eastern, pa.
C
cudabitten Offline OP
super stock
cudabitten  Offline OP
super stock
C

eastern, pa.
Getting a 74 barracuda soon, it is white exterior and green interior, was going to change it to blue exterior and black interior. Looking for some opinions on changing these colors, the car is almost completely original. I almost hate to do it, but I don't think this car looks good in the original colors. What do you think?

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: cudabitten] #81108
06/28/08 08:48 PM
06/28/08 08:48 PM
portland or
new bee Offline
Richard Cranium
new bee  Offline
Richard Cranium

portland or
"It's your car - do what you want" is a bit simplistic, but it rings true. I changed the color of my 1969 Super Bee from gold (blech) to vitaman C orange, which was available in 1969 (apparently, no super Bees were painted this color, but hey).
So far, everyone loves it (I think) and it makes me much happier. Thing is, the next fanatic after me is more than welcome to change it back to (blech) gold.
Now, if it was a numbers matching hemi car, there may be a case for keeping it original. However, there was a recent article on the owner of a 1960s Ferrai 250 GTO (worth, what...15-20 million?) who changed the color to metallic red. He loves it, and purists be damned. It's his car, and when it comes time to sell, he'll get all the money for it. You and I, on the other hand, own mass produced cars so what's the harm?
I would say paint it your choice of colors, but if you wanna play it safe, pic a color available for your car's year.
Then drive the heck out of it.

Last edited by new bee; 06/28/08 08:49 PM.

*1969 383 4sp. Super Bee
*1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT
*1965 Porsche 356C
*2004 VW Passat Wagon
*2004 Mini Cooper S
*1967 Jaguar E-Type FHC

A mall cop is in our midst.
Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: new bee] #81109
06/28/08 09:02 PM
06/28/08 09:02 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

"It's your car - do what you want" is a bit simplistic, but it rings true. I changed the color of my 1969 Super Bee from gold (blech) to vitaman C orange, which was available in 1969 (apparently, no super Bees were painted this color, but hey).

Yep! Just don't come crying to the board when you decide to sell it and can't because they don't buy color change cars or don't agree with your personal taste in the color you changed it to.

IMO you should not color change an original collector car, It's expensive to do correctly and just as expensive to reverse should the next guy want to, this fact usually reduces the cars value by the cost of reversing it. My advice? sell the car if you don't like it and use the money to buy one that has the combo you like, it will be worth it in the long run. You asked for opinions, there's mine.

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #81110
06/28/08 09:31 PM
06/28/08 09:31 PM
People's Republic of Kali
70runner Offline
super stock
70runner  Offline
super stock

People's Republic of Kali
Scott, I gotta disagree with you. I think most folks that change a color, add an option, or otherwise alter an original build do so recognizing the potential risk. I don't see many folks around these (mo)parts whining about such choices.

Its your car. Do with it what you wish.

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: 70runner] #81111
06/28/08 09:38 PM
06/28/08 09:38 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
My 1970 Coronet is white with green guts, I love it that way myself.

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: Alaskan_TA] #81112
06/28/08 10:10 PM
06/28/08 10:10 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Years ago when these were just cool old cars, I bought a white '68 Roadrunner that had the burgundy (Decor) interior. I really wanted to change it to black, until a friend mentioned that he couldn't recall seeing my car's combination. I restored the car to its original colors, and not only did I come to really like it, I never saw another one at the same show, and people used to comment constantly that they loved seeing something other than blue, red, or orange with black interior.
I've come to regard black interiors as too common & boring, except where no other interior color would work with the exterior. (It's your car, but since you asked, these are both sides of my opinion.) It's very expensive to color-change a Mopar body, since everything's painted body color. If this is a mainstream 318 car and it needs paint & interior, and you pick something appropriate to the car, it sure wouldn't make you a bad person or anything. That said, colors are pretty personal; while I might be tempted to paint that car F8 & keep the green interior, other people would hate it, and value the car accordingly.

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: 70runner] #81113
06/28/08 10:21 PM
06/28/08 10:21 PM
Rocky Hill, Ct
Roadcuda Offline
super stock
Roadcuda  Offline
super stock

Rocky Hill, Ct
Quote:

Scott, I gotta disagree with you. I think most folks that change a color, add an option, or otherwise alter an original build do so recognizing the potential risk. I don't see many folks around these (mo)parts whining about such choices.

I'm not sure that is completly true. When I bought my Roadrunner I'll admit that I didn't do enough research to see if the exterior or interior colors were correct. There is no build sheet, and the fact that it's a Lynch road car where the fender tags are known to not always have a complete list of options made it difficult to know what was done correctly and what was not when the previous owner had the paint and interior done over. I now know that the F5 paint is no where near the correct shade. I know this from looking inside the trunk and engine compartment where the original paint is still there. And the interior should be green, it is now black, and the car was redone without the vinal roof it came with. I get the feeling that some people will do what they want and like to a car reguardless of what it may do to the value of it down the road. Again, it's that "it's their car and they did what they wanted with it."

