/15 05:19 PM
oklahoma
F
forphorty Offline
pro stock
forphorty  Offline
pro stock
F

oklahoma
My question is: If you are going to set them at zero lash, thereby negating the self adjusting properties of a hydraulic lifter, why not just run a solid cam and lifters?

Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: forphorty] #1834277
05/26/15 12:34 AM
05/26/15 12:34 AM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline OP
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
Originally Posted By forphorty
My question is: If you are going to set them at zero lash, thereby negating the self adjusting properties of a hydraulic lifter, why not just run a solid cam and lifters?

Well, I picked these lifters way back when (no joke, we're talking like around 2001-2002 when I was going through the engine block machining and final parts gathering) and mechanical cam was not part of the build at that time.

Having said that, the anti pump-up lifters do give you the flexibility of having the lifters still deliver some of that self-adjustement, but it is very minimized. The end result is you do not run any lash, and have no need to re-adjust your mechanical cam setup. Hyphothetically, the best of both worlds.

OK, reality is a bit different, a mechanical cam can be a lot more aggresive then a comparable hydraulic cam, or if of comparable dur @ 0.050 it will have better street manners then any hydraulic bumpstick.

Hey...you do, you learn...lol...right now I'm grumpy because my weekend intake swap plan turned into a week-long lifter replacement job...still need to find the source of the HT2011R lifters and get that shipped by next weekend....

Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: Diplomat360] #1834834
05/26/15 09:11 PM
05/26/15 09:11 PM
montreal, quebec,canada
7e5dartsport Offline
7e5dartsport  Offline

montreal, quebec,canada
as has been said, the clips of the lifters got out because you had lash at some point during engine operation, allowing the `cups` of the lifters to contact the retaining clips. i looked in the speed-pro catalog (sealed power), and for the anti pump-up lifters they advise setting lash at .002in. HOT. they also recommend that if the engine is noisy at this setting, that you should tighten the lash. after seeing what this approach did to your lifters, i would lash HOT for a 1/8 to a 1/4 turn preload. i would use NEW lifters, same brand ok. as for installment precautions, while the lifters are out of the engine, i would directly pour thick 20w50 oil on the cam lobes through the openings of the lifter valley and use assembly lube on the base of the lifters before installing them in their bores. for break-in, use the same procedures that would be needed with a new camshaft i.e. 20 minutes at 2000rpms, then change the oil. during break-in, notice if the engine is noisy (valvetrain), if so, tighten the lash a bit AFTER the break-in. this time, you should not have a problem with your lifters again.

Last edited by 7e5dartsport; 05/26/15 09:37 PM.

fully legal sounds the same as full illegal...
Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: B G Racing] #1834851
05/26/15 09:51 PM
05/26/15 09:51 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Originally Posted By B G Racing
iagree - or you floated the valves and the pumped in to the retainers.

Fastest 300
Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: Diplomat360] #1835014
05/27/15 01:27 AM
05/27/15 01:27 AM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline OP
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
Alright you guys, I spent some time on the phone today trying to locate the new HT2011R lifters...no luck, Summit does not have them in-stock until Jun-1st. Even called FederalMogul (SpeedPro, SealedPower parent company), got a real friendly tech on the phone, described the situation to him but he didn't have any technical details (sizing, etc) on the lifter components. Not wanting to just sit there and wait I carried on...call me crazy, but here is what I've done:

1) I could not measure the ID of the lifter body machined grove (this is where the clip is retained within the lifter body), which meant I did not know the exact 'Grove Size Diameter'

2) I took a peek at my CompCams hydraulic roller lifters (retro-fit) and as it turned out they were using the snap-ring retainers, so off I went "sacrificing" one (well, I carefully removed the snap-ring)

3) I measured the dimensions of the ring, trial fitted into my HT2011R lifter body, it worked perfectly, once installed in the HT2011R lifter the snap-ring 'Gap Width' was exactly the same as when installed in the CompCams roller lifters, thus my conclusion that the "fit was right"

4) I hit on-line, maxing out the Google search engine (LOL, I'm an IS guy by profession) lights dimmed everywhere...eventually I came up with the RotorClip site (rotorclip.com) where a massive amounts of data is available for these snap-rings, and many other types

5) I measured all the lifter body, plunger, CompCams roller lifter snap-ring dimensions and easily, I mean I didn't even break sweat on their site (RotorClip), matched it up to the HO-68 snap-ring...I've attached the PDF drawing and their snap-ring catalog pages just for kicks...but it sure looks like this snap-ring is the right one.

Sooo...I'm hitting Fastenal tomorrow in hopes of being able to order a bunch of these. If I can, I will be able to re-use my lifters with the improved snap-ring retainer!!!

