01/16/18 09:21 PM
01/16/18 09:21 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline OP
master
astjp2  Offline OP
master

Utah and Alaska
Anyone ever use Par-AL-Ketone to preserve parts on their cars? I know its basically a cosmoline type product but was wondering if anyone actually uses it and what their thoughts were. Tim

Black Bear Par-Al-Ketone is best known as one of the most rugged corrosion preventatives available, performing sucessfully for over 40 years protecting aircraft components and machine parts in outdoor storage and for export. This material is a blend of controlled oxidized petroleum fractions in a solvent solution. The protective film is stable from -20 deg.F to 180 deg.F. When applied the protective coating tends to displace moisture. When dry, the protective film retains substantial flexibility with a tendency to self-heat when ruptured. It may be safely applied over painted surfaces by using thinners such as mineral spirits or stoddard solvents. This material may be applied by brushing, spraying or dipping, with a drying time of 2 to 5 hours. Clean surfaces provide best results. Should thickening occur due to cold temperature (below 40 deg.F) warming will restore consistancy. Thickening caused by extended exposure in open containers can be corrected by using accepted thinners. Meets MIL-C-16173E Estimated coverages 400 to 600 sq/ft per gallon. Material sold in 1 quart quanties.

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.co...e/par-al-ketone

PAR-AL-KETONE.jpg

1941 Taylorcraft
1968 Charger
1994 Wrangler
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!
Re: Par-Al-Ketone [Re: astjp2] #2435936
01/16/18 09:58 PM
01/16/18 09:58 PM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline
super stock

Chicago
I haven't used this particular product, but it's basically grease/oil with some solvent in it to make it thin enough to pour/brush. It should work just fine keeping bare metal from rusting and/or to protect hard-to-paint areas.

I did not see/read the Safety Data Sheet (I suggest you do if you can find it). I'm "slightly" concerned about its name, because many "ketones" are pretty aggressive on paint. For bare metal, no problem at all.

70 Roadrunner convt. street car 440+6, NOS, 4-spd, SS springs '96 Mustang GT convt. street car '04 4.6 SOHC, NOS, auto, lowered "Officer, that button is for short on-ramps"