11/02/17 01:10 AM
11/02/17 01:10 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I'm building a 39 Dodge pickup on a 91 Dakota Chassis. I'm using a 5.9 out of a 97 Dodge truck.
I'm having an issue with the dipstick, it fits tight in the tube, and stops all together when it gets to the first curve on the rear sump pan. I've had the pan off and on 3 times now. First I tried to remove the dipstick tube, but it won't come out. I've tried to insert a 5/16" rod from the bottom and tried to drive it out, no go. Then I pounded a 1/4" round rod all the way through the tube (from the bottom first, then from the top). Even after the 1/4" round rod has passed through the tube, it feels like the dipstick is turning just before it enters the block, and when it gets to the curve in the pan, its facing the wrong way and can't follow the curve in the pan. With the pan off, the dipstick will go through the tube in the pan just great, and I know the tube in the pan is lined up with the dipstick tube because that 1/4" rod will pound through the dipstick tube from the top until it hits the curve in the pan. I can't understand why the 1/4" round rod goes through everything up to the curve in the pan, but the dipstick tube wants to turn as it enters the pan in such a way it won't go through the curved in the pan. The worst part was this combo of motor and pan were together in the last vehicle they were in. I believe the dipstick tube may have gotten bent in transit.

After fighting with it all day, I've cut the tube off about 2" from the block, if I can lay the stick horizontally flat, and go straight at the remaining dipstick tube, I can force the tube through the pan, but it has to be a straight shot, something that will never happen when the belts & radiator are in place.

Is there a kit I can add the dipstick to the side of the oil pan and plug off the original dipstick tube hole? Gene

Re: 5.9 Magnum oil dipstick issues, kinda long [Re: poorboy] #2397146
11/02/17 01:52 AM
11/02/17 01:52 AM
garnett kansas
rhad Offline
super stock
rhad  Offline
super stock

garnett kansas
years back some cars had a piece that was riveted to the side of the pan that the dipstick fit into,no idea if you could find one these days?,maybe a antique car restorer or summit???
seems i had a 383 out of a pickup that used some sort of pan mounted dipstick holder?,its been several years and whats left of my memory is fuzzy on some stuff

my ladder of success is missing some rungs
Re: 5.9 Magnum oil dipstick issues, kinda long [Re: rhad] #2397587
11/02/17 11:36 PM
11/02/17 11:36 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX
Originally Posted By rhad
years back some cars had a piece that was riveted to the side of the pan that the dipstick fit into,no idea if you could find one these days?,maybe a antique car restorer or summit???
seems i had a 383 out of a pickup that used some sort of pan mounted dipstick holder?,its been several years and whats left of my memory is fuzzy on some stuff

Actually, big block oil pans for '70's Dodge PU & vans are this way. Probably wouldn't be too hard to replicate on a different pan. None of the pieces are rare one off bits.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: 5.9 Magnum oil dipstick issues, kinda long [Re: poorboy] #2398174
11/03/17 11:07 PM
11/03/17 11:07 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I found a Moroso Dipstick tube "#25970 kit" with a piece you weld into the pan, dipstick tube, and dipstick for just under $24 with shipping. Its suppose to be here Wed. Will see if it works.

The first response reminded me I had a 440 truck years ago with the dipstick in the pan. It leaked like a sieve, hopefully this works better then that one did. Thanks for the help guys. Gene