02/10/11 01:26 PM
Menomonee Falls
DemonDust Offline
master
DemonDust  Offline
master

Menomonee Falls
Quote:

Luckily there are substantial amount of P7 heads being stashed and somebody making blocks that will accomodate them.

I've seen that first hand. They are stacked like cord wood. And I'd say where I seen them, there were at least 6 full cords

Last edited by R5P7Duster; 02/10/11 01:29 PM.

SDG Motorsports
Hellcat Demon and Redeye Supercharger CNC Porting
https://www.sdgmotorsports.com/
Re: Small block race block [Re: DemonDust] #922035
02/10/11 01:31 PM
02/10/11 01:31 PM
Ohio
T
theclutcher Offline
top fuel
theclutcher  Offline
top fuel
T

Ohio
No doubt.
Harvesting them like the Axemen on tv.

Re: Small block race block [Re: BobsProFab] #922036
02/10/11 03:46 PM
02/10/11 03:46 PM
Texas Afghanistan Iraq etc.
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Quote:

my
most mopar guys are to cheap to spend the coin on a high end build.
they rely on companys to spit out mass production stuff or buy older tech knowledge hoping to compete with other brands, this is where you need to go out side the box on a build.

i will have more in my P7 heads and intake when they come back from Slawko then most on here have in there entire motor.

and you are not going to get the knowledge from what i call your average hack builder/assembler

you need to aline your self with high end builders that has done them and proved that they are the best.

and for the R5 cast block its a siamesed bore that can be bored 4.250 no problem and is fully skrited with 6 bolt billet mains/sealed cam tunnel with a 60 mm roller, perfect valve train geo. and a 20 bolt head. it dont get any better than that other than the open deck design which is like a desiel motor and they put tons of boost to them with no problems, so i dont see why you couldnt put boost to a R5 also.
REI that speacializes in turbo builds near me looked at my R5 block when they flowed my Davis heads and said they wouldnt be scared to do a boosted deal with one, and make ALOT of power no problem.

R5 blocks are everywhere for sale, just need to contact the right guys.

Bob

I have to Agree with BOB!!
1: It's knowing who to talk to
2: Don't be a cheap-aXX!!

When I finally decided to get serious about my Turbo Build and get an R3 and W9's. Mopar was selling W9's for $900/pr and their R3 was in the middle of a 2yr freeze. Got a pair on myshelf that I can't give away cause no one wants to spend the money to set them up to use. Sorry but be it Ford or Chevy or Mopar, Head parts all cost the same.

I just by Chance found a 468" (P4876673) short block one night on here for $6500. Had a Billet crank. aluminum rods and Ross Pistons. Knowing what I was going to do and what was in the block. $6500 was a smoking deal!! Even addressing the fact that the Rods and Pistons would probably be useless to me.

Before I got home (Texas to Va and back) I had a Message on my phone about some heads that might fit my build. W9-RPs fully dressed for a sprint car. After doing some research and getting the details figured out. The $4200 asking price again was a steal for what I got. And I have recently found out that what I got in the W9-RP heads is more than I thought I was getting when I bought them. The W9-RP is actually the same as the Chevy SB2 heads to the point that a well known builder (not a Mopar builder either) uses the same port program for both heads. The SB2s are what the FAST small block chevy guys run.

I also got a chance to actually get a set of SB2's in my hand and look them over. They are just like the W9-RP. The guy that had them in his shop told me his customer had almost Twice as much in them as I had in mine for the exact same capability of parts.

So the Engine parts are out there and rather easy and not too expensive to come by!!(No more than the Ford or Chevy equivalent) I know Mopar still makes the P4876673 Block and I think you can still get the W9-RP heads from them. If you can't make enough power with those 2 you need a new engine builder or alot more cubes!!

Far as the Cars themselves!!! Yeah we are kind of screwed on that one. To be competitive you need a car you can get down below 2400lbs. Which in my Personal selection would be the 1965-1975 Barracudas and Darts and Dusters or variations there of. All the ones I have looked at lately your going to pay $8000+ for a rust bucket with all the parts there.

If you like them some of the cars from the 80's fit the bill well and cheap BUT personally I think they are BUTT-UGLY!! That's just me!!

I personally got a '99 Dakota R/T at BondoBob's shop being hacked on for a tube chassis 25.3SFI and my 468 with Twins. Hopefully I'll get out of this desert some day to get it all together and enjoy.

That being said!!! The Ford and Chevy guys spend a lot more money than people think they do. My buddies 2005 Mustang in Outlaw 10.5 with a 665cui Disomma Ford and Twins cost him $200,000.

Now if your looking to get into this league of racing there are a few fiberglass door-slammer bodies out there to be had or built!! Again NOT CHEAP!!

