Ontario.Canada
C
can.al Offline
pro stock
can.al  Offline
pro stock
C

Ontario.Canada
..isn't that what Candy said in American Grafitti...
..ya it's been awhile!

Re: How long do I have to wait until I can peel out? [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #943253
03/13/11 08:20 PM
03/13/11 08:20 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Quote:

I swear I haven't heard the term "peel out" in many years!

I like using old fashioned terminlogy sometimes...
Stuff like: What the heck? I'm hip Dang it that really chaps my ass heh heh heh.

Re: How long do I have to wait until I can peel out? [Re: Kern Dog] #943254
03/13/11 09:56 PM
03/13/11 09:56 PM
s.w.fl
B
bonefish Offline
master
bonefish  Offline
master
B

s.w.fl
Quote:

Quote:

I swear I haven't heard the term "peel out" in many years!

I like using old fashioned terminlogy sometimes...
Stuff like: What the heck? I'm hip Dang it that really chaps my ass heh heh heh.

dont forget DADGUMMITT!!!!

Re: How long do I have to wait until I can peel out? [Re: bonefish] #943255
03/14/11 01:54 AM
03/14/11 01:54 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I wanted to peel out today, but this dang car failed me again. This car seems like a prom queen that is a lousy lover. It looks good but lets me down too often.
I went out to start it up this afternoon and it wouldnt start up. To RECAP: After I got the motor in and everything in place, I had NO spark to the plugs. More specifically, I only tested #1 with the plug wire disconnected from the plug at the motor. I put a used spark plug in the wire and looked for spark as I spun the motor. This seems to happen almost every time that I have put in a new motor or cam. I go to start a fresh mill and I get no spark. This time I took a test light and went over 2 other electronic ignition cars to see where power should be with the key in the RUN position, then compared it to the Charger. Everything checked out with the wiring, so I started testing parts. The ECM was bad so I swapped in another one. Still NO spark. I put in another distributor, still no spark. I walked away and came back a little while later. It had spark now but wouldn't start up. The battery was weak so I charged it for 2 hours and put it back in. It fired up on 3 revolutions and ran great!
I went out to drive it today and it was back to the same old problem. For some crazy reason the car chooses when to run. I have a hard time believing that 2 different distributors can be acting up in the same way... spark, then NO spark. The battery has a full charge. I had a pal help out. He is pretty sharp with electrical systems and even HE is stumped. This is my big weakness: electrical problems. We took the wiring apart at the bulkhead and cleaned all of the terminals. Still it wont run. As usual, the spark is there sometimes and other times it isnt. What the heck is going on?
I'm going to test the distributors on another vehicle tomorrow. If they both work fine I'll have to figure that there is a problem in my wiring. I have already put in a new MSD coil and ballast, a good ECM and a new distributor cap. Just for grins I also tried another ignition switch, thinking that there might be a faulty wire in the steering column. It didnt help. Can YOU ?

6529163-00000008.JPG (113 downloads)
Re: How long do I have to wait until I can peel out? [Re: Kern Dog] #943256
03/14/11 02:07 AM
03/14/11 02:07 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
check ALL your wires, AND grounds.

you have a bad connection/loose splice/connector, or a bad ground somewhere, and it's showing up intermittently.

electrical gremlins suck. I hate them. I've had MANY rear their ugly heads and stump me for a few days, then I find what it was, and felt like such an idiot because it was always something so simple.

one time I had a no-charge issue, but everything would start up and run just fine. poor connection on my body to negative terminal, but the block had enough of a ground to run the lights, motor, etc. but the Voltage regulator wasn't happy and didn't tell the alternator to charge. another time, i had a no start for a few days. troubleshot it down to a bad coil.

swapped coils, still no start! I was frustrated! walked away and came back the next day. that's when I discovered a bad connection on the positive wire feeding the coil. the terminal was there and holding onto the wire so it appeared to be normal, but the copper strands had lost contact with the crimp somehow. new terminal spliced on, and it fired right up!!

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: How long do I have to wait until I can peel out? [Re: GomangoCuda] #943257
03/14/11 03:30 AM
03/14/11 03:30 AM
Here
DirectSubjection Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only
DirectSubjection  Offline

Here
Quote:

1. Break in the cam
2. check for fluid leaks and levels
3. Check and adjust timing, idle mixture etc.
4. drive it like you stole it.

In the years since I started it, I have maybe 500 miles on the Duster - no way I was waiting until now to light the tires.

Broke the cam in, cruised around to make sure the suspension and brakes were operating ok (I changed everything in the rebuild), then floored it - several times.

Ride eternal, shiny and chrome
Re: How long do I have to wait until I can peel out? [Re: 70Cuda383] #943258
03/14/11 03:33 AM
03/14/11 03:33 AM
Here
DirectSubjection Offline
DirectSubjection  Offline

Here
Quote:

check ALL your wires, AND grounds.

you have a bad connection/loose splice/connector, or a bad ground somewhere, and it's showing up intermittently.

Probably some silly loose issue - when you find it you'll be like DOH!

Ride eternal, shiny and chrome
Re: How long do I have to wait until I can peel out? [Re: DirectSubjection] #943259
03/14/11 03:39 AM
03/14/11 03:39 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Thats what i am hoping for. I'll probably unwrap the wiring to look at everything too.
OH...By the way... While the engine was out, I cleaned and degreased the engine bay AND hosed it out good. I would think that after a week, everything would have dried out...I wonder if that could be an issue?

