05/16/11 01:03 AM
05/16/11 01:03 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
I know I use to reuse them too, then we had a customers car seize the oil pump, the visable part of the pickup looked spotless, the oil pump drive looked like a pretzel.. The bearings were wiped & the crank had to be turned... Cut the pickup screen apart & it was full of debris... New screen for that job was around $7.00..... Since then I don't take a chance, but I often throw the screen in with the parts going to the hot tank & I'll cut it open after tanking to see how clean it really got.... I haven't ever thought gee, I shoulda saved the cost of a new screen...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Which oil pickup do I need? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #992711
05/16/11 03:52 AM
05/16/11 03:52 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
"""""" I'll waste my time one more time """""" ......

And YET you were in-here again and AGAIN ...

Mr Wild K C .... just how do you propose that the pump rotors will seize up ...AND the distrib drive will look like a pretzel .... if you run through some small bits of a hardened-rubber oil-seal or a tiny bit of cork gasket .....that are small enuff to pass through the screen in the pickup tube assembly ? Then a tall-tale of wiping bearings and toasting a crank ? .... are you sure YOU are not "toasted" with some of oleHAM's Mexican Gold ?

And ...you do not have to remove the sheet-metal "cap" over the screen to observe or even remove most of the trash that might be in there. I submit to you that 99% of any of that trash can be removed with simple shaking of the PU tube anyways. Or TAP IT with a small ball-peen hammer ... most will fall out. I did this just hours ago .. now on THREE very well used stocker PU tubes. No problemO.

THEN you say .... """"""" Cut the pickup screen apart & it was full of debris """"" ....full of debris ?? !! ... then how did that motor live at all? ...how did it pass any oil AT ALL ?? I suggest that someone - HISself - is "FULL OF IT" !!

And then your accusation of myself and JK of having no knowledge - we are just Keyboard Commandos ? ..... Nay I say ..... everything points at CHOO !

Re: Which oil pickup do I need? [Re: dOc !] #992712
05/16/11 04:26 AM
05/16/11 04:26 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Wow. This amazes me. This post got rude and nasty and I wasn't even a part of it.
I have spent a lot of my life trying to do things "on the cheap". I have always reused oil pump pickups, but they also have soaked in gasoline or lacquer thinner. I tap the screen end with a small hammer and keep doing it until nothing falls out. I often run the pickup with an oil pump with a drill, with the pickup in a bucket of solvent. I run the drill both ways to pull AND push solvent through it. NO, I have never cut one open. Maybe I have been lucky or the pickup tubes were not too dirty.
I've had cam failures that left metal bits in the pump rotors but the crank bearings looked nearly perfect. My 493 is one example. I am NOT condoning being careless. A pretzel twisted oil pump drive ? You'd have to have something really solid to bind up the pump. Small bits of cork? I can't imagine that cork wouldn't compress and pass through. Dried and cracked valve stem seals? Maybe, but it also seems that anything small enough to get past the screen wouldn't bind the pump.
Keep in mind here, I am NOT trying to contradict anyones opinions. I'm just stating what I have seen.

Re: Which oil pickup do I need? [Re: Kern Dog] #992713
05/16/11 04:33 AM
05/16/11 04:33 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

Wow. This amazes me. This post got rude and nasty and I wasn't even a part of it.

Roger dodger .... that is amazing and STUNNING

And NORMALLY ...you start-it

...and me ? ... no rude or nasty intent .......I just got a little FIESTY !