Take a look at some of the builders web pages that build stuff for those Fast Chevies and Fords and you'll see that Mopar stuff is not off the mark in pricing!! Availability on the other hand? It's just knowing who to talk to. BUT Honestly it's that way in Chevy and Ford circles as well if your not running a class dictated set-up that everybody and there brother has copy of, that is still $40-90K

As for builders. Try looking out of the norm of people that are labeled as Mopar builders. I have about decided on who will put mine together when it comes that time and he isn't know for Building Mopars but those that he has make some serious power. (980hp on 420cui N/A)

Only place I could say that Mopar has a slight legit excuse is the availability of decent donor cars for a Race Build. But even that is negligible. I have seen many Prior Race Mopars for sale for less than $10k that if they weren't a Race car could have easily been Twice that.

On the Modern note. The GenIII hemi made 700hp at the engine masters challenge this year on crappy 91octane fuel. That being said; the 2008 Challnger isn't exactly the Model of aerodynamics for a race car or a lite-weight either. Nor cheap even for a wrecked one!! I looked hard and couldn't find even wrecked ones that were usable for less than $18,000.

Now quit the snivling and gette'rdun!! or just sit in the Bleachers and watch!!

If your driving a Mopar your probably someone that likes to be different from the Norm. (you would think that Thinking outside the box would be in there as well but some seem to miss that point) Being different has it's Cost so suck it up and pay the price and the dues!!

I would like to thank:
Leon, BondoBob, Mike Gray, and Chris Uratchko for helping me see the light and have faith in Mopar!! Also thanks to my Chevy and Ford buddies for letting me hang around and see what the Other-Guys are working with, take notes and see how they get it done!!

Re: Small block race block [Re: DemonDust] #922037
02/10/11 04:06 PM
02/10/11 04:06 PM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Quote:

Quote:

Luckily there are substantial amount of P7 heads being stashed and somebody making blocks that will accomodate them.

I've seen that first hand. They are stacked like cord wood. And I'd say where I seen them, there were at least 6 full cords

This reminds me of something I recently found out about Aluminum Heads for Magnum motors. The ones that Mopar had listed years ago that no-one could seem to get. Well they dumped a pile of them (hundreds) off on Indy when they decided to totally discontinue them. Indy has them in their SALE section and everyone that I know that I have told about the is TOO CHEAP to buy them at $800/pr. One of the builders here even told me they could be made to be as good as a set of Edelbrocks.

Re: Small block race block [Re: DakFink] #922038
02/10/11 08:29 PM
02/10/11 08:29 PM
IL. Jerseyville
J
jg309 Offline
enthusiast
jg309  Offline
enthusiast
J

IL. Jerseyville
my short deck xr2 weighed 237# when delv. with @ 3.89 bore, after Ryan got bore @ 4.1875 & deck @6.085 @some lighting work it's down to 195# app., this enigne is a 397c/i with a billet crank,steel rods,all good pieces, no junk, boy's you just got think out of the BOX,any thing is possible, i've still got $5000 less than a comparable junk-a-lay,am looking forward to raceing some good brand-x's,hang in there bob,duster,&all you had heads, it can be done & within reason thank's Ryan @ shadey dell& kent ritter jg309

Last edited by jg309; 02/10/11 08:30 PM.
Re: Small block race block [Re: Plumb Wired] #922039
08/18/11 06:12 AM
08/18/11 06:12 AM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Quote:

I see i'm beating a dead horse here. I forgot Mopar people are cheap. I'm just tired of beating my head against the wall with the SB stuff. Spent a lot of money and we are still just a participant, I want to be the car to beat. Time to look more seriously at the Predator or 99 Hemi stuff. Flame on!

Mike Gray

Sorry for Dragging up an Old Post BUT: some new found Friends and Knowledge have shed some lights on your Comment. and I have to Agree!

Your right if your running a SB your just going to be another participant. Ask Billy Glidden: He's been pushing a SB Ford against all the others in his class for years and last 1-2 years finally admitted he's going to finally have to bite the bullet and go BIG or Go Home.

Only way your going to be the CAR TO BEAT with Mopar Power is 1 of 2 ways.

1: Indy Maxx 655 with Predator Heads and a Pair of 88-91mm Turbos out front.

2: Jon Kaase 820cui Mopar Hemi (He does Hemis in 3 flavors) and 3-5 stages of nitrous.

And have it in a car that's under 2800lbs.

There was a Guy out of Va that had a W9 headed single turbo Blow Through in an Avenger on Alcohol. Made a few 6.9 passes but haven't heard anything since. Had potential BUT no dedication I guess?

Problem with SB is the maintenance, and it ain't oil changes either.

Honestly when you get to those levels, I'd be calling on people like Sonny, Kaase, or Fulton.