Re: How long do I have to wait until I can peel out? [Re: Kern Dog] #943260
03/14/11 10:00 AM
03/14/11 10:00 AM
Pendleton NY
T
terzmo Offline
top fuel
terzmo  Offline
top fuel
T

Pendleton NY
well...people say drive and break in...others say "drive it like You stole it". Builders put far more money into a race car motor than We ever will...bolt it on a dyno and run it full out. So what is right? what about the "crate" engines that come with dyno slips?

My opinion is if it don't leak, don't make unwanted noises...enjoy it as long as You're under the redline.

In the 60's....very few "broke" a new car in by babying it. Usual left a "patch" when leaving the dealer. oh, patch = peel in OMF talk.

also...laying rubber...smokin...etc

Re: How long do I have to wait until I can peel out? [Re: terzmo] #943261
03/14/11 10:16 AM
03/14/11 10:16 AM
Eastern,NC
68GTS383 Offline
pro stock
68GTS383  Offline
pro stock

Eastern,NC
I run mine for two minutes at 2000 RPM let it cool down ,check for leaks,take it off of jack stands and leave black marks coming out of my shop!Do you think that engines built for Nascar or for drag racing are broke in? If it is not built right it will fail regardless of how you try to break it in.

Re: How long do I have to wait until I can peel out? [Re: 68GTS383] #943262
03/14/11 10:54 AM
03/14/11 10:54 AM
Suffolk,VA
I
ireland383 Offline
super stock
ireland383  Offline
super stock
I

Suffolk,VA
Quote:

I run mine for two minutes at 2000 RPM let it cool down ,check for leaks,take it off of jack stands and leave black marks coming out of my shop!Do you think that engines built for Nascar or for drag racing are broke in? If it is not built right it will fail regardless of how you try to break it in.

Let her rip!

Re: How long do I have to wait until I can peel out? [Re: Kern Dog] #943263
03/14/11 01:05 PM
03/14/11 01:05 PM
My Garage / Museum
idrivevintage Offline
Chrysler Plant
idrivevintage  Offline
Chrysler Plant

My Garage / Museum
Have you thought about your ignition switch?

Next time you have a no spark condition just run a wire from the positive side of the coil to the positive post on the battery and see if your good then. I've had a trouble like that before and after replacing the switch was fine.

Another thing you could look at is your neutral safety switch, ground out its lead on the starter relay and see if that does the trick.

Good luck

For what its worth that rubber fuel line and the placement of your fuel filter looks like a future fire I lost one once because of something similar

Just thought I'd throw that out there.........your car is way to pretty to lose to a fire

Re: How long do I have to wait until I can peel out? [Re: idrivevintage] #943264
03/14/11 03:17 PM
03/14/11 03:17 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Quote:

Next time you have a no spark condition just run a wire from the positive side of the coil to the positive post on the battery and see if your good then. I've had a trouble like that before and after replacing the switch was fine.

Another thing you could look at is your neutral safety switch

For what its worth that rubber fuel line and the placement of your fuel filter looks like a future fire I lost one once because of something similar

[/quote

Thanks. I HAVE tried to use a jumper wire to the coil and I noticed no difference. I also unplugged the ignition switch at the base of the column and plugged in another. The second switch spun the motor over just the same way without letting the motor fire up. NO change.
I thought about the neutral safety switch, but I thought it only prevented the motor from spinning over, as if the signal to the starter were interrupted. The current setup lets the starter function. At this point I could certainly ground the terminal just to see if it makes a difference.
Finally, THANKS for your compliments as well as the concern on the fuel line. This is an old photo from 4 years ago. The motor looks pretty much the same now EXCEPT for That fuel line. I switched to a glass filter and routed it further away from the distributor.

Re: How long do I have to wait until I can peel out? [Re: Kern Dog] #943265
03/14/11 08:24 PM
03/14/11 08:24 PM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…

Seen that before... amhik

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Re: How long do I have to wait until I can peel out? [Re: BloFish] #943266
03/14/11 10:35 PM
03/14/11 10:35 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Its ALIVE.... AGAIN!
Someone once told me that quite often, electrical problems turn out to be something simple.
I didnt want to keep cranking on the motor UNTIL it got spark, so I took 2 other distributors to test on the cars wiring. I used a spare cap and wires with used spark plugs in them with the distributor laying on the motor. I spun the dist. shaft and got spark from all the plugs laying on the intake. I stepped away for a moment and tried again. NOTHING. This was interesting. I have 3 distributors doing the same thing...intermittent spark. I decided to unwrap the wiring to look for tears in the insulation or anything obvious. The blue wire from the ECM to the ballast had a loose contact at the solderless connector at the Ballast resistor. I fixed it, but the symptoms remained. The plug into the black ECM seemed wonky, so I put another ECM in. The terminals on the black one were a little bent, which probably made the plug fit wierd. I went over all the connections again, looking for any potential problem areas, but everything else looked great. I got in and it fired up easily! After a warm up, I went out on the road. I laid into it after a mile or so and the throttle stuck! I smashed it a couple times and it popped it loose. I put 10 miles on it without being able to floor it, but I did lay into in about half throttle. It sounds great, idles great and feels strong. At home I played with the throttle cable and bracket and the "sticky" is gone. Rain started to fall so I had to call it a day. I cant be driving this car sideways in traffic during rainstorms. Thats what my $1500 67 Dart is for!
Thanks for the help guys... I'm sure the suggestions sunk in to the point where they seemed like my own ideas.....

6530530-00000007.JPG (105 downloads)
Page 2 of 2 1 2