PA
B
BTTG Offline OP
mopar
BTTG  Offline OP
mopar
B

PA
If replacing upper control arm bushings should one go for the standard camber or extra camber variety? Recall reading something about the need for extra adjustability based on use of radial tires....or something to that effect. car is a 69 B-body.

Re: UCA bushings extra camber or not? [Re: BTTG] #956210
03/22/11 09:10 PM
03/22/11 09:10 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
I like using the moog offset bushings...You're actually after the change in castor not camber but I knew what you meant...Those bushings and the added castor definitely make the tires snap back to straight much better than the wandering pig some cars are....

Re: UCA bushings extra camber or not? [Re: screamindriver] #956211
03/22/11 10:24 PM
03/22/11 10:24 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Agree more caster + negative camber helps a lot. The offsets need to be put in correctly to help though. If you search over the last month or so you can find the diagram from autoxcuda that shows how.

Re: UCA bushings extra camber or not? [Re: ahy] #956212
03/23/11 12:17 AM
03/23/11 12:17 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I'd always thought you install them to get the most positive caster then on a recent thread someone said to use only (1) of the offset ones per side . Anybody have any info on that why you wouldn't want to kick the UBJ rearward as much as possible

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: UCA bushings extra camber or not? [Re: RapidRobert] #956213
03/23/11 12:38 AM
03/23/11 12:38 AM
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Magnum Offline
master
Magnum  Offline
master

Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Kick it rearward and never look back.

69 Super Bee, 93 Mustang LX, 04 Allure Super
Re: UCA bushings extra camber or not? [Re: Magnum] #956214
03/23/11 12:40 AM
03/23/11 12:40 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Alright

Re: UCA bushings extra camber or not? [Re: ahy] #956215
03/23/11 08:40 AM
03/23/11 08:40 AM
PA
B
BTTG Offline OP
mopar
BTTG  Offline OP
mopar
B

PA
Ok

guess my confusion stemmed from the need to buy extra camber bushings to use in an "off label" way to get extra caster.

So to clarify if i buy these extra camber bushings

http://www.billrolikenterprises.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2071204-PXC

i can install the offsets like in the photo from autoxcuda in this thread and this will push the upper ball joint rearward providing extra caster. Is this what i want to do?

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post6541852

When I am done installing the front end and take it is to be aligned what do i tell the mechanic? I assume that the specs in the book for the car are out the window so do you request something special in regards to the caster (i.e., maximize positive caster) and camber? Is there a table floating around for desired alignment specs for the radial tire era that differs form the original MOPAR specs?

Thanks in advance i appreciate the help and now is the time to find this info out and plan before i order my front end parts.

Re: UCA bushings extra camber or not? [Re: BTTG] #956216
03/23/11 03:00 PM
03/23/11 03:00 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Quote:

i can install the offsets like in the photo from autoxcuda in this thread and this will push the upper ball joint rearward providing extra caster. Is this what i want ?

When I am done installing the front end and take it is to be aligned what do i tell the mechanic? I assume that the specs in the book for the car are out the window so do you request something special in regards to the caster (i.e., maximize positive caster) and camber? Is there a table floating around for desired alignment specs for the radial tire era that differs form the original MOPAR specs?

What I tell the alignment guy is the following specs: 1/2 degree NEG camber, 2+ degrees of POS caster, not to exceed 3.5 degrees and 1/8" of toe IN. In a stock height A body that has never been wrecked, the Moog K7103 offset bushings can get you there. It may be possible without the offset bushings, but if you have to replace them anyway, its the better idea.

Re: UCA bushings extra camber or not? [Re: BTTG] #956217
03/23/11 06:02 PM
03/23/11 06:02 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

guess my confusion stemmed from the need to buy extra camber bushings to use in an "off label" way to get extra caster. off label but perfectly legitimite/safe/correct

So to clarify if i buy these extra camber bushings

i can install the offsets like in the photo from autoxcuda in this thread and this will push the upper ball joint rearward providing extra caster. Is this what i want to do? yes
When I am done installing the front end and take it is to be aligned what do i tell the mechanic? and now is the time to find this info out and plan before i order my front end parts.

In your level driveway w 1/2 tank of gas/tires inflated to what psi you want/front end all done: have the 2 LCA nuts in front of the tapered shafts lightly snugged and same w UCA cam bolts: Set your weight in barbells in the dr seat & YOU crank the t bar adj bolts on each side till the front end height and the tire to fender clearance is where YOU want it and equal side to side and jounce it after each of your adjustments THEN w the toe in close to zero put a carpenters level on each sidewall (vertical) & w the cam bolts (both) turned so you have max caster (UBJ is max rearward) then turn the rear cam till the tire(s) are plumb vertical (zero camber) and turn the front cam if more adjustment is needed then w the steering wheel centered turn the tie rod sleeves till the tires (toe in) are perfectly straight ahead then turn each sleeve to move each tire in a skosh & clamp the tie rod sleeves then tighten the cam bolt nuts TIGHT (if you drive it in), snug if trailering it and the LCA nuts (2) sort of snug then push the weights over to the pass side & drive it or trailer it to the shop and unload it OUTSIDE & loosen the LCA nuts(2) and the cam bolt nuts and drive it onto the rack & pull the weights back onto the dr seat. Ahead of time ask the shop to assign their oldest most experienced guy to work on your baby and slip the guy they select a 20 to take some care w it. Tell him the ride HEIGHT is already exactly where you want it. When he's done aligning it tell him to tighten the UCA cam bolts TIGHT. Pay the bill/push the weights back over/drive it off the rack & out the door/take the weights home/take her out for a spin & see how she handles. Overkill but that's me & I can take my hands off of the wheel & it stays centered and it turns easily & no excessive tire wear