03/11/11 08:25 PM
03/11/11 08:25 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline OP
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline OP
master

Oregon
I just picked up these two transmissions cheap off craigslist.

The one on the right is a 2wd 46RE. Allegedly from a '98 something. The one on the left is a married 46RH from a '95 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.2l.

Note the position for the starter on opposite sides of the bell housing So did Jeep move the starter just because they could, or is one not a 46Rx?

The eventual goal is to put the RH behind a 408 made out of a '96 360/5.9l into my '72 W200. Of course, the starter on the 5.9 is on the drivers side, matching the RE.

I got the RE so I could explore making a standalone controller for it.

Bonus question: I don't suppose the guts and tail housing from the RH will transfer to the RE which has the starter in the correct position?

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: I thought all 46RXs had the same bellhousing? [Re: hooziewhatsit] #948830
03/11/11 08:27 PM
03/11/11 08:27 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline OP
master
master

Oregon
and here's a picture of the oil pans. Other than the ribs, they look the same to me

The 46RH is on the right, and the RE is on the left.

Re: I thought all 46RXs had the same bellhousing? [Re: hooziewhatsit] #948831
03/11/11 08:34 PM
03/11/11 08:34 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
The starter had to be moved on a jeep for a reason , trnasfer case and drive axle maybe.

I don't see why you couldn't stick the guts and OD section from the jeep unit into the RE unit, you may also have to swap over the rear OD piston support , can't remember if the RE unit will have the ports for the lines from the govener which is mounted in the rear of the RH OD .

Re: I thought all 46RXs had the same bellhousing? [Re: hooziewhatsit] #948832
03/11/11 09:16 PM
03/11/11 09:16 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

wow you get around for projects.

I suppose this will be one I will get in line for.

I was aware 2 companies sell a stand alone controler for the 518 re. but one doesn't guarantee it works, the other I have only seen online someone got one from them.
not sure on cost.

Are you going to use a VSS to set it?

Re: I thought all 46RXs had the same bellhousing? [Re: JohnRR] #948833
03/12/11 12:23 AM
03/12/11 12:23 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline OP
master
master

Oregon
Quote:

The starter had to be moved on a jeep for a reason , trnasfer case and drive axle maybe.

True. I saw the jeep it came out of, and it had the driver side front diff.

Quote:

I don't see why you couldn't stick the guts and OD section from the jeep unit into the RE unit, you may also have to swap over the rear OD piston support , can't remember if the RE unit will have the ports for the lines from the govener which is mounted in the rear of the RH OD .

So I guess it's a matter of disassembling both, and comparing the cases to see if there are any differences

Or, in the meantime I'll keep looking for a married RH from a rig with a passenger side front diff. I could use the RE I have, but then I'd have to move my transfer case back a couple feet to make room for the short driveshaft between them

Quote:

wow you get around for projects.

I suppose this will be one I will get in line for.

I was aware 2 companies sell a stand alone controler for the 518 re. but one doesn't guarantee it works, the other I have only seen online someone got one from them.
not sure on cost.

Yea, this could turn out to be a can of worms The fan controller is a priority though. This is at least a few months away, if there turns out to be enough interest.

I did just find that ATS Diesel appears to make a controller for the 47RE. Doesn't appear to be cheap though I also saw that megasquirt has some sort of transmission controller that may or may not be adaptable to work, but it kinda sounded like a kludge to get working. But anyways, if it looks promising, I'll start another thread about the controller later.

Re: I thought all 46RXs had the same bellhousing? [Re: hooziewhatsit] #948834
03/12/11 04:34 PM
03/12/11 04:34 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

The starter had to be moved on a jeep for a reason , transfer case and drive axle maybe.

True. I saw the jeep it came out of, and it had the driver side front diff.

Quote:

I don't see why you couldn't stick the guts and OD section from the jeep unit into the RE unit, you may also have to swap over the rear OD piston support , can't remember if the RE unit will have the ports for the lines from the governor which is mounted in the rear of the RH OD .

So I guess it's a matter of disassembling both, and comparing the cases to see if there are any differences

Or, in the meantime I'll keep looking for a married RH from a rig with a passenger side front diff. I could use the RE I have, but then I'd have to move my transfer case back a couple feet to make room for the short driveshaft between them

I can't think of any difference between the cases past the bellhousing, the rear piston support for the OD bolts in , Sonnax makes a modified unit and it is designed to be used in either an RH or an RE it includes 2 plugs to block the unused gov feed ports for use in an RE I used one in my 47RE .

The only parts you would really need to swap are the would be the mainshaft, not even sure if they are different, the rear support, and the OD unit. Don't know if those are lockup or not so obviously you use the front half for which ever you are using .

Not surprised that the ATS controller is expensive, everything they have is, I've been waiting for years for someone to come out with a standalone controller for the RE ...

Re: I thought all 46RXs had the same bellhousing? [Re: JohnRR] #948835
03/13/11 02:07 PM
03/13/11 02:07 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Gonna take a lot of silicone "right stuff" to make the electrical plug in seal. The RE has a much bigger plug and coresponding hole in the case, may even end up in a slightly different location. Just something else to check.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: I thought all 46RXs had the same bellhousing? [Re: HotRodDave] #948836
03/13/11 03:33 PM
03/13/11 03:33 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Gonna take a lot of silicone "right stuff" to make the electrical plug in seal. The RE has a much bigger plug and coresponding hole in the case, may even end up in a slightly different location. Just something else to check.

Thanks, I didn't realized that, but it wouldn't be hard to get around that .

Re: I thought all 46RXs had the same bellhousing? [Re: HotRodDave] #948837
03/13/11 04:20 PM
03/13/11 04:20 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline OP
master
master

Oregon
Quote:

At a glance they looked about the same size. Yet another reason to mock up everything before doing a final assembly.

Quote:

Don't know if those are lockup or not so obviously you use the front half for which ever you are using .

I believe these both have lockup. The RH has three pins in the plug, and the TCs for each both have tangs (seen in the bottom of the second picture above).

Quote:

Not surprised that the ATS controller is expensive, everything they have is, I've been waiting for years for someone to come out with a standalone controller for the RE ...

If/when I get to it, I'd like to bounce some ideas off you if you don't mind...

6528227-connectors.jpg (59 downloads)