Chicago,Illinois
N
nosboy Offline OP
enthusiast
nosboy  Offline OP
enthusiast
N

Chicago,Illinois
What was up with the lines at MATS.. a LOT OF GUYS were getting REALLY PISSED because SOMEONE was letting SOME PEOPLE go right through and others were directed to WAIT IN LINE for a BUNCH OF HOURS... WHAT GIVES WITH THAT.. I heard people REALLY PISSED off at GRANATELLI MOTOR SPORTS because he drove RIGHT IN and BYPASSED all of the lines... is he SPECIAL OR SOMETHING???? They probably had EIGHT LINES and was taking two rigs from EACH LINE.... WHO'S BRIGHT IDEA was that????? EVERY DRAGSTRIP that I've been at has TWO LINES and you get in line JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE and WAIT YOUR TURN..... Not at MATS..... ??????? People wanted to STAB GRANATELLIS TIRES....

Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: nosboy] #1221738
04/24/12 05:31 PM
04/24/12 05:31 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
??? Besides that, how did the car run Gary?

Fastest 300
Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: Crizila] #1221739
04/24/12 05:41 PM
04/24/12 05:41 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Maybe they are taking lessons from FireBird Racway.

Fastest 300
Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: nosboy] #1221740
04/24/12 05:46 PM
04/24/12 05:46 PM
bean town ....Ca
W
WHITEDART Offline
master
WHITEDART  Offline
master
W

bean town ....Ca
Quote:

What was up with the lines at MATS.. a LOT OF GUYS were getting REALLY PISSED because SOMEONE was letting SOME PEOPLE go right through and others were directed to WAIT IN LINE for a BUNCH OF HOURS... WHAT GIVES WITH THAT.. I heard people REALLY PISSED off at GRANATELLI MOTOR SPORTS because he drove RIGHT IN and BYPASSED all of the lines... is he SPECIAL OR SOMETHING???? They probably had EIGHT LINES and was taking two rigs from EACH LINE.... WHO'S BRIGHT IDEA was that????? EVERY DRAGSTRIP that I've been at has TWO LINES and you get in line JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE and WAIT YOUR TURN..... Not at MATS..... ??????? People wanted to STAB GRANATELLIS TIRES....

well thet got there wish because win i was in teck some one from the granatellis got takeing way in a red and white van with pretty flashing lights on top? some said they ran over the old man with the car may be some one will have more info besides that every year is a joke getting in

In the 8s N/A.with Brett miller W8's
5.07 at 133 at 2700lb
Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: Crizila] #1221741
04/24/12 06:38 PM
04/24/12 06:38 PM
Chicago,Illinois
N
nosboy Offline OP
enthusiast
nosboy  Offline OP
enthusiast
N

Chicago,Illinois
Car ran fine.. 9:93 to around 9:96.. My reaction times were in the .020's to the .040's ,, so I got NOTHING to complain about as far as the car runs. I went FOUR ROUNDS !!!. It just KILLED me to wait in line for ( I don't even want to say how many hours).. but.. the guys in front of me was waiting for around SIX HOURS.... Granatelli drove right in.. Pissed a LOT OF PEOPLE OFF !!! I' don't want anything bad to happen to any racer,,, they were tight lipped and kept to themselves..Maybe what comes along,, goes along... I'm not to judge.. Just sayin....

Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: nosboy] #1221742
04/24/12 06:40 PM
04/24/12 06:40 PM
fresno ca
M
mikeysmopars Offline
top fuel
mikeysmopars  Offline
top fuel
M

fresno ca
Quote:

You were not alone with being mad about the slow moving lines. They were only taking two at a time to the pits and is rather frustrating especially when you have preregistered but that is how it has always been. We seen severl people let it that got there an hour after we got there. Some of the folks that were let in in front of the racers were the venders which I have no problem with and I heard that was what the Grnnetelli's told the mall cop at the gate they were vendors and thats how they got in front of everyone else, We passed them on the highway and got in an hour before us. BTW they had a member get run over unloading thier car, Anyone hear how he's doing?
Anyway asided from having to wait at the gate Our gang of 4 racers & crew all had a great time and hope the painter family can keep it alive. If all we have to whine about over the course of 4 days of Mopar drag racin is waitin in line a while, So Be It!!

7178040-vegas2012070.jpg (67 downloads)

Founder and CEO of the Central Valley Mopar Drag Pack
Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: mikeysmopars] #1221743
04/24/12 07:08 PM
04/24/12 07:08 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
MATS has been better than that in the past, and there is no excuse for the extra slow, random gate technique and poor planning on LVMS's part. They have always treated me well at LVMS, but their lack of attention to the details has always sucked. I would let Phil Painter and Nitro Joe know what you think.

They don't care, but the fact that they couldn't get a schedule out before the middle of March for their season, is the reason I couldn't get out there earlier to do some type of racing before the event. It all worked out but shame on them for not making an effort to be ready for MATS!

Oh....Mike....nice pics!

Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: camastomcat] #1221744
04/24/12 07:51 PM
04/24/12 07:51 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

MATS has been better than that in the past, and there is no excuse for the extra slow, random gate technique and poor planning on LVMS's part. They have always treated me well at LVMS, but their lack of attention to the details has always sucked. I would let Phil Painter and Nitro Joe know what you think.

They don't care, but the fact that they couldn't get a schedule out before the middle of March for their season, is the reason I couldn't get out there earlier to do some type of racing before the event. It all worked out but shame on them for not making an effort to be ready for MATS!

Oh....Mike....nice pics!

Totally agree. There is no excuse for those wait times. Just poor planning. I went the year before and we got in to the pits in about 45 minutes. Not great, but tolerable. All of us want to see the MATS live, which is why the powers to be need a "critique" of the program. It can only make it better for all. Congrats Gary !!!

Fastest 300
Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: Crizila] #1221745
04/24/12 09:51 PM
04/24/12 09:51 PM
Chicago,Illinois
N
nosboy Offline OP
enthusiast
nosboy  Offline OP
enthusiast
N

Chicago,Illinois
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks John.. I hoped to see you and a few others there,, but,, such wasn't the case... It really pissed a LOT OF PEOPLE OFF with the way the security handled the whole situation.. There was ONE LADY on a 4 wheeler parking the cars and she picked ONE rig up at the gate and drove it to it's parking spot and then went back for the next car... MATS ( or the WHOEVER assigned the lady her Job for the day) could have had TWO or THREE people co-ordinating the move in.. She guided me into my spot and tried to start a conversation with me.. I tried to be cordial,, but I couldn't help but thinking " WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU LADY???? GO BACK TO THE GATE AND DO YOUR JOB instead of trying to strike up a conversation with me when there are a HUNDRD people waiting on you"... .. SO MANY PEOPLE said that they would NEVER COME THERE AGAIN.. I've heard it with my own two ears.. The "Painter" better send these people a FREE TEE SHIRT or something to pacify them ( ALONG WITH RECIFYING THE PROBLEM) or he's going to be at MATS by himself next year.... People were GENUINELY PISSED OFF !!! a GOOD MANAGEr will LISTEN to their CUSTOMERS and address the situation.. Not Blow it off... The customers will BLOW THEM OFF the next time they try and throw an
event...
Oh....Mike....nice pics!

Totally agree. There is no excuse for those wait times. Just poor planning. I went the year before and we got in to the pits in about 45 minutes. Not great, but tolerable. All of us want to see the MATS live, which is why the powers to be need a "critique" of the program. It can only make it better for all. Congrats Gary !!!

Last edited by nosboy; 04/24/12 09:53 PM.
Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: nosboy] #1221746
04/24/12 10:02 PM
04/24/12 10:02 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline
master
Jeepmon  Offline
master

Sunnyvale, CA
The Painter family does show favoritism.. Just try to get a room at the Cannery the same weekend.. You cant, because every room is booked to Painter..

But there are two ways to look at it.. Screw Painter and everyone associated with race because they leave out the regular people like you and me..

Or hey.. its their promotion, they pay the money up front for the race.. so why not let them show favoritism...

What really bothers me about the race is the pisspoor track prep they've done (or havent done) these last couple of years.. makes me want to stay away just for that one reason..

Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: Jeepmon] #1221747
04/25/12 12:10 AM
04/25/12 12:10 AM
las vegas
70AARcuda Offline
master
70AARcuda  Offline
master

las vegas
Since I live here, I waited to thursday afternoon, did not want to fight the line again. Still had to wait to "get parked" in the pits. Apparently the track was trying park cars in the same classes in the same areas...

They were trying to keep the bracket cars out of the southwest corner, dont know how well it worked out as I just park in the north 40 were no one else bothers you...and my daughter was not there with the second car ...so i was looking for place no one would crowd us...

Yes..it was stupid...

Tony

70 AARCuda Vitamin C
71 Dart Swinger 360 10.318 @ 128.22(10-04-14 Bakersfield)
71 Demon 360 10.666 @122.41 (01-29-17 @ Las Vegas)
71 Duster 408 (10.29 @ 127.86 3/16/19 Las Vegas)
Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: 70AARcuda] #1221748
04/25/12 01:55 AM
04/25/12 01:55 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
One of the Granetellis, Joey was crushed by the lift inside the stacker! He miraculously survived and last I heard was being released from the hospital. And yes they did just drive right in passed the lines. I was sitting there one of my times when it happened..

As for wait in line I will GUARENTEE NO ONE spent more time that I did in line. I was there three seperate times bringing in cars. I had to get between one idiot and a worker there at one point. Guy was a total idiot. If people would have shown some patinece adn followed along with the program it woud ahve went much smoother. BUt when you get a bunch of guys who rarely race, are excited to get started and have patience what do you expect.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: Al_Alguire] #1221749
04/25/12 11:18 AM
04/25/12 11:18 AM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Doesn't make any difference if you spent more time in line than the next guy or if you race more often than the next guy, etc. If a racer has to spend more than 2 hours in line in order to get in ( whether he lives next door or 1000 miles away ) there is something wrong somewhere and it should be addressed - by the track and /or promoter. I would suggest "they" step up to the plate and admit there was a problem - and friggin address it. - - - and here's a hint for them: Quit playing "segregation" in the pits. It's an unnecessary time waister. No way it was the racers problem because they ran out of patience.

