USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Here are photos of RPM treated parts from the Valiant along with an experiment that we did between two bare metal parts.

Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC [Re: ECS] #950368
03/16/11 04:45 PM
03/16/11 04:45 PM
St Louis, Missouri
Runnin74 Offline
mopar
Runnin74  Offline
mopar

St Louis, Missouri
Dave,

I just purchased some of your RPM to use on the front suspension of my 74 Road Runner. I'm in the process of documenting the paint inspection/ID marks and there are way more than I thought. Most are of course on the ends where the castle nuts are, but there are a number that are in the middle of the part. I assume these are identification marks so the assembler can just grab the right part out of a bin on the line. For example I found a pink mark in the center of the left side (drivers) steering arm that is bolted to the lower side of the spindle. The end that connects to the tie rod has a Lt. blue mark. There is no paint mark where the lower ball joint goes through the arm. I take it that the ID marks were present when the part was assembled and the inspection marks were put on later after the suspension was assembled. The runs in the paint on the part (ID mark vs inspection marks) go in different directions. I think to be absolutely correct the ID marks would have to be put on first then the suspension assembled and then marked with inspection daubs. I thought what I'd do was get the suspension parts cleaned then sealed with RPM and put them together when I arrived at that point in re-assembly. That could be some time from now. If I use the RPM now then it would not accept paint when I get around to re-assembly, correct? Do you have any suggestions?

Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC [Re: Runnin74] #950369
03/17/11 03:43 AM
03/17/11 03:43 AM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

If I use the RPM now then it would not accept paint when I get around to re-assembly, correct? Do you have any suggestions?

We ran into the same scenario when restoring some of the suspension pieces on the Valiant. Various parts were completed and set aside for months before they were ready to be assembled. I suggest completely treating the parts with RPM and when you are ready to re-install them, take some lacquer thinner to the small areas that will be painted. Put the paint marks back on those bare areas that have been wiped off with the solvent. After the paint marks dry, re-treat those areas with RPM. It will not hurt the new paint and everything will be sealed and protected from moisture! This can all be done within a 24 hour period so you won't have to worry about the parts rusting again.

Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC [Re: ECS] #950370
03/17/11 09:32 AM
03/17/11 09:32 AM
London, England
Gavin Offline
top fuel
Gavin  Offline
top fuel

London, England
Dave is this suitable for parts that get hot? e.g. caliper adaptors - if they heat up would the RPM reliquify and drip off??

Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC [Re: Gavin] #950371
03/17/11 11:34 AM
03/17/11 11:34 AM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

Dave is this suitable for parts that get hot? e.g. caliper adaptors - if they heat up would the RPM reliquify and drip off??

I used it on my disc brake calipers as well as the head-pipe on the Valiant. It can't drip off because it is applied as a thin film. Even if you tried to apply too much material, the excess would flow and run off of the part. It might turn shiny again if it is exposed to constant heat but it will go back to its normal (inconspicuous) appearance once the part cools off again. It was not developed for components exposed to constant (direct) heat such as exhaust manifolds. Those type of areas have never been tested. It does work well on bolts and pieces located in the engine compartment.

Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC [Re: ECS] #950372
03/17/11 07:03 PM
03/17/11 07:03 PM
St Louis, Missouri
Runnin74 Offline
mopar
Runnin74  Offline
mopar

St Louis, Missouri
Quote:

Quote:

If I use the RPM now then it would not accept paint when I get around to re-assembly, correct? Do you have any suggestions?

We ran into the same scenario when restoring some of the suspension pieces on the Valiant. Various parts were completed and set aside for months before they were ready to be assembled. I suggest completely treating the parts with RPM and when you are ready to re-install them, take some lacquer thinner to the small areas that will be painted. Put the paint marks back on those bare areas that have been wiped off with the solvent. After the paint marks dry, re-treat those areas with RPM. It will not hurt the new paint and everything will be sealed and protected from moisture! This can all be done within a 24 hour period so you won't have to worry about the parts rusting again.

Thanks, great suggestion - thats what I'll plan on doing!

Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC [Re: Runnin74] #950373
03/26/11 04:05 PM
03/26/11 04:05 PM
KY
65pacecar Offline
master
65pacecar  Offline
master

KY
Dave,
I have been using RPM on several restoration projects and the results have been outstanding. The Product is easy to apply, doesn’t modify the original appearance and has proven to be very durable. As a Design Engineer I am always interested about how a product will perform in various conditions, so I decided to run it through several test, including lab testing and a road test. The initial test started as a road test in December and lasted until March through a particularly harsh winter (applied to a front end component on a daily driver); I am pleased to say the product performed extremely well through every temperature change, snow/ice event and several salt cycles. During the road test I also conducted several lab test cycles alongside the new OEM Components I was testing for the market; the test included extreme temperature changes, 1000 hour salt spray, 100% humidity testing and it is currently going through additional “abrasive” testing. The testing was performed on a bare metal tie rod end with RPM applied after heating the part with a conventional heat gun, the product performed perfectly and generated better results than anticipated, if fact it performed as well as any of the OEM components in the test group and outperformed several of the samples. Before starting the final test, I performed a quick inspection of the parts condition, its appearance has not changed through the entire test cycle; which is a remarkable accomplishment. In my opinion, this product is perfect for the restoration industry since it does not alter the original appearance of the part and it will certainly withstand conditions much worse than any restored car/motorcycle will ever encounter. This product also has several potential applications in additional industries, including Marine.
Congratulations on an excellent product, I know you didn’t request this additional testing but curiosity got the best of me and I must say I have been extremely impressed. I plan to keep a supply of it around for future restorations, I always disliked having to paint front end components on a nice driver/show car and lose the original appearance; this product eliminates that problem.

Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC [Re: 65pacecar] #950374
03/27/11 11:25 AM
03/27/11 11:25 AM
Orange Park, FL
MRHWS Offline
enthusiast
MRHWS  Offline
enthusiast

Orange Park, FL
How does RPM work on threaded areas? Does it fill the area, causing a tighter fit or should it be applied after parts(front end componets)have been installed as a touch up?

1973 Charger SE 1974 Charger Rallye 440 Aztec 2008 Charger SRT8
Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC [Re: MRHWS] #950375
03/31/11 10:25 PM
03/31/11 10:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

How does RPM work on threaded areas? Does it fill the area, causing a tighter fit or should it be applied after parts(front end componets)have been installed as a touch up?

Hi everyone,

As a bit of a quick introduction I'm Tom Barcroft with ECS. I manage the production and marketing of RPM . During Project Valiant I took and categorized many of the documentary pictures we used during the restoration. If anyone has any questions or feedback on RPM I'll be glad to provide input and would like to hear of any uses outside of the restoration arena.

Specifically on the bolt question : Treating the bolts and nuts separately would provide protection and allow you to store the parts for future use. The tie-rod ,clamp and nut used in some of the ads and magazine articles for the Valiant was treated a year before it was installed in the car. It's best to apply inspection marks before treating the part / area but some marks must be applied after the part is on the car. just remember to prep the area with thinner and light steel wool, apply your marks then retreat the area to fully protect the part. Applying RPM to the threaded areas does not change the threading ability.

Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC #950376
03/31/11 10:36 PM
03/31/11 10:36 PM
East Brunswick, NJ
F
finadk Offline
enthusiast
finadk  Offline
enthusiast
F

East Brunswick, NJ
Will RPM work on aluminum? I am looking for a way to preserve my Edelbrock Aluminum Heads, fabricated valve covers and intake manifold without painting.
Thanks
Scott

Scott 1956 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer (408 Stroker, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes, Rack & Pinion, 6 speed) 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 1976 Corvette
Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC [Re: finadk] #950377
04/01/11 12:38 AM
04/01/11 12:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Will RPM work on aluminum? I am looking for a way to preserve my Edelbrock Aluminum Heads, fabricated valve covers and intake manifold without painting.
Thanks
Scott

Hi Scott,

RPM will work on aluminum -Steve,part of Project Valiant) has used RPM on the Aluminum / Magnesium wheels on his truck with good success. We haven't tested it in a high heat situation like exhaust manifold, heads, etc. We did use it on the head pipe of the Valiant and so far it looks like the day it was installed on the car. The Valiant has been through heat cycles and hot enough to see tempature building on the heat gage when we went through the awards ceremony at the Mopar Nats. You can see the head pipe in the post higher in the page. That picture is a recent one after heat cycles. Has anyone else used RPM in a higher prolonged heat situation?

Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC #950378
06/03/11 06:27 PM
06/03/11 06:27 PM
Beeton Ontario. Canada
B
BigSugar Offline
BigSugar  Offline
B

Beeton Ontario. Canada
Will RPM work on un anodized trim (Polished Aluminum) I preffer the look of Polished over anodized but I'm a little concerned with the finish tarnishing frequently and having to continually keep a wax finish on the raw aluminum.
What about behind the trim where the Aluminum is in contact with the metal trim clips, will this product help with a barrier between the two dissimilar metals ?