Re: Which oil pickup do I need? [Re: Kern Dog] #992714
05/16/11 11:33 AM
05/16/11 11:33 AM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Don't know why I waste my time but first here's a link to a google search of twisted oil pump drives...

http://www.google.com/search?client=safa...-8&oe=UTF-8

Most are Fords but there are mopars listed too... Second cork will shear a oil pump drive because the clearances are so tight... Valve stem seals will do it, nylon timing gear debris will do it.. The engine with the twisted oil pump drive was a Ford.. Mopars just shear the tip off... Fords do this...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Which oil pickup do I need? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #992715
05/16/11 11:55 AM
05/16/11 11:55 AM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
This place rocks! The OP asked for a part#,but gets a slew of opinions about replacing the pick-up. As far as the pick-up I would try Mancini..see if they can help,they list a few on their site,maybe one would work for ya?
Now,my opinion. If in doubt replace it! $30.00 bucks is cheap insurance if you ask me. I have also seen a few pretzeled pump drives.The screen is NOT fine enough to stop debris big enough to lock up a pump! the pump is the ONLY piece lubed with unfiltered oil!!

Re: Which oil pickup do I need? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #992716
05/16/11 12:36 PM
05/16/11 12:36 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Don't know why I waste my time ...

Randy this feature works wonders ...

Quote:

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Re: Which oil pickup do I need? [Re: Dcuda69] #992717
05/16/11 12:50 PM
05/16/11 12:50 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

The screen is NOT fine enough to stop debris big enough to lock up a pump! the pump is the ONLY piece lubed with unfiltered oil!!

Interesting new spin here ..... I don't think anyone here(that is suggesting that you clean your existing PU) that you should NOT spend your money as you see fit. And I am not going to insinuate that someone is being foolish in doing this also. Spending $$$ on a good oiling system should always be a #1 priorty.

B U T .... have you ever pulled-apart a REALLY beat-up JY motor ? Some years ago a Bud called me over to look at a motor he pulled out of a parts car. He had never seen a motor this sludged up .. it looked like the oil had never been changed(maybe just added to) and maybe an occasional cup-of-sand poured-in.

uNreal. There were POUNDS of sludge in the valley and in the pan. The oil pump rotors were scored-up like I have never seen ... yet the motor still ran.

Re: Which oil pickup do I need? [Re: JohnRR] #992718
05/16/11 12:58 PM
05/16/11 12:58 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

Quote:

Don't know why I waste my time ...

Randy this feature works wonders ...

Quote:

*** You are ignoring this user ***

....and yet SO MANY PEOPLE came on a topic last week saying that much of my input was very informative and entertaining.

RR .... ...I would never IGNORE you ..... some of your is entertaining TOOOO ! Even in the here and now ...... when you ALLEGE you are IGNORING me.

Re: Which oil pickup do I need? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #992719
05/16/11 02:47 PM
05/16/11 02:47 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Quote:

Cut the pickup screen apart & it was full of debris... New screen for that job was around $7.00..... Since then I don't take a chance, but I often throw the screen in with the parts going to the hot tank & I'll cut it open after tanking to see how clean it really got.... I haven't ever thought gee, I shoulda saved the cost of a new screen...

Once again ya gotta love the difference in anecdotal experiences. In my first reply I stated "On hard to find pickups I always throw them in the hot tank with the block.." My experience comes from the days when new was not as readily available as now, if new was available I wouldn't waste the time trying to clean one.

To qualify my experiences, I knew my local shop cleaned their hot tank on the first work day of every month, so I always waited until then to take my parts in. The outside of the pickup would look really clean when it came out of the tank; I would then take the pickup and lay it flat on the table of my belt sander and sand through the crimped edge all around to separate the baffle/screen from the pickup.

I never found one that was "full of debris", mostly a powdery soft carbon ridge in the area here the original crimp was...wiped away real easy. I would then weld the baffle/screen back to the pickup..looked like crap but who's gonna see it.

Again, if new is readily available I'd always go that way.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Which oil pickup do I need? [Re: John_Kunkel] #992720
05/23/11 11:36 PM
05/23/11 11:36 PM
USA
J
JoesMopar Offline OP
master
JoesMopar  Offline OP
master
J

USA
Well I couldn't get all the stuff out. I think what's left in it are remnants of the plastic from the original timing gears. I'll look into what you guys recommended for pickups.

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 1 2