4518019-IM000356.JPG (86 downloads)

65 Coronet 500 convertible
69 Fury convertible
69 Roadrunner
75 Scamp
14 Ram 1500
18 Jeep Cherokee
www.69roadrunner.net www.plymouthbulletin.com
Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: Roadcuda] #81114
06/28/08 10:31 PM
06/28/08 10:31 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

I don't see many folks around these (mo)parts whining about such choices.

Well I have, some publically, and some privately....

Either way, there are two schools of thought being posted here and I respect both, my opinion is what it is. I have watched the market pretty closely over the years and I've noticed a pattern with buyers, the more valuable the car, the more originallity (regardless of the options) comes into play concerning what they'll pay, and many won't buy at all regardless of the price if it's been color changed unless the car is REALLY priced low.

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #81115
06/29/08 01:58 AM
06/29/08 01:58 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
It's a 74 Barracuda, not a 71 Hemi Cuda rag. Not like you're flushing 25k down the drain by changing the color or something. I say build it like you want it and tough to people who don't like it.

My satellite's changed from the original triple white, 318 bench seat combo to red with rr stripe with a 440. Somehow I think the value only went up by doing those changes, but again, it's no 100k car here. 74 Barracuda is on the lower end of the E body scale, I would worry too much about it, if need be it can always be changed later. IMO no sense in doing something in a color combo you won't enjoy. But then I don't build cars to sell, I build them for me.

Last edited by not_a_charger; 06/29/08 10:23 AM.
Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #81116
06/29/08 03:13 AM
06/29/08 03:13 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Original is always best for resale value. If its a rare car or something I'd go original, if not screw it.

But its your car, paint it whatever car you like. Don't let the market or anybody else tell you what to paint it!!

I painted my 68 RR vitamin C orange, even though the color was never offered that year. Why? because my dad was in love with that color. And it was his dream car as a little kid.

In the end, your the one driving it, not anyone else on moparts.

Last edited by pavell; 06/29/08 03:26 AM.
Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #81117
06/29/08 06:39 AM
06/29/08 06:39 AM
Dallas, TX
70challrtse Offline
super gas
70challrtse  Offline
super gas

Dallas, TX
Quote:

Quote:

IMO you should not color change an original collector car, It's expensive to do correctly and just as expensive to reverse should the next guy want to, this fact usually reduces the cars value by the cost of reversing it. My advice? sell the car if you don't like it and use the money to buy one that has the combo you like, it will be worth it in the long run. You asked for opinions, there's mine.

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: cudabitten] #81118
06/29/08 09:24 AM
06/29/08 09:24 AM
Seminole County FL to Plymouth...
Barry70GTX Offline
super stock
Barry70GTX  Offline
super stock

Seminole County FL to Plymouth...
Quote:

Getting a 74 barracuda soon, it is white exterior and green interior, was going to change it to blue exterior and black interior. Looking for some opinions on changing these colors, the car is almost completely original. I almost hate to do it, but I don't think this car looks good in the original colors. What do you think?

I would change the colors on that car in a heartbeat and never look back.
On a side note,my friend is changing his 71 Cuda from white to red.I'm not too sure about that one.I kinda like the white on the 71.

NMCA NSS 67 Coronet
Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #81119
06/29/08 09:33 AM
06/29/08 09:33 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
Quote:

It's a 74 Barracuda, not a 71 Hemi Cuda rag. Not like you're flushing 25k down the drain by changing the color or something. I say build it like you want it and tough to people who don't like.
74 Barracuda is on the lower end of the E body scale, I would worry too much about it, if need be it can always be changed later. IMO no sense in doing something in a color combo you won't enjoy. But then I don't build cars to sell, I build them for me.

well said and i agree 1000%. from the guy with a 600+ ci hemi powered 72 Road Runner with original N96 air grabber V21 V25 hood and deck lid stripe car. with 2 tone black and blue interior. with original equipped drivers and non original PASSENGER side 6 way seat adjusters.

Last edited by not_a_charger; 06/29/08 10:25 AM.
Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: Mr T2U] #81120
06/29/08 09:57 AM
06/29/08 09:57 AM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
Quote:

Quote:

It's a 74 Barracuda, not a 71 Hemi Cuda rag. Not like you're flushing 25k down the drain by changing the color or something. I say build it like you want it and tough to people who don't like.
74 Barracuda is on the lower end of the E body scale, I would worry too much about it, if need be it can always be changed later. IMO no sense in doing something in a color combo you won't enjoy. But then I don't build cars to sell, I build them for me.

well said and i agree 1000%. from the guy with a 600+ ci hemi powered 72 Road Runner with original N96 air grabber V21 V25 hood and deck lid stripe car. with 2 tone black and blue interior. with original equipped drivers and non original PASSENGER side 6 way seat adjusters.