Fastest 300
Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: Crizila] #1221750
04/25/12 11:26 AM
04/25/12 11:26 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
6 hours waiting in line to get in the gates... thats
ridiculous... glad I dont go... and your right, quit
putting classes together... friends want to pit
next to each other

Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: Crizila] #1221751
04/25/12 12:10 PM
04/25/12 12:10 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
WOW did you miss the point. The reason it went so slow is becuase as usual people cannot follow RULES, plain and simple. Had they stayed in line and proceeded in an orderly fashion it would have not taken so long. Were you aware they started loading peopel in early? Were you aware they wqere not loading at all til noon on Thursday? There were people whpo had showed up on Thursday night who were in line t and forced to sit and wait do to the actions of others. The MOB who refused to follow the rules.

Were you there? I was, I witnessed all the dumbsh&%s in line. Not following directions from the security people trying to direct traffic. People driving around them, around other rigs, straight in from the street, yelling at everyone feeling priveledged etc etc. I was there and witnessed it all, I was one of the first folks in the facility. It ws a nice orderly procession UNTIL my second attempt. By that time it was becoming a mob rule mentality, and people decided to NOT listen to direction, or show any sort of common courtesy or human decency. Yelling and threatening security folks and basically doing whatever they wanted. On my third trip in it was back to a nice orderly procession. I went to the back ogf a line, the moved a few cars from each line in and it was smooth and took a toal of 25 minutes for me to get in. Unlike the second attempt.

Perhaps had you been there observing what was transpiring you may understand. It has nothing to do with where I live., or how many cars I brought in. I did not feel privilegded or entitiled. I waited paitently each time and did as instructed. All the while watching all the other a holes who decided they were more important than the rest of the people there.

So in my mind MOST of the issue was the racers. Or better said small minority of them who refuse to flow direction and feel they are better than the rest of us who waited patiently to gain entry.

But what do I know I was just there and pretty sure I saw much more of what went on than anyone else who was

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: Al_Alguire] #1221752
04/25/12 01:28 PM
04/25/12 01:28 PM
las vegas
70AARcuda Offline
master
70AARcuda  Offline
master

las vegas
yes..the racers that were showing up at as the lines were moving would get into the line that was moving instead of getting in the last line...

they need to put some security at the end of the lines to direct newly arrivals to the proper line...

happens every year......

Tony

70 AARCuda Vitamin C
71 Dart Swinger 360 10.318 @ 128.22(10-04-14 Bakersfield)
71 Demon 360 10.666 @122.41 (01-29-17 @ Las Vegas)
71 Duster 408 (10.29 @ 127.86 3/16/19 Las Vegas)
Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: 70AARcuda] #1221753
04/25/12 01:38 PM
04/25/12 01:38 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline
master
Jeepmon  Offline
master

Sunnyvale, CA
Question for you guys..

How much will this impact attendance next year (assuming the have a next year)??

Kaos and long waits just to get in the place.. Marginal track prep... and now the introduction of brand X cars..

To me, it sounds like the event is going south in a quick way..

Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: Jeepmon] #1221754
04/25/12 01:41 PM
04/25/12 01:41 PM
west coast
P
produster Offline
produster  Offline
P

west coast
I will be there next year, if I am still living on the west coast, job keeps me moving sometimes. hoping with my my new car but if not will be there as a spectator. If I would have found the cheap airfare I did monday after I would have been there this year to watch.

Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: 70AARcuda] #1221755
04/25/12 01:42 PM
04/25/12 01:42 PM
fresno ca
M
mikeysmopars Offline
top fuel
mikeysmopars  Offline
top fuel
M

fresno ca
Quote:

yes..the racers that were showing up at as the lines were moving would get into the line that was moving instead of getting in the last line...

they need to put some security at the end of the lines to direct newly arrivals to the proper line...

happens every year......

They did that about 4 years ago.. they'd put a marker on the last car in a spacific line to get all the first come guys in but that went away and its been a free for all since.

Founder and CEO of the Central Valley Mopar Drag Pack
Re: Waiting for HOURS at MATS??? [Re: mikeysmopars] #1221756
04/25/12 02:07 PM
04/25/12 02:07 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
I agree that the people trying to get in shouldn't have been so beligerant with the parking people. But I attribute the main problem to be LVMS's lack of planning that they are famous for. I can't believe they were so understaffed and only had one parking person for the racers. I would esecially like to go again next year and hope they didn't hurt attendence with the rediculous parking situation, but if I were Phil Painter, I might be looking at another place to hold the event. PS I know RMR would like to have it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3