05/06/09 07:33 PM
05/06/09 07:33 PM
BROOK PARK, OH
WILD BILL Offline OP
Senior Member of the Junior Dragster Club
WILD BILL  Offline OP

BROOK PARK, OH
The 72 charger has power brakes. Or at least it should. I installed a new booster (Autozone) last year and it never did feel right. I thought that it was a lack of vacuum due to the cam. So i got an electric vacuum pump And it still only gives about 1 good try at the brakes before the pedal gets hard. I hooked up a vac gauge and the pump pulls 21" untill you step on the pedal then drops fast down to about 5"s and the pump will run constantly untill the pedal is released then vaccuum will build back up till the pump shuts off at 21"

Reading this
Quote:

Reconnect the one way valve and vacuum line to the manifold and start the engine. Watch the vac guage as a friend depresses the brake pedal. It should dip as the pedal is depressed and return to the base reading. If it drops slowly, but returns, you have a blockage/collapse in the vac line. If it falls and does not return, you have a torn diaphram in the booster. Especially indicative of a torn diaphram is a hissing when the pedal is depressed.

I think I have a torn diaphram. Can any one out there that has a similar vacuum pump verify that when the pedal is pushed that the vacuum should not drop to 5"s on the very first press?

Thanks

Re: Brake Booster Bad? [Re: WILD BILL] #310440
05/06/09 07:43 PM
05/06/09 07:43 PM
chicagoland,usa
B
buildanother Offline
I Live Here
buildanother  Offline
I Live Here
B

chicagoland,usa
Sounds to me like the booster is leaking, it should catch back up when you hold foot on brake.

Re: Brake Booster Bad? [Re: buildanother] #310441
05/10/09 03:59 PM
05/10/09 03:59 PM
BROOK PARK, OH
WILD BILL Offline OP
WILD BILL  Offline OP

BROOK PARK, OH
I got a new Booster and bench tested it last night. It works exactly as described in the article

It'll be nice to see how high they can come up on the new conv once the brakes are able to hold the car.