04/10/11 06:03 PM
04/10/11 06:03 PM
Central TX
roe Offline OP
master
roe  Offline OP
master

Central TX
Can someone please explain how timing affects your operating temps? I think I read somewhere on here that retarding your timing too much can cause your engine to run hotter, but what about advancing it too far? How does retarding and advancing affect how easily the car starts, hot and cold?

I also know that advancing timing increases your idle speed, and vice versa. So how does all of this affect your engine manners?

When you advance your timing, do you then need to go back and adjust your idle mixture screws, or just adjust your idle speed screw. Or both?

Im chasing down some issues where it starts to stumble when nice and hot, and its running a little warmer than I would like but nothing alarming, and just want to make sure I have a good understanding of tuning adjustments before I start making changes.

I have on a clear fuel filter up top, and when the motor is hot it gets low on fuel, pretty much dry, and the motor starts to run lean, which I presume is contributing to motor running hotter, and it just keeps going in this direction. The stock fuel line and factory style filter is sandwiched pretty close between the inner fender and the exaust manifold. Close enough that I can only change that filter when motor is dead cold because my hand would be scorched otherwise. Cant avoid touching something extremely hot.

Just to experiment, I took some cool water and poured it on the fuel line and fuel filter and it was hot enought to make the water sizzle off of it, and thats with a heat reflector tape already installed. I did this long enought to cool it and as soon as it was cool the fuel level in my clear filter filled back up as it should be and the motor ran much smoother. This signals to me that its gettting too hot there and contributing to a vapor lock condition. Would you agree? Im going to try it again and see if the fluid level raises because I cooled off the line/filter, or if it was just a coincidence.

Also, is it possible for the fuel pump to be clogged up with debri and slowing down my flow? The factory filter is before the pump and the clear filter is after the pump, and I can clearly see where my clear filter is still filtering little granules out of the fuel. If so do I pull it and clean it, or do I replace it?

Heres my plan: Cut the factory fuel line shorter, re-route with flexible hose in a cooler route, likely incased in a heat sheilding insulation similar to what I have around my trans fluid lines. Going to put in a 160 deg thermostat (its 195 now). And Im planning on getting a repro fan shroud from Mancini, there is not one on there now and I know that is killing me at idle and low speeds. I'll then be playing around with my timing, and carb settings to see what it likes. I dont remember exactly where it is now, but somewhere around 17 initial with a stock '71 replacement points dizzy from the parts house with whichever springs come in it for the advance curve, but upgraded to Pertronix Ignitor 2 system and Flamethrower 2 coil, bosch platinum plugs, eddie 1406 (600 cfm), high volume oil pump, new stock fuel pump, its a 360 with edelbrock performer intake, 9:1 hyper pistons, 268* duration, and .458" lift (factory 340?) cam, 904 trans, stock converter, 2.76 IIRC rear gears.

I know its long, but I tried to give you any info that might help, and I want to know what Im doing before I start trying to tune it. The motor actually is running pretty darn strong, and I love to take it out and get on it, but I also want to get this squared away.

Thanks
roe

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Engine timing and tuning your engine Q's...long [Re: roe] #970597
04/10/11 07:34 PM
04/10/11 07:34 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Im chasing down some issues where it starts to stumble when nice and hot,and when the motor is hot it gets low on fuel, pretty much dry, and the motor starts to run lean, my hand would be scorched otherwise. Just to experiment, I took some cool water and poured it on the fuel line and fuel filter and it was hot enought to make the water sizzle off of it, and thats with a heat reflector tape already installed. I did this long enought to cool it and as soon as it was cool the fuel level in my clear filter filled back up as it should be and the motor ran much smoother. This signals to me that its gettting too hot there and contributing to a vapor lock condition. Would you agree?

Absolutely, water sizzles off of it . (re)route that line

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Engine timing and tuning your engine Q's...long [Re: roe] #970598
04/10/11 07:41 PM
04/10/11 07:41 PM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
i wouldn't do anything until you've moved the line. once you've done that then re-assess the remaining issues.

