04/17/11 11:43 AM
04/17/11 11:43 AM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
master
gregsdart  Offline
master

As far as what to take to the dyno, everything! Tools, Spare valvetrain, plugs, gasket sealer, sparkplug wires, plugs, nuts, bolts,wiring,gasket material and sealer,carb linkage , spare crank trigger stuff, whatever you could possibly use in hook up,tuning or repairs you can do with it bolted to the dyno. Vacuum fittings in the intake? (they should have a gauge and readout.)You will find all sorts of things wrong at times. I found problems with sealing the motor up for the vacuum pump. I needed spare plugs to read for tuning. Found a pan leak. My motor plate was pushing against the shutoff valve on my injector, causing a leak. No dyno session, may have burned the car to the ground. Found a vacuum leak in the intake system. I needed thirty quarts of oil and three filters. Milked the oil once, did an ABA test with synthetic.
Questions for the dyno guy; whose ignition will we use? will my headers fit your setup? Look at the dyno hookups to make sure everything you have will fit. My headers wouldn't. Have the motor ready to fire (save for headers) to save time. Have a tuning plan, talk to the dyno guy first. Don't forget to ask the dyno guy what you should bring also. Oil pressure hookup? May be redundant, but something may have been overlooked. Looking forward to a great dyno report!

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: gregsdart] #974191
04/17/11 12:04 PM
04/17/11 12:04 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline OP
master
moparniac  Offline OP
master
M

U.S.
Quote:

As far as what to take to the dyno, everything! Tools, Spare valvetrain, plugs, gasket sealer, sparkplug wires, plugs, nuts, bolts,wiring,gasket material and sealer,carb linkage , spare crank trigger stuff, whatever you could possibly use in hook up,tuning or repairs you can do with it bolted to the dyno. Vacuum fittings in the intake? (they should have a gauge and readout.)You will find all sorts of things wrong at times. I found problems with sealing the motor up for the vacuum pump. I needed spare plugs to read for tuning. Found a pan leak. My motor plate was pushing against the shutoff valve on my injector, causing a leak. No dyno session, may have burned the car to the ground. Found a vacuum leak in the intake system. I needed thirty quarts of oil and three filters. Milked the oil once, did an ABA test with synthetic.
Questions for the dyno guy; whose ignition will we use? will my headers fit your setup? Look at the dyno hookups to make sure everything you have will fit. My headers wouldn't. Have the motor ready to fire (save for headers) to save time. Have a tuning plan, talk to the dyno guy first. Don't forget to ask the dyno guy what you should bring also. Oil pressure hookup? May be redundant, but something may have been overlooked. Looking forward to a great dyno report!

thx for the pointers... I do plan on doing the NGK vs autolite plug pull scenario

Mopar Performance
Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: moparniac] #974192
04/17/11 12:11 PM
04/17/11 12:11 PM
LONG ISLAND
fishy340 Offline
master
fishy340  Offline
master

LONG ISLAND
i hope it does show good numbers,because i know a w9 sb thats gonna be right w your hemi,in about a week or so,should see the sb dyno numbers true 11.1 compression ut ooooooooo lol good luck

Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: fishy340] #974193
04/17/11 12:14 PM
04/17/11 12:14 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline OP
master
moparniac  Offline OP
master
M

U.S.
Quote:

i hope it does show good numbers,because i know a w9 sb thats gonna be right w your hemi,in about a week or so,should see the sb dyno numbers true 11.1 compression ut ooooooooo lol good luck

its a wedge...maybe HEMI for next year! who knows

Mopar Performance
Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: moparniac] #974194
04/17/11 01:38 PM
04/17/11 01:38 PM
LONG ISLAND
fishy340 Offline
master
fishy340  Offline
master

LONG ISLAND
my bad,i do hope for the best w ur bad boy,i just had to poke at ya a little

Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: moparniac] #974195
04/17/11 02:18 PM
04/17/11 02:18 PM
Saskatchewan, Canada
cudabin Offline
super stock
cudabin  Offline
super stock

Saskatchewan, Canada
Quote:

I'd just start another thread on that and I'd bet some of the top experts will comment on that! Just a hunch but they may tell you .040 is tight for BB and .055 may be the limit... Ask them though!

I am not an expert, but don't forget with an aluminum block and heads, you will get .010" growth, so the quench distance will grow as well...

