01/26/11 04:49 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

When a fellow racer whom I have raced with for years tells me that Pinky just handed him his cert sticker it is more than just he said she said, and he wasn't the only one. Don't tell me about Pinky, he grew up 20 miles from my home and a close friend of mine lived beside him and ran with him, so lets not go their. Actually this should not be about Pinky, but about NHRA- if you want to kiss their a// thats up to you! I consider them NHRA in the same class as the EPA, try to reason with those people!! Well its like trying to reason with NHRA. Feel better now HEMI JOE

Not saying this is fact or not BUT if he certed a
guys chassis the last time(or even everytime) he
MAY have handed him the cert tag... if he knew the
car and owner and that the car hadnt been in a crash

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: mopacltd] #909679
01/26/11 05:36 PM
01/26/11 05:36 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Did you know when you wreck, the NHRA tech guy cut's off all the tags off of every single peice of safety equipment so it all has to be sent back or replaced? Everything.
This is not a true statement for the wreck I had. I put my car on the roof (1/10/01) not one safty tag, including the chassis cert was removed. NOT ONE, even though the repair bill on the car was over $9,000.

You were VERY LUCKY. The two wrecks we had the chassis cert was gone before the car was removed from the track.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Monte_Smith] #909680
01/27/11 12:12 AM
01/27/11 12:12 AM
NW Pa.
KD800X Offline
super stock
KD800X  Offline
super stock

NW Pa.
Quote:

So you are upset, because your cage you bought from Jegs, would not pass the written spec. And that is somehow NHRAs fault and not Jegs................wow. Tubing is always measured in the bend, because, yes it stretches....but....if jegs had used something other than the cheapest crap they could get, it may have passed. The spec is .120 wall mild steel and can be no thinner, ANYWHERE. That is why most kits, made with cheaper ERW tubing are actually made from .134 wall. To make sure they pass the spec. The fact that it passed before, only means that inspector did not happen to measure it in a thin spot.

Monte

I use to work at Jegs, we sold hundreds of cages. I don't ever remember one of their roll cages getting bounced because of being too thin. Pinky use to come into Jegs all the time... I wonder it it was to tell Roger Burkett that his cages were junk. I doubt it.
And yes Jegs cages are .134 wall so I don't know how it could be pass one year and thin the next.
I know racers who liked Pinky and I know racers who couldn't stand him. I can tell you I've know a lot of racers up in NE Ohio and some in Michigan that have had problems with him. I guess he just didn’t like us up here.

The biggest problem with NHRA's Safety rules is there is no consistency. They’ll bounce you for belts being a month out of date, but when is the last time a Tech official check your tires when you pulled into the track? (Everyone on here knows someone who has raced with cords showing on 5 year old tires) When was the last time a tech official looked at your helmets condition (NOT JUST THE STICKER)?
The bottom line is they can give a crap less about the class racer. It's a fact all they care about is Nitro. They've always been that way and always will be. And the more they jack with these stupid rules like the trans dip sticks just drives more and more people away. At least you have a choice…. IHRA wants the class racer.

Back to the NHRA so called Car Club. I called this out over 15 years ago. How can they call them selves non-profit when they bring in millions of dollars in gate fees, entry fees, food, and souvenirs...Yet pay out no prize money.
I would hate to see them go out of business, but they've been living on barrowed time.

HEY... Since NHRA is Non Profit, does that mean that you can write off your entry fees as a donation on your taxes? Maybe we should call the IRS and ask them.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: KD800X] #909681
01/27/11 12:33 AM
01/27/11 12:33 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

KD800 wrote:
"HEY... Since NHRA is Non Profit, does that mean that you can write off your entry fees as a donation on your taxes? Maybe we should call the IRS and ask them."

Do you think Jeggie wrote off his entry fees?

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: ] #909682
01/27/11 12:55 AM
01/27/11 12:55 AM
NW Pa.
KD800X Offline
super stock
KD800X  Offline
super stock

NW Pa.
Quote:

KD800 wrote:
"HEY... Since NHRA is Non Profit, does that mean that you can write off your entry fees as a donation on your taxes? Maybe we should call the IRS and ask them."

LOL... I'm sure he did, but was it filed under donation or advertisement?

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: KD800X] #909683
01/27/11 01:06 AM
01/27/11 01:06 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well I got back some responses on how the ANDRA handles the seatbelt issue.

The ANDRA stands for the Australian National Drag Race Association.

The first racer said if you are a Class 1 racer, had a trap speed of over 200mph, the belts couldn't be over three years old.

The other racer said that his were seven years old when he tested them and they didn't fail.