Re: Engine timing and tuning your engine Q's...long [Re: mikemee1331] #970599
04/11/11 12:12 PM
04/11/11 12:12 PM
Franklin Co. Illinois
runinonmt Offline
mopar
runinonmt  Offline
mopar

Franklin Co. Illinois
You,my friend are experiencing classic signs of vapor lock.If water is boiling the temp is WAY past the boiling point of fuel. Your plan seems quite good except for the thermostat change. I would stick with at least a 180 Deg. The fuel line rerout will be the biggest help,of course. The fan shroud will also become more necessary as outdoor temps rise. God luck.
Ron

In sixty-five I was seventeen and running up one-o-one I don't know where I'm running now, I'm just running on Jackson Browne-Running On Empty
Re: Engine timing and tuning your engine Q's...long [Re: runinonmt] #970600
04/11/11 12:17 PM
04/11/11 12:17 PM
Under My Car
Mopar_Country Offline
pro stock
Mopar_Country  Offline
pro stock

Under My Car
I agree, gas can start boiling at 100*. I would definitely reroute the fuel line first as previously said, then try it and see where your at.

Re: Engine timing and tuning your engine Q's...long [Re: roe] #970601
04/11/11 12:40 PM
04/11/11 12:40 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
C
chargincharles Offline
enthusiast
chargincharles  Offline
enthusiast
C

Cincinnati, Ohio
I have to go with the others on this as well.
My M-body was well known to have vapor lock issues and the lines really couldn't be moved.
The factory-recall answer was a small electric pusher fuel pump just after the tank. It worked.

I installed a full-blown electric fuel system on my M and have had no issues.

But- You will never get your tuning sorted out until you solve the vapor issue.

Good Luck,
CC

Re: Engine timing and tuning your engine Q's...long [Re: chargincharles] #970602
04/11/11 02:18 PM
04/11/11 02:18 PM
Central TX
roe Offline OP
master
roe  Offline OP
master

Central TX
ok guys, I will re-route the fuel line first

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Engine timing and tuning your engine Q's...long [Re: roe] #970603
04/11/11 09:40 PM
04/11/11 09:40 PM
Montana
Y
Yancy Derringer Offline
mopar
Yancy Derringer  Offline
mopar
Y

Montana
If the engine does not ping, then the advance is probably not too much AND the engine is not running too hot. I WOULD NOT go to a cooler stat until you resolve fan/ shroud/ radiator issues.

I don't know what you mean by "flexible line" but if you mean "rubber hose" I'd re-think.

ONE BIG THING I believe in is a fuel "vapor return" system. You can easily set these up on the later cars which had a carbon can because they have at least one extra vent line coming up front. Wix filters (and others) make a steel inline filter in either 5/16 or 3/8 line with a built in 1/4" return port. You install the filter either vertically or horizontally with the 1/4 line UP and plumb that line back to the tank. This returns a constant supply of fuel through a SMALL ORIFICE and helps keep the fuel cooler, as well as returning any vapor starting to form.

THESE WORK, and more guys should use 'em, especially with today's fuel. First one I ever saw was on my '70 440sixpack.

If you are running a factory mechanical pump, ABSOLUTELY any restrictions in the rear WILL cause vapor lock problems, because the pump is "sucking" from the tank. THIS CAUSES fuel to be lower pressure coming to the pump and when it is heated it enhances the tendency to boil and cause vapor.

(Just like a coke--they don't bubble in the bottle--they bubble when the pressure is LOWERED)

Re: Engine timing and tuning your engine Q's...long [Re: Yancy Derringer] #970604
04/11/11 10:47 PM
04/11/11 10:47 PM
Central TX
roe Offline OP
master
roe  Offline OP
master

Central TX
Quote:

If the engine does not ping, then the advance is probably not too much AND the engine is not running too hot. I WOULD NOT go to a cooler stat until you resolve fan/ shroud/ radiator issues.

