Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
When you seal the scoop if the car does not pick up,the scoop is the problem. Most of the time being the scoop opening is not large enough,also some scoops just will not work on some cars. You may also need to go up on your jet size a few steps. The extra air can cause it to lean out.This will most likely be your problem than the scoop opening being to small.

Last edited by MRMOPAR570; 01/31/11 12:25 PM.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: MRMOPAR622] #917166
01/31/11 01:20 PM
01/31/11 01:20 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

When you seal the scoop if the car does not pick up,the scoop is the problem. Most of the time being the scoop opening is not large enough,also some scoops just will not work on some cars. You may also need to go up on your jet size a few steps. The extra air can cause it to lean out.This will most likely be your problem than the scoop opening being to small.

No factory type scoops work for ram air. The opening has to be in the boundry layer which is a few inches higher than the factory scoop opening. As the car moves forward the front of the vehicle diverts air up and over the scoop and very little into it.

Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: BobR] #917167
01/31/11 01:45 PM
01/31/11 01:45 PM
Witness Protection Program
Kudakidd Offline
master
Kudakidd  Offline
master

Witness Protection Program
The set-up below made NO difference at all on my Duster w/ the 68 style SS scoop.

Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: BobR] #917168
01/31/11 01:48 PM
01/31/11 01:48 PM
Minnesota
Barnstorm Offline
mopar
Barnstorm  Offline
mopar

Minnesota
Frito is right...not many if any SS/AH are sealed. Simple test..tape several stips of yarn in front of your scoop and have someone observe or camcorder the way it behaves at speed.

The little old lady from Pasadena is back!
Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: Barnstorm] #917169
01/31/11 09:14 PM
01/31/11 09:14 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
I am having a hard time getting my head wrapped around all this info.
Some say the stock scoops will not let enough air into the carb,,,?
My question to this is,,,why do all the Super Stock cars run them?
I realize they are correct for the car. If they don't allow enough air in,,how do they run so good? Record holding cars are the opitome of research and development. If the factory hood scoops don't work,,what are they doing to make them work? They can't be raising them up to get into the 'good air'..."straight line between roof and leading hood edge"... If the factory scoops aren't doing any good,,why don't all the people run the cowl hoods that all the Mopar people hate? I don't really care about what is 'correct' or 'legal', I am just trying to get some cooler, fresh air into my carb. I am not trying to be a wise act,,just trying to figure out some things. I will be doing some more testing when the weather gets better and hope to get this hood/scoop thing figured out so it will work like it should. As for the SS/HA cars having sealed scoops, they would probably lift the hood off or rip the scoop off if they were sealed!!
I still can't imagine how they are NOT having air problems with all the air going over/around the carbs,,,UNLESS,,like others have said..there isn't enough air going into the scoop...? Maybe they are losing some ET..??..I doubt this very much!

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: CHAPPER] #917170
01/31/11 11:02 PM
01/31/11 11:02 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

I realize they are correct for the car. If they don't allow enough air in,,how do they run so good? Record holding cars are the opitome of research and development. If the factory hood scoops don't work,,what are they doing to make them work? They can't be raising them up to get into the 'good air'..."straight line between roof and leading hood edge"... If the factory scoops aren't doing any good,,why don't all the people run the cowl hoods that all the Mopar people hate? I don't really care about what is 'correct' or 'legal', I am just trying to get some cooler, fresh air into my carb. I am not trying to be a wise act,,just trying to figure out some things. I will be doing some more testing when the weather gets better and hope to get this hood/scoop thing figured out so it will work like it should. As for the SS/HA cars having sealed scoops, they would probably lift the hood off or rip the scoop off if they were sealed!!
I still can't imagine how they are NOT having air problems with all the air going over/around the carbs,,,UNLESS,,like others have said..there isn't enough air going into the scoop...? Maybe they are losing some ET..??..I doubt this very much!