Indeed the more rare and/or desirable the car the more important it is in retaining its originality. That being said, noting that the guy should simply sell the car and buy another one isnt really realistic. No its not, first you may take quite some time selling an ugly color 74 Barracuda. Assuming even that he may lose some money selling the car. Paint that car the color you want. You wont lose any more money painting it the color you want, than what you would trying to sell an "unpopular unappealing color car." When a car appeals to the crowd or a buyer its upon first view. The knockout appeal. I for one wouldnt say Oh I love that high impact color car, but sorry I wont buy it cause its not "blehh gold". As said before its not a numbers match Hemi car, its a 74 Barracuda. He didnt say it was even a 340 car. Might even be a 318 car. Now who is gonna say the color is important with that?? Fit and finish sell the average car gents, fit and finish.

Last edited by not_a_charger; 06/29/08 10:24 AM.
Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: gomangoRTSE] #81121
06/29/08 12:01 PM
06/29/08 12:01 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Here is another take on this.....

Why does every friggin Mopar have to be purple, lime green, or orange?? Why not dare to be different and go back to the original shade??

Many of the so-called "dud" colors actually look pretty nice when freshly applied. Many years ago, when I restored my 70 Challenger, I had considered straying from the original FK5(Deep burnt orange). The only time I ever saw this color, it was faded to a dull brown. After talking to the painter, I decided to go back to FK5. What a knockout color!! This car looks killer, especially out in the sun. And I went through the same thing with my 66 Coronet. Never in a million years would I have ever thought I would love the way a gold car looks. This car looks great! With all of the chrome 500 trim, this car looks awesome!! If this car was painted a "high-impact" color, it would look terrible, IMO.

I am not trying to stifle anyones individuality, just offering another opinion, that's all. If you want to paint your car any color you wish, be my guest.

MB

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: HPMike] #81122
06/29/08 12:56 PM
06/29/08 12:56 PM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Georgetown Ontario Canada
It's a 74 Barracuda and I'm assuming a 318 car so it's pretty low in the overall picture in comparison to other 1970-74 E Bodys.
With that in mind I don't think a colour change will hurt it's potential value.
Making it a more desirable colour may actually increase the potential amount of buyers.
IMPORTANT RULE:
If you want to maintain the ora of originalty it MUST be painted an original 74 colour that would have been avaiable on E Bodys.
Painting it ANYTHING else would be considered a modified car and you now narrowed the market considerbly with your own personal taste which may not appeal to everyone. Including such factory colours as Plum Crazy and Hemi Orange.

I agree strongly with the above statements that odd colours or combinations of colours such as white/green will certainly gain more attention at shows and whatnot then rows of purple and orange cars.
Nothing would look finer then a properly restored green interior in a white car.

If you truly can't stand the colour combo, and you're somewhat of a purist, then possibly consider buying another car

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: HPMike] #81123
06/29/08 01:07 PM
06/29/08 01:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The percentage of true purist in the hobby is very small compared to the rest that just enjoy these old cars. The reason there are so many Red, Black, Blue, Orange, Purple cars is because that is what people want today on these cars.

I don't think that a color change from Green or Gold to a more saleable color hurts one bit. In fact I think that that in this type of case it makes the car sell faster for at least the same money as the original color of more. If you are not changing for the sake of resale than it makes no difference because it is for the owners enjoyment

I agree that the high impact colors just don't look right on the older cars that they were not originally available on.

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: cudabitten] #81124
06/29/08 01:18 PM
06/29/08 01:18 PM
Bridgeport, WV
M
Michael Offline
master
Michael  Offline
master
M

Bridgeport, WV
Keep original color.

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: cudabitten] #81125
06/29/08 01:42 PM
06/29/08 01:42 PM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
I vote for keeping the original color combo.
What about adding the factory black vinyl stripe to spice it up? It can always be pulled back off when you need to.

Re: Changing original colors...good or bad? [Re: Dave Watt] #81126
06/29/08 02:03 PM
06/29/08 02:03 PM
Connecticut
biginchmotor Offline
super stock
biginchmotor  Offline
super stock

Connecticut
Cudabit...I have a 74 Barracuda that is ready for paint also and I am not sure what color to go with. The car will be a driver to enjoy. The original color was Frost Green Metallic. It has a black interior. I am looking into a gold or gray color myself, do what you like and you will be happy with the results, John.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3