Ron

Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC [Re: BigSugar] #950379
06/03/11 06:28 PM
06/03/11 06:28 PM
Beeton Ontario. Canada
B
BigSugar Offline
BigSugar  Offline
B

Beeton Ontario. Canada
Can RPM be shipped across ther Border to Canada ?

Ron

Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC [Re: ECS] #950380
06/04/11 04:06 AM
06/04/11 04:06 AM
State of retirement
52savoy Offline
master
52savoy  Offline
master

State of retirement
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Apparently, someone from Ken Mosier's restoration shop had told Dave Wise that I "stole" this product from another manufacturer and did nothing more than re-package it under our label

so someone accused you of buying a marketed product, getting it patented, relabeling it then selling it.

not a bad idea, but i doubt it happened that way.

Apparently some idiot "genius" claimed that I took this product from a motorcycle line dating back to the 1990's!?!?! What kind of moron would think that I'd "steal" a product from 20 years ago (that obviously never worked to begin with or caught on) and simply repackage it with my name? I wonder where this "motorcycle" product is that supposedly is just like RPM? Has anyone else ever seen it? I would think that someone would have a good lawsuit pending against me if that were the case!

As stated earlier Tony, this product came to fruition because I lost points on the Cuda and Challenger for using oil on my bare metal parts. I knew that I would have to preserve the parts on the Valiant differently if I was to make up those missed points for the OE judging. I spent MONTHS formulating and engineering ingredients that would preserve bare metal AND be dry to the touch. I did all of this to facilitate a specific need and not with the intent to sell a product. It was the other guys on the Valiant Team that suggested I market it to the Restoration Industry. Every ingredient used is a component specially formulated to make up our PATENTED new product RPM. No other "rust prevention" products were used to inspire or copy RPM from!! It is a completely new concept/process that prevents rust on metal parts!! Pictured below is just ONE of the many raw materials used to manufacture RPM. They are custom made for ECS in 5 gallon metal containers. I opened one to show how it is shipped to our facility in bulk. (RPM obtains its beautiful green/gray color once the other ingredients are blended together.) Cheers to the CRETIN who said we copied someone else's product.......

ok...I've seen the other paste coating(s) and they have been around for a long time but how does yours compare as far as longevity? From what I've read about the "others", you have to go back every so often and do some touch up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360268668881&viewitem=

I know it says Calyx is for exhaust manifolds but it works on other parts too.

Last edited by 52savoy; 06/04/11 04:47 AM.
Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC [Re: BigSugar] #950381
06/05/11 04:30 PM
06/05/11 04:30 PM
sweden
C
cuda-sweden Offline
mopar
cuda-sweden  Offline
mopar
C

sweden
Quote:

Can RPM be shipped across ther Border to Canada ?

Ron

and can it be shipped to sweden? and will you do international shipping?if you do please pm me.thanks

Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC [Re: cuda-sweden] #950382
06/05/11 04:57 PM
06/05/11 04:57 PM
jersey
S
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master
Spaceman Spiff  Offline
master
S

jersey
Just put the engine together. would just running the car up to temperature be ok to apply it to the aluminum intake?

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!
Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC [Re: Spaceman Spiff] #950383
06/05/11 11:13 PM
06/05/11 11:13 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Well I received my RPM this week and like an excited kid on Christmas morning went right into applying it to various test items, I will be putting the parts through the ringer to seek it's limits. I followed the directions to the letter and it went on just as described, very easy and it took very little product to get good coverage. I have high hopes for this new product, it looks very promising for a multitude of applications I have in mind.

Re: RUST PREVENTION MAGIC [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #950384
06/06/11 10:58 AM
06/06/11 10:58 AM
California
M
Moneypit6 Offline
Moneypit6  Offline
M

California
I bought some a little while back. I've used it on a few parts on a Roadrunner I'm working on. My only concern with it is that it will turn back into a liquid state when it's heated to about 120 degrees. Basically, same as when you applied it. As it's a very thin coating it still works fine, but I would think that dirt and grime would have a much easier time clinging to something like that. I put it on parts away from heat for that reason Maybe it doesn't make a difference.

70 Roadrunner almost ready to come off the rotisserie smile
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3