For testing... take some cardboard and tape it to
the current scoop but make the front longer so its
closer to the front of the hood... tape it to the
hood to simulate a sealed scoop then run it(come
warmer weather)... I dont know what the SS guys are
doing... I've never looked but maybe they dont seal
it... or they pull in air via tubes

Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: MR_P_BODY] #917171
01/31/11 11:09 PM
01/31/11 11:09 PM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
I picked up close to 2 tenths with the Arrow...

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: Eric] #917172
01/31/11 11:28 PM
01/31/11 11:28 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

I picked up close to 2 tenths with the Arrow...

I picked up also Eric... but our scoops are up in
the air flow

Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: MR_P_BODY] #917173
02/01/11 12:28 AM
02/01/11 12:28 AM
Creston, Iowa
340man4ever Offline
enthusiast
340man4ever  Offline
enthusiast

Creston, Iowa
As to SS/AH running them- they can't per rules, otherwise they would run them

Pro Stock experiments with these setups almost weekly (i.e. scoop design, shape etc). What's that tell ya?

My reading of the Mopar Bible hints that in general terms a properly functioning sealed scoop set up should result in 1 to 1.5mph gain in the 1/4 mile (your results may vary)

Last edited by 340man4ever; 02/01/11 12:44 AM.

Curator at Adams County Speed Shop
Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: CHAPPER] #917174
02/01/11 12:40 AM
02/01/11 12:40 AM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Who said they don't allow enough air into the carb? There is no ram effect but that's much different than what you just said. That's why the SS/H cars don't seal them. Some scoop designs cause turbulence around the carb and screw the fuel signal up. Some of the stuff out of the factory was for show and a little for cool air.

Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: BobR] #917175
02/01/11 02:07 AM
02/01/11 02:07 AM
north west, IN
L
larry890 Offline
enthusiast
larry890  Offline
enthusiast
L

north west, IN
I have a six pack scoop on my gtx, it is a little taller than stock. it has a pan, if i take it off it runs .10 slower no matter the temp.

Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: larry890] #917176
02/01/11 07:38 AM
02/01/11 07:38 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
It very well may be the added height thats helping you,
I would like to do a study on different scoops to
see what effect each has.... I'll start another post

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 02/01/11 08:51 AM.
Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: 340man4ever] #917177
02/01/11 08:11 AM
02/01/11 08:11 AM
KYbywayof WV
F
Frito Offline
top fuel
Frito  Offline
top fuel
F

KYbywayof WV
Quote:

As to SS/AH running them- they can't per rules, otherwise they would run them

Pro Stock experiments with these setups almost weekly (i.e. scoop design, shape etc). What's that tell ya?

My reading of the Mopar Bible hints that in general terms a properly functioning sealed scoop set up should result in 1 to 1.5mph gain in the 1/4 mile (your results may vary)

I am fairly familiar with the SS/AH rules, I must have missed this part!!!

Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: Frito] #917178
02/01/11 09:54 AM
02/01/11 09:54 AM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
I'm out of bed now,,,let's start again....

Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: BobR] #917179
02/01/11 10:17 AM
02/01/11 10:17 AM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Who said they don't allow enough air into the carb? There is no ram effect but that's much different than what you just said. That's why the SS/H cars don't seal them. Some scoop designs cause turbulence around the carb and screw the fuel signal up. Some of the stuff out of the factory was for show and a little for cool air.

I believe you said in your previous post ...air is diverted up/over the scoop with very little air going in...I took 'very little' to mean inadequate. Maybe you were meaning not enough for a ram effect. I am not necessarily looking for 'ram' effect, just cooler air than is under the hood and not have the entering air cause problems with the carb. I am positive that the air is disturbing the fuel signal, just trying to figure out what it is actually doing to it.

Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: CHAPPER] #917180
02/01/11 10:59 AM
02/01/11 10:59 AM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Looking a the picture in Frito's post it looks as if the base of the carbs. might be above the hood level. That may be the reason,or there is just not enough space when they are sealed to the hood. If I were you I would not go with the factory style hood scoops. They look the best on the cars,but they may not be the best. I put a cowl hood on my 67 R/T and pick up another .05-.06 over the factory Hemi style scoop that picked up about .06 in the 1/8. In all I picked up a little over a .10 with the proper hood scoop in the 1/8 mile.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: larry890] #917181
02/01/11 11:23 AM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

I have a six pack scoop on my gtx, it is a little taller than stock. it has a pan, if i take it off it runs .10 slower no matter the temp.

If it isn't in the boundry layer there is no positive pressure at the carb.

Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: CHAPPER] #917182
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I believe you said in your previous post ...air is diverted up/over the scoop with very little air going in...I took 'very little' to mean inadequate. Maybe you were meaning not enough for a ram effect. I am not necessarily looking for 'ram' effect, just cooler air than is under the hood and not have the entering air cause problems with the carb. I am positive that the air is disturbing the fuel signal, just trying to figure out what it is actually doing to it.

Getting cooler outside air in verses under hood air is always a winner. That part is a no brainer. If in doing so you are creating so much turbulance that it has a negative effect on performance and or you have to run a filter to fix it, that is another issue that you need to address. You shouldn't be sacrificing cool air ( or restricting flow )to fix a turbulance problem. Your scoop opening needs to be OUT of the boundery layer, not in it. Rear facing scoops usually solve that problem. They also afford a longer run ( usually ) between the scoop opening and the carb. This also will help smooth out the air as it enters the carb. Other issues that can creat problems are big cammed engines with lots of reversion going on and the carbs being too close to the top of the scoop. The more space you have between the top of the scoop and the carb opening the less turbulance you will have. Above all, get outside air in. I am not necessarily an advocate of year facing scoops ( although I run one ), but they can solve a lot of turbulance problems, without having to put the scoop opening way high to get away from turbulant air. I would also say that if my car ran fast enough ( and it don't ) to gain anything from pressure ( above 14.7 ) I would run a front facing scoop.

6450237-Picture013.jpg (171 downloads)

Fastest 300
Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: CHAPPER] #917183
02/01/11 11:27 AM
02/01/11 11:27 AM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gravity will feed the carb assuming adequate open frontal area which I assume you have. There will be no greater than gravity pressurization, however, unless the scoop opening is in the boundry layer and even then an improperly designed boundry layer scoop will cause more drag that will not be compensated for by any additional power.

Re: Sealed Hood to Air Pan [Re: Crizila] #917184
02/01/11 11:36 AM
02/01/11 11:36 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI

Getting cooler outside air in verses under hood air is always a winner. That part is a no brainer. If in doing so you are creating so much turbulance that it has a negative effect on performance and or you have to run a filter to fix it, that is another issue that you need to address. You shouldn't be sacrificing cool air ( or restricting flow )to fix a turbulance problem. Your scoop opening needs to be OUT of the boundery layer, not in it. Rear facing scoops usually solve that problem. They also afford a longer run ( usually ) between the scoop opening and the carb. This also will help smooth out the air as it enters the carb. Other issues that can creat problems are big cammed engines with lots of reversion going on and the carbs being too close to the top of the scoop. The more space you have between the top of the scoop and the carb opening the less turbulance you will have. Above all, get outside air in. I am not necessarily an advocate of year facing scoops ( although I run one ), but they can solve a lot of turbulance problems, without having to put the scoop opening way high to get away from turbulant air. I would also say that if my car ran fast enough ( and it don't ) to gain anything from pressure ( above 14.7 ) I would run a front facing scoop.

Also you dont need to run a tall scoop... if you
put the opening at the front of the hood you will
be in a pressure zone when traveling forward...
its that string thing(string from the front of the
hood to the roof line... any point above that string
is basically the positive pressure area... so the
farther forward you go the lower it can be

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4