Most of the guys that run their engines the only thing Ford or Chevy about their vehicles is the appearance.

I know 1 guy that has Run Fords, Chevies and Pontiacs and all had Fulton Power under the hood. That's all he'll run. He could car less what the actual car is.

Re: Small block race block [Re: DakFink] #922040
08/18/11 09:19 PM
08/18/11 09:19 PM
Blue Ridge, VA
Plumb Wired Offline
master
Plumb Wired  Offline
master

Blue Ridge, VA
Quote:

Quote:

I see i'm beating a dead horse here. I forgot Mopar people are cheap. I'm just tired of beating my head against the wall with the SB stuff. Spent a lot of money and we are still just a participant, I want to be the car to beat. Time to look more seriously at the Predator or 99 Hemi stuff. Flame on!

Mike Gray

Sorry for Dragging up an Old Post BUT: some new found Friends and Knowledge have shed some lights on your Comment. and I have to Agree!

Your right if your running a SB your just going to be another participant. Ask Billy Glidden: He's been pushing a SB Ford against all the others in his class for years and last 1-2 years finally admitted he's going to finally have to bite the bullet and go BIG or Go Home.

2: Jon Kaase 820cui Mopar Hemi (He does Hemis in 3 flavors) and 3-5 stages of nitrous.

There was a Guy out of Va that had a W9 headed single turbo Blow Through in an Avenger on Alcohol. Made a few 6.9 passes but haven't heard anything since. Had potential BUT no dedication I guess?

Honestly when you get to those levels, I'd be calling on people like Sonny, Kaase, or Fulton.

Most of the guys that run their engines the only thing Ford or Chevy about their vehicles is the appearance.

I know 1 guy that has Run Fords, Chevies and Pontiacs and all had Fulton Power under the hood. That's all he'll run. He could car less what the actual car is.

Kenny, those combinations are not legal for our local small tire class. We went to a dual disc clutch and Browell 8 5/8 can as well as putting the Dart on a 250 pound weight loss program. We went out last weekend for the first time this year and we weren't even close on the clutch, we will be testing tomorrow and racing Sat. if all goes well. Trying to make the best of what we have.

Mike Gray

RIP Monte Smith

aka: OutlawFish
'98 Bickel Dodge Dakota PST
Re: Small block race block [Re: Plumb Wired] #922041
08/19/11 06:49 AM
08/19/11 06:49 AM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike Gray

Kenny, those combinations are not legal for our local small tire class. We went to a dual disc clutch and Browell 8 5/8 can as well as putting the Dart on a 250 pound weight loss program. We went out last weekend for the first time this year and we weren't even close on the clutch, we will be testing tomorrow and racing Sat. if all goes well. Trying to make the best of what we have.

Mike Gray

Mike,

I'm starting to get Confused with all these SMALL TIRE Class rules at Local tracks. I thought that was the purpose of Small Tire classes to eliminate the need for so many restrictive RULES.

Basically build whatever you want as long as it meets safety and you can get the power to the ground through XXX-wide tire. Let the TIRES be the restriction / equalizer.

What size Tire are you running in your class?

Re: Small block race block [Re: DakFink] #922042
08/19/11 09:23 AM
08/19/11 09:23 AM
Blue Ridge, VA
Plumb Wired Offline
master
Plumb Wired  Offline
master

Blue Ridge, VA
Kenny, we run a 28x10.5 (3055S) Mickey Thompson. Here are the rules for our class, heavy hitters are in the 5.00 to 5.20 ET range. We ran a 5.30 last year at 3240 pounds and a single disc clutch. We are now right at 3000 pounds.

http://king-of-the-streets.org/Street%20Race%20Rules%202011.htm

RIP Monte Smith

aka: OutlawFish
'98 Bickel Dodge Dakota PST
Re: Small block race block [Re: Plumb Wired] #922043
08/19/11 11:16 AM
08/19/11 11:16 AM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Quote:

Kenny, we run a 28x10.5 (3055S) Mickey Thompson. Here are the rules for our class, heavy hitters are in the 5.00 to 5.20 ET range. We ran a 5.30 last year at 3240 pounds and a single disc clutch. We are now right at 3000 pounds.

http://king-of-the-streets.org/Street%20Race%20Rules%202011.htm

Just curious how did they come up with those weight to combo rules?

They should have just made it a Small Block class and been done with it. LOL!!!

Re: Small block race block [Re: DakFink] #922044
08/19/11 11:31 AM
08/19/11 11:31 AM
Charleston, SC
S
SCDaytona Offline
mopar
SCDaytona  Offline
mopar
S

Charleston, SC
Sorry, I would have to disagree about the W9's being the same as the GM SB2 heads. A well flowed CFE W8 head is around 420 @ 0.9 lift where a SB2.2 head @0.9 lift has been around 450.