You should have .061" after all ????

Good luck on the dyno!

Arnie

67 Cuda 8.48@ 158.7 mph 1.18 60' 2,600 DA(so far...) 70 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 4-speed. 13.2 @ 104 Stock exhaust/Street tires.
Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: cudabin] #974196
04/17/11 04:21 PM
04/17/11 04:21 PM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
Performance Only  Offline
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

I'd just start another thread on that and I'd bet some of the top experts will comment on that! Just a hunch but they may tell you .040 is tight for BB and .055 may be the limit... Ask them though!

I am not an expert, but don't forget with an aluminum block and heads, you will get .010" growth, so the quench distance will grow as well...

Good luck on the dyno!

Arnie

the length of the sleeve doesn't change, therefore the quench will be the same.

machine shop owner and engine builder
Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: Performance Only] #974197
04/17/11 06:57 PM
04/17/11 06:57 PM
Saskatchewan, Canada
cudabin Offline
super stock
cudabin  Offline
super stock

Saskatchewan, Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good luck on the dyno!

Arnie

As I said, I am no expert, but if the lash grows .010" how does that not increase the quench?

Please explain...

Thanks,

Arnie

67 Cuda 8.48@ 158.7 mph 1.18 60' 2,600 DA(so far...) 70 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 4-speed. 13.2 @ 104 Stock exhaust/Street tires.
Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: cudabin] #974198
04/17/11 07:23 PM
04/17/11 07:23 PM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
Performance Only  Offline
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good luck on the dyno!

Arnie

As I said, I am no expert, but if the lash grows .010" how does that not increase the quench?

Please explain...

Thanks,

Arnie

the lash grows because the head and block expand. the liner is not aluminum and won't change more than .001-.002 in length. the head is bolted down to the liner, which is typically above the deck anyway. if it's not, it should be.
in other words, the mass of aluminum above the deck will expand changing lash, but has little to no effect on quench since the head is still bolted down tight to the block and liner.

machine shop owner and engine builder
Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: Performance Only] #974199
04/17/11 08:19 PM
04/17/11 08:19 PM
Tennessee
S
steeldust Offline
mopar
steeldust  Offline
mopar
S

Tennessee
I am building a 572 amost like yours i think 850. It is a aluminum block with 440-1 heads out of the box & gear drive & 13 1/2 to 1 flat top pistons & 1.6 T&D rockers that make my cam 716 EXH 740 INT roller & 4150 intake indy & RUPERT 950 akcohol carb made for the motor . GO LUCK.

Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: moparniac] #974200
04/18/11 09:06 AM
04/18/11 09:06 AM
gregsdart Offline
master
gregsdart  Offline
master

Quote:

Quote:

thx for the pointers... I do plan on doing the NGK vs autolite plug pull scenario

I am really interested in the plug test!

Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: gregsdart] #974201
04/18/11 05:06 PM
04/18/11 05:06 PM
Canada
R
RobR Offline
master
RobR  Offline
master
R

Canada
If it doesn't make 800 hp there's something wrong.

Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: gregsdart] #974202
04/26/11 07:35 PM
04/26/11 07:35 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline OP
master
moparniac  Offline OP
master
M

U.S.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ngk R5671A-7 vs which autolite would you like to see?

down to lifters and pushrods......

Mopar Performance
Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: moparniac] #974203
04/26/11 08:09 PM
04/26/11 08:09 PM
Ontario, Canada
Dodgem Offline
master
Dodgem  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada
Who made your pistons at .005 over 4.505 ?? I may have to hone mine to 4.505?

Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: moparniac] #974204
04/26/11 08:52 PM
04/26/11 08:52 PM
gregsdart Offline
master
gregsdart  Offline
master

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would think a side gap, extended tip if Autolite makes one, otherwise sidegap?

Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: moparniac] #974205
04/26/11 09:45 PM
04/26/11 09:45 PM
Apollo, PA.
B1MAXX Offline
top fuel
B1MAXX  Offline
top fuel

Apollo, PA.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

AR3934

Re: What will it dyno! (engine dyno) [Re: B1MAXX] #974206
04/27/11 05:54 PM
04/27/11 05:54 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
I think the best Autolite would be the AR3933,also the Champion C59CY (the NGK & Autolite will have to be good to beat the Champion)against the NGK & Autolite.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3