We are getting ripped off.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: KD800X] #909684
01/27/11 01:08 AM
01/27/11 01:08 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

KD800 wrote:

Too bad you guys don't even know what "wrote off" means.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Challenger 1] #909685
01/27/11 01:32 AM
01/27/11 01:32 AM
NW Pa.
KD800X Offline
super stock
KD800X  Offline
super stock

NW Pa.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

KD800 wrote:

I didn't know we all need to be tax lawyers also.
I was joking! So lighten up Frances...

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: KD800X] #909686
01/27/11 02:01 AM
01/27/11 02:01 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
DON'T need to be a tax-attorney to WRITE OFF biz expenses .....

Anything ....and I mean ANY THING that in any way can be spun-into a biz-expense is a WRITE OFF.

If Juggie got a "real personal" lap-dance at a strip-bar ... I will BET he wrote that off toooo ..

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Challenger 1] #909687
01/27/11 02:07 AM
01/27/11 02:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

KD800 wrote:

I feel stupid. I did it for seventeen years and now your telling me I didn't know what I did.

Last edited by eh100; 01/27/11 03:17 AM.
Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Hemi Joe 4911] #909688
01/27/11 08:31 AM
01/27/11 08:31 AM
Worst Weather USA
493_DART Offline
master
493_DART  Offline
master

Worst Weather USA
Quote:

I believe Monte and Chapper feel that we are only commenting about NHRA because of the blood in the water as they wish to call it, actually this subject about NHRA is long over due, you certainly can't express your opinions at the NHRA track or in the Dragster. As we all know NHRA runs this program with a Chicago Style Political Attitude, and they are always right! I have been aroung drag racing since the late 50's and early 60's I will admitt, I don't know it all, but I do know a lot. I'am not of the thinking that NHRA should go out of business, however they must get back to reality, and if they owe taxes then they should pay them, my opinion they should have been paying them for years, and the President of NHRA should not be making more $$ than the President of The United States! As for safety they are out of control, especialy on the seat belt issue, give us 4 years instead of the two years, but let the tech people check them for tears, dry rot ect. If the military only changes fight jets every 5 years, you can't convince me that this is not a money grab. Monte and Chapper called my comment on payoffs a conspiracy theory, its like Jesse says FOLLOW THE MONEY! I'am not stupid, I am a retired salesman after 45 years, I know how the system works, as an example, I called on GM-Ford_and Chrysler in Detroit. Never did GM, or Chrysler purchasing agents want a kick-back, however we were at Ford Motor Company going over a quote on $100,000.00 hydraulic press for their Brookpark, Ohio plant when their purchasing agent interupted the pruposal to let us know his TV wasn't working well and then he gave us his business card with his HOME ADDRESS on it so we could ship his a new TV. We did not do it and when I called him the following week to check on our quote he told me it went into the waste can! As another example I had a friend here in Ohio whose son was up on charges of stealing newspaper boxes, the DA came to their home the night before the trial and said if my friend would give him $10,000 in cash the case would go away and it would be over, my friend could not do it and his son went away for 2 years, so if you don't believe this stuff does not go on, then you have inhaled too many nitro fumes. Back to NHRA selective safety issues. Remember I believe it was last year when they interviewed Warren Johnson about the track being unsafe, and he said that they only care about Top Fuel and Funny Car, and when the Pro Stock Drivers said they would not race because the track was unsafe and in CHICAGO STYLE form Graham Light told them that two cars had altready gone down and if the rest of the guys would not go down then the class had its winner and runner-up and they call this safety. I use to be the guy who would break all the speeding laws so I could get home from racing so that I could watch an NHRA event on tv, but after the John Force/Robert Height deal last year it turned my stomach, it was best said by another Moparts Member awhile back, a 20 year John Force Fan lost in 5 seconds, even Mike Dunn was amazed at that deal, and I am so tired of watching one lane race tracks, and they wonder why the stands are only two-thirds full. I don't want NHRA to go away but I do want them to improve and for them constantly raising prices this sucks, I have been an NHRA member for ages, I would give it up tomorrow, however they have you by the short hairs, because to race at an NHRA track where you need a license, you must be a member, once again Chicago Style. As for the comment about Norwalk leaving IHRA to join NHRA, it was a business decision I would believe with better press coverage and exposure, it has always been a great facility, we race their and I really can't see the difference, great traction, great race surface, great people,great restrooms,the Bader Family are are the same Class Act as they were when it was IHRA and the ice cream is dam good. I would hope NHRA would feel most of our comments were constructive critism, my personal belief is, it won't faze them at all because they are ALWAYS RIGHT - REMEMBER CHICAGO STYLE. For their sake they should tell the TV cameras not to scan the stands so people at home won't see how empty they are, the same as NASCAR. I feel better now!