I don't know what you mean by "flexible line" but if you mean "rubber hose" I'd re-think.

ONE BIG THING I believe in is a fuel "vapor return" system. You can easily set these up on the later cars which had a carbon can because they have at least one extra vent line coming up front. Wix filters (and others) make a steel inline filter in either 5/16 or 3/8 line with a built in 1/4" return port. You install the filter either vertically or horizontally with the 1/4 line UP and plumb that line back to the tank. This returns a constant supply of fuel through a SMALL ORIFICE and helps keep the fuel cooler, as well as returning any vapor starting to form.

THESE WORK, and more guys should use 'em, especially with today's fuel. First one I ever saw was on my '70 440sixpack.

If you are running a factory mechanical pump, ABSOLUTELY any restrictions in the rear WILL cause vapor lock problems, because the pump is "sucking" from the tank. THIS CAUSES fuel to be lower pressure coming to the pump and when it is heated it enhances the tendency to boil and cause vapor.

(Just like a coke--they don't bubble in the bottle--they bubble when the pressure is LOWERED)

No, the motor is not pinging, and runs great as long as I run premium (93 here). Tried running some 87 once to see if it would, and that was a big no go.

The fan shroud is a definate, hopefully in the next two weeks. And I wont touch the thermostat until after that is added. It was fine without a shroud while it was cool, but the warming weather is not so nice.

Yes, I meant rubber line when I say "flexible hose". Thats the only thing I can run. Why would you tell me to reconsider running the rubber fuel line? Dont have the tools or the experience trying to bend up hard fuel lines. How would that be done? Would I have to run new line all the way from the tank, or can I cut the stock line, connect to it and re-route.

Im not sure about the fuel vapor return line. I have the stock fuel tank vent system hooked up, but thats it.

Yes its a stock replacement mechanical pump. With me seeing the granules getting past the pump and filtered in the clear filter, should I pull the pump and clean it, or replace it, or just leave it? Do they sell a higher volume mechanical fuel pump thats not a 3/8 fitting?

And nothing would be touched before I re-route the fuel line this weekend and see how it responds. So why should I not use the rubber fuel line?

roe

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Engine timing and tuning your engine Q's...long [Re: roe] #970605
04/12/11 04:17 AM
04/12/11 04:17 AM
Wethersfield,CT
Ray440 Offline
top fuel
Ray440  Offline
top fuel

Wethersfield,CT
Roe,
You shouldn't use rubber fuel hose under the car for safety reasons. The tires could kick up road debris and cut the line. Rocks, sticks etc. If you do use rubber fuel hose make sure it is rated for alcohol based fuel.Not sure about where you live but the 10% ethanol fuel we have here in CT will cause problems with the rubber hoses and seals in older cars.

1969 Plymouth Road Runner 440 auto
2017 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 Hemi
Re: Engine timing and tuning your engine Q's...long [Re: Ray440] #970606
04/12/11 11:03 AM
04/12/11 11:03 AM
Central TX
roe Offline OP
master
roe  Offline OP
master

Central TX
would it be better if I made sure to protect the hose with with something? I'm planning on running it through a tube of insulating heat reflecting casing. I've got some around my trans lines and it looks like it would protect the line from debris damage.

The hose I'm running now is just the standard stuff from autozone. It's the same stuff they sell for new cars so I think it should be rated for modern ethanol blended fuels, bit I will double check.

And what about a braided fuel line, would that be better?

Last edited by roe; 04/12/11 11:13 AM.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Engine timing and tuning your engine Q's...long [Re: roe] #970607
04/12/11 11:31 AM
04/12/11 11:31 AM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
dude, the autozone cheapo stuff is fine...........

Re: Engine timing and tuning your engine Q's...long [Re: mikemee1331] #970608
04/12/11 12:04 PM
04/12/11 12:04 PM
Central TX
roe Offline OP
master
roe  Offline OP
master

Central TX
cool, come friday I will re-route and go from there

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG