03/19/11 12:56 PM
03/19/11 12:56 PM
Northern Virginia
Moparmaniacc Offline OP
super stock
Moparmaniacc  Offline OP
super stock

Northern Virginia
I didn't want to jump on the other timing post going right now, so here's a question.

With the exception of one light advance spring replacing the heavy one, I have a stock distributor in my 400. The problem is, no matter how far I advance my timing, I can't get it to ping or kick back on the starter. When I advance too far beyond the optimum point, all that happens is the car starts "bucking" as I goose the accelerator. Does this mean my compression is just plain awful?

Also, is there any other way to shorten slots on a stock distributor beside welding? I don't have a welder.

Re: Advancing Timing [Re: Moparmaniacc] #953682
03/19/11 07:00 PM
03/19/11 07:00 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

When I advance too far beyond the optimum point, all that happens is the car starts "bucking" as I goose the accelerator. Does this mean my compression is just plain awful? no

Also, is there any other way to shorten slots on a stock distributor beside welding?

JimG the JB weldmaster swears by it and he's from your area (virginia). I tried it once on that & it came loose on down the line but evidently I just dont have the knack for it. I'm sure there is some steel in a tube or something similar that will work. I've seen some of those 2 part epoxies and they're as hard as nails. I would get the 4 subsystems of your dist spot on (in order) initial/total (38 in your case)/springs/vac adv (2 parts)

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Advancing Timing [Re: RapidRobert] #953683
03/20/11 02:16 AM
03/20/11 02:16 AM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
FBO sells a plate that goes over the shaft to limit the total travel of the curve

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: Advancing Timing [Re: Moparmaniacc] #953684
03/20/11 11:46 AM
03/20/11 11:46 AM
SE Kansas
I
indytex96 Offline
enthusiast
indytex96  Offline
enthusiast
I

SE Kansas
Quote:

I didn't want to jump on the other timing post going right now, so here's a question.

With the exception of one light advance spring replacing the heavy one, I have a stock distributor in my 400. The problem is, no matter how far I advance my timing, I can't get it to ping or kick back on the starter. When I advance too far beyond the optimum point, all that happens is the car starts "bucking" as I goose the accelerator. Does this mean my compression is just plain awful?

Also, is there any other way to shorten slots on a stock distributor beside welding? I don't have a welder.

I agree. Tried timing mine the same way and could never get it to ping. However I had to back it off a bit as it did get to the point it did not want to start hot.