Re: Small block race block [Re: SCDaytona] #922045
08/19/11 11:41 AM
08/19/11 11:41 AM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Quote:

Sorry, I would have to disagree about the W9's being the same as the GM SB2 heads. A well flowed CFE W8 head is around 420 @ 0.9 lift where a SB2.2 head @0.9 lift has been around 450.

Not my statement but a repeat of what an engine builder that has worked with both heads told me.

These were W9-RPs and SB2s. He said he used they same program on his CNC to port both.

Re: Small block race block [Re: SCDaytona] #922046
08/19/11 12:04 PM
08/19/11 12:04 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

You could go with the Gen3 Apache head it apparently flows 350 out of the box and 400 cfm ported.
Sonny stated the hemisphere head is design to be blown. The design makes if a very efficient head.
Oh and by the way the Gen3 head is a production head. The only other head for a smallblock that would be better is the P5 and they don't make them anymore. Matt

Re: Small block race block [Re: MattW] #922047
08/19/11 12:20 PM
08/19/11 12:20 PM
Kalispell Mt.
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
Happy Birthday HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here

Kalispell Mt.
Fully ported apatche head N/A and 439 cubes would be awesome in that class, specially if you could get the high rise single plane drag-pak intake under the hood.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Small block race block [Re: DakFink] #922048
08/19/11 06:43 PM
08/19/11 06:43 PM
Lynchburg, VA
Leon441 Offline
master
Leon441  Offline
master

Lynchburg, VA
Not my statement but a repeat of what an engine builder that has worked with both heads told me.

These were W9-RPs and SB2s. He said he used they same program on his CNC to port both.

Somebody misspoke. The P7 and SB2 can share parts of the same program. The big difference is bore spacing the Mopar has a larger bore space. You use the same CNC program and the valves are going to be out of place on the end cylinders by a large margin. The W9 RP is no where close as it is a wedge design where the SB2 is a canted valve arrangement. The intake ports are not even in the same ball part. I'm told the SB2 and P7 share the same port on many CNC programs.

Leon

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.
Re: Small block race block [Re: Leon441] #922049
08/19/11 08:22 PM
08/19/11 08:22 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada

Somebody misspoke. The P7 and SB2 can share parts of the same program. The big difference is bore spacing the Mopar has a larger bore space. You use the same CNC program and the valves are going to be out of place on the end cylinders by a large margin. The W9 RP is no where close as it is a wedge design where the SB2 is a canted valve arrangement. The intake ports are not even in the same ball part. I'm told the SB2 and P7 share the same port on many CNC programs.

Leon

That would make sense. Cookie cutter cars Cookies cutters engines.
Would it be cheaper to go with the G3 hemi

Re: Small block race block [Re: Leon441] #922050
08/19/11 11:30 PM
08/19/11 11:30 PM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Quote:

Leon

Leon,

Thansk for clearing that up.

I was under the impression that the W9 and SB2 were comparable and run at the same time in the same Race-Series.

With the P7 and SB2.2 being close to the same and again run at the same time under the same series.

I did find it odd that Mopar would go from a W9 to P7 name label and Chevy would only do a SB2 to a SB2.2 insinuating that a SB2.2 would just be a slightly different head than the same ole SB2.

Either way I know what my next set of heads would be if I stayed Small block.

Re: Small block race block [Re: MattW] #922051
08/20/11 01:05 AM
08/20/11 01:05 AM
Dyno
J
JSL Offline
JSL  Offline
J

Dyno
Quote:

The only other head for a smallblock that would be better is the P5 and they don't make them anymore. Matt

P5 Dodge

Re: Small block race block [Re: JSL] #922052
08/20/11 06:11 AM
08/20/11 06:11 AM
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Quote:

Quote:

The only other head for a smallblock that would be better is the P5 and they don't make them anymore. Matt

P5 Dodge

Do they have the R4 blocks as well? OR would a Ritter XR-block work?

Are they having those made? Or are they getting them from who-ever in Australia started copying them?

From what I read the Mopar castings were a bit thin, and tended to crack in the runners after porting.

Re: Small block race block [Re: DakFink] #922053
08/20/11 10:02 AM
08/20/11 10:02 AM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

P5 Dodge

Do they have the R4 blocks as well? OR would a Ritter XR-block work?

Are they having those made? Or are they getting them from who-ever in Australia started copying them?
I don't think that the XR block would work with the P5. If they could make it work then IMO you would have a winning combination. I an not sold on the P7 deal I don't think it would work as well as a P5. But what do I know. LOL

From what I read the Mopar castings were a bit thin, and tended to crack in the runners after porting.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5