FOR THE LOVE OF SCIENCE------- PARAGRAPHS ARE YOUR FRIEND .

PLEASE START OVER SO WE CAN READ THE POST.

Re: The NHRA Needs New Management [Re: 493_DART] #909689
01/28/11 10:03 PM
01/28/11 10:03 PM
SW Ohio
C
cgall Offline
top fuel
cgall  Offline
top fuel
C

SW Ohio
Great post from another site, sums up my feelings exactly:

There's an old saying that "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely". In my opinion the lack of accountability that management and the board have had for years plays in to that old saying. Management and the board are the same people and are not accountable to anyone. They do what they please, they pay themselves what they please with no concern with how it affects all of us. Most 501-C6 tax exempt organizations are accountable to their members. In fact according to IRS rules they must be membership based organizations with a high degree of membership involvement.

Look at the NFL, the members are the owners of the teams, the owners pick a board and hire the CEO, who is accountable to the team owners. SEMA is another good example of a 501-C6 organization. The members vote on board members who in turn hire a person to run the organization. The management is accountable to the board and the board is accountable to the members. The lack of accountability is what's led to the shape NHRA finds themselves in right now.

I think the NHRA is way beyond needing an overhaul of the management.

Re: The NHRA Needs New Management [Re: cgall] #909690
01/28/11 10:18 PM
01/28/11 10:18 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

Great post from another site, sums up my feelings exactly:

There's an old saying that "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely". In my opinion the lack of accountability that management and the board have had for years plays in to that old saying. Management and the board are the same people and are not accountable to anyone. They do what they please, they pay themselves what they please with no concern with how it affects all of us. Most 501-C6 tax exempt organizations are accountable to their members. In fact according to IRS rules they must be membership based organizations with a high degree of membership involvement.

Look at the NFL, the members are the owners of the teams, the owners pick a board and hire the CEO, who is accountable to the team owners. SEMA is another good example of a 501-C6 organization. The members vote on board members who in turn hire a person to run the organization. The management is accountable to the board and the board is accountable to the members. The lack of accountability is what's led to the shape NHRA finds themselves in right now.

I think the NHRA is way beyond needing an overhaul of the management.

WHERE is Kevin(NDragster) ....when he could use a DOSE of THIS clear-thinking ?

Re: The NHRA Needs New Management [Re: dOc !] #909691
01/28/11 11:22 PM
01/28/11 11:22 PM
yarnell,az
M
mopacltd Offline OP
pro stock
mopacltd  Offline OP
pro stock
M

yarnell,az
Also from another site:
How NHRA got started

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Oldfield
I blame Wally. I don't know if he just didn't know who he was hiring, or if he got greedy as life went on. But, in the end, he was the guy that assembled this pack of corporate clowns.

My guess is that he wanted help from the business side of things because he realized he didn't have the knowledge to be able to take NHRA where he thought it could go. Kudos to him for recognizing that, but shame on him for idly standing by and allowing the clowns to run away with the organization, when he should have owned up to the mistake, stepped in, and fired them.

But, maybe I'm giving Wally too much credit, and maybe he wasn't as intelligent as I thought he was...

Seems like it was working fine until the Modified Producted protest at Indy. The powers of NHRA discovered that the members could decided what happened to NHRA. They set up a vote through a mail in ballot to modify how the voting process could happen.

The results were that they actually took the vote away from the members and put all decisions in the hands of the board of directors, who were at the time. Wally Parks, Dallas Gardner, Dick Wells, and Harvey Palash.

Harvey Palash (Diamond P fame) resigned. Dick Wells and Wally Parks died. Graham LIght and Peter Clifford were added. Gardner handed over NHRA to Tom Compton to run and he was also added to the board. They all work for NHRA except Gardner. From what I understand he retired from running NHRA to just being on the board which does include a small pay check so he can get by.

They have just added two more members to make six current board members.

Re: The NHRA Needs New Management [Re: mopacltd] #909692
01/31/11 08:53 PM
01/31/11 08:53 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Keeping this ALIVE .. just for Kevin ...NDragster.

WHAT should happen HERE ...is what is going-on right-now in Egypt.

B U T ... to give credit where credit is due .... YES ...NHRA has done lots of good for the "sport" of drag racing. But it is NO MORE of an "association" than the man-in-the-moon.

Come on Kevin ..... we need your thoughts.

Re: The NHRA Needs New Management [Re: dOc !] #909693
01/31/11 10:00 PM
01/31/11 10:00 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
I just donate to NHRA,we had 6 chassis certifications done last week nd 4 more to get done

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12