Attached PDF document
HO-68-2R0.pdf (173 downloads)
Attached PDF document
ho.pdf (162 downloads)
Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: Diplomat360] #1835081
05/27/15 08:11 AM
05/27/15 08:11 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
I can't see the pictures , flat tappet or roller ? Did the clip come completely out or only part way and the cup was cocked ?

I had a clip come part way out, cocked the cup and it stopped the lifter from rotating, ground the lobe off the cam.

running up my post count some more .
Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: JohnRR] #1835233
05/27/15 01:29 PM
05/27/15 01:29 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

So many manufactured parts are standardized. O-rings, Snap rings and clips, seals, rolling element bearings, and Woodruff keys are just a few of the things that are made in specific sizes.

The designer needs a certain part so he looks in the catalog and picks out the one that meets his needs.

The designer does not figure out what he needs, then get someone to build it. That would be stupid.

Good for you to figure that out!

R.

Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: Diplomat360] #1835307
05/27/15 03:07 PM
05/27/15 03:07 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Originally Posted By Diplomat360
Alright you guys, I spent some time on the phone today trying to locate the new HT2011R lifters...no luck, Summit does not have them in-stock until Jun-1st. Even called FederalMogul (SpeedPro, SealedPower parent company), got a real friendly tech on the phone, described the situation to him but he didn't have any technical details (sizing, etc) on the lifter components. Not wanting to just sit there and wait I carried on...call me crazy, but here is what I've done:

1) I could not measure the ID of the lifter body machined grove (this is where the clip is retained within the lifter body), which meant I did not know the exact 'Grove Size Diameter'

2) I took a peek at my CompCams hydraulic roller lifters (retro-fit) and as it turned out they were using the snap-ring retainers, so off I went "sacrificing" one (well, I carefully removed the snap-ring)

3) I measured the dimensions of the ring, trial fitted into my HT2011R lifter body, it worked perfectly, once installed in the HT2011R lifter the snap-ring 'Gap Width' was exactly the same as when installed in the CompCams roller lifters, thus my conclusion that the "fit was right"

4) I hit on-line, maxing out the Google search engine (LOL, I'm an IS guy by profession) lights dimmed everywhere...eventually I came up with the RotorClip site (rotorclip.com) where a massive amounts of data is available for these snap-rings, and many other types

5) I measured all the lifter body, plunger, CompCams roller lifter snap-ring dimensions and easily, I mean I didn't even break sweat on their site (RotorClip), matched it up to the HO-68 snap-ring...I've attached the PDF drawing and their snap-ring catalog pages just for kicks...but it sure looks like this snap-ring is the right one.

Sooo...I'm hitting Fastenal tomorrow in hopes of being able to order a bunch of these. If I can, I will be able to re-use my lifters with the improved snap-ring retainer!!!
Awesome! You're good to go!

Fastest 300
Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: JohnRR] #1835546
05/27/15 09:04 PM
05/27/15 09:04 PM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline OP
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
Originally Posted By JohnRR
I can't see the pictures , flat tappet or roller ? Did the clip come completely out or only part way and the cup was cocked ?

I had a clip come part way out, cocked the cup and it stopped the lifter from rotating, ground the lobe off the cam.

Flat tappet. No...luckily for me the plunger was not cocked as it came out easy once I pulled the lifters...I have 1 more lifter to check but the previous 2 there were no issues.

Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: Diplomat360] #1835587
05/27/15 10:22 PM
05/27/15 10:22 PM
Charlotte, NC
L
LSP Offline
pro stock
LSP  Offline
pro stock
L

Charlotte, NC
Nice work Diplomat360!

Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: Diplomat360] #2350994
08/08/17 10:16 PM
08/08/17 10:16 PM
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
ForcedInductions Offline
ForcedInductions  Offline

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
any confirmation this actually worked?
i had the same saturday night and missed out on a car show fundraiser sunday.

lucky no carnage aside from pride and some $$$

time for some new rockers and push rods
but id like to retain the lifters as they are new.
and it looks like just faulty retainer wire.
just would feel safer with the snap rings.

Re: LIFTER - OK to re-assemble, or should I replace? [Re: ForcedInductions] #2351228
08/09/17 10:54 AM
08/09/17 10:54 AM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Offline OP
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
Originally Posted By ForcedInductions
any confirmation this actually worked?...

Sent you a PM...in the meantime I'm looking for some pics to post in this thread to better illustrate why I could not make the snap-ring in the old style lifter work...well, it was "iffy", so I took the safer way out since I had everything taken apart anyways and replacing the lifters was easy to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2