Colorado
D
dssaa Offline OP
super stock
dssaa  Offline OP
super stock
D

Colorado
My 69 Coronet recently burned up the engine wiring harness. I installed a new harness and it runs great. Problem is when starting it, it only fires when I release the key from he START position, to the RUN position. I have tried new switch, just put in new ECU and wiring. Everything seems wired correcty and matches the instructions, but same result. What is wrong here! I have been messing with it for months now, and its the same result no matter what I do. Since its a 69, is there a splice I need to make to get juice to it in the START position? I am lost...
Dave

Re: Electronic ignition issues..pulling my hair out.. [Re: dssaa] #960530
03/27/11 11:21 PM
03/27/11 11:21 PM
Montana
Y
Yancy Derringer Offline
mopar
Yancy Derringer  Offline
mopar
Y

Montana
Not knowing what you did/ changed for wiring, I can't say specifically, but here's how it "used" to work.

Chrysler ignition switches have THREE important, separate circuits inside, that is what amounts to three separate switches SO FAR AS THE ENGINE goes.

1. Ignition run. This is normally the blue wire, which feeds the ballast resistor (originally) the regulator, electric choke if you have it, and the alternator field on 70/ later cars, and may feed the idle stop solenoid, don't remember. In any case it is LIVE in "run."

2 "Engine start." This is the wire that feeds the fender/ firewall mount start relay, and fires up that relay when you twist the key to "start."

3 Ignition resistor/ ballast "bypass" circuit. This wire ALSO comes from the switch, and feeds "hot" battery to the coil + when the key is in "start" and is normally brown.

I would guess that you are missing this last connection. You have a wireing diagram?

Re: Electronic ignition issues..pulling my hair out.. [Re: Yancy Derringer] #960531
03/27/11 11:28 PM
03/27/11 11:28 PM
Colorado
D
dssaa Offline OP
super stock
dssaa  Offline OP
super stock
D

Colorado
I have a color wiring diagram, and everything seems correct according to that. I am wondering about my starter relay now that you mention that portion...I am going to go look at it and the wiring to/from it. Maybe I have an issue there?
Thanks
Dave

Re: Electronic ignition issues..pulling my hair out.. [Re: dssaa] #960532
03/27/11 11:48 PM
03/27/11 11:48 PM
Colorado
D
dssaa Offline OP
super stock
dssaa  Offline OP
super stock
D

Colorado
Okay, on the ignition switch itself, all the terminals are marked. There are posts marked "ignition 1" and "ignition 2". I am assuming one of these is start position, the other the run position? Is that true, and if so, which is which..I can trace that wire under the dash and to the resistor. I have checked the new harness over and over, and its wired correctly. Starter works fine, so assuming the relay is still good, all wires look good. Ideas?
Dave

Re: Electronic ignition issues..pulling my hair out.. [Re: dssaa] #960533
03/28/11 06:52 AM
03/28/11 06:52 AM
VA.
M
mosweethemi Offline
mopar
mosweethemi  Offline
mopar
M

VA.
Hello I think that it is a bad! Ballast Resistor try a new one and see if that helps.

Re: Electronic ignition issues..pulling my hair out.. [Re: mosweethemi] #960534
03/28/11 11:12 AM
03/28/11 11:12 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
I would try the ballast resistor .

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: Electronic ignition issues..pulling my hair out.. [Re: rowin4] #960535
03/28/11 04:18 PM
03/28/11 04:18 PM
Montana
Y
Yancy Derringer Offline
mopar
Yancy Derringer  Offline
mopar
Y

Montana
Quote:

Hello I think that it is a bad! Ballast Resistor try a new one and see if that helps.

Quote:

I would try the ballast resistor .

Not a chance is it the ballast. NOTICE he says the car RUNS AFTER HE RELEASES THE KEY TO RUN

This means the ballast is WORKING JUST FINE

I don't have a factory '69 diagram, and once again do not know what changes you've made. Here are some excerpts from a 67 diagram should be the same or similar

The diagram below shows the ignition switch

The three important (ignition) circuits I mentioned are:

STARTER #S2-18-Y (yellow) feeds starter relay in "start"

IGNITION 2 #J3-14-BR (brown) is hot in start and feeds through bulkhead to coil+ side of ballast resistor THIS IS THE WIRE THAT YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT

IGNITION 1 #J2-16-DBL (dark blue) This is hot in "run" and feeds the other side of the ballast to run the car

All three of these wires go through the bulkhead connector so you may be losing voltage IN THE SWITCH, AT THE SWITCH CONNECTOR, AT THE BULKHEAD CONNECTOR, or AT THE BALLAST CONNECTOR

The excerpt below shows the bulkhead connector and merely shows which connections the above three wires go through

Ign1 (run), dark blue goes through "N"

Ign2 (bypass), brown goes through "Q"

ONCE AGAIN, IGN2 is what you should be checking

Below is part of the engine bay

Look at the very bottom the drawing labeled "BULKHEAD DISCONNECT" and look at the MIDDLE section, "N" and "Q"

Now look directly above at the connector, notice that "N" shows a wire J2-16DBL. THIS IS ignition "run" on the way to the ballast resistor

Now look at "Q" has a wire J3-14BR. THIS IS ign2, on the way to the COIL side of the ballast AND IS THE WIRE that you need to check

This last wire feeds hot 12 to the coil IN START

Below is the destination of these two wires from the ign switch.

IGN1 (run) J2A-18DBL (dark blue) comes in from the bottom and feeds the ballast. THIS WIRE is what runs the car, feeds battery to the ballast, drops the voltage to the coil in run

IGN2 (bypass) J3-14BR (brown) Notice this wire connects to the top of the ballast BUT WHAT it is really hooked up to is the COIL POSITIVE.

THIS IS THE WIRE I think has failed or is not hooked up. THIS WIRE is what feeds hot battery "in start" to the coil to give you a good hot spark during "start."

Below are the diagrams posted over at "My Mopar." In some cases these are easier to follow that stock diagrams, and sometimes not

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1969/69CoronetA.JPG

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1969/69CoronetB.JPG

Re: Electronic ignition issues..pulling my hair out.. [Re: dssaa] #960536
04/01/11 09:47 PM
04/01/11 09:47 PM
New Richmond, WI
K
kams Offline
mopar
kams  Offline
mopar
K

New Richmond, WI
Hook the blue and brwon wire's together. Then run it to the electronic ing. curcuit.