01/20/11 08:45 PM
01/20/11 08:45 PM
Oregon
sg66mopar Offline
pro stock
sg66mopar  Offline
pro stock

Oregon
If IHRA would move in here in the Northwest to run some good tracks I'd say "Right On".

In the mean time, just like a few hundred other racers, I don't want to see NHRA go belly up until there's another game in town.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: sg66mopar] #909479
01/20/11 09:24 PM
01/20/11 09:24 PM
CA
J
JulieJordan Offline
enthusiast
JulieJordan  Offline
enthusiast
J

CA
They aren't being sued. A complaint letter was sent to IRS on behalf of an "anonymous client". IRS can or cannot act upon the complaint. If they did it was be an IRS examination of their exempt status, not a lawsuit.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: JulieJordan] #909480
01/20/11 10:02 PM
01/20/11 10:02 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline
master
Jeepmon  Offline
master

Sunnyvale, CA
Quote:

They aren't being sued. A complaint letter was sent to IRS on behalf of an "anonymous client". IRS can or cannot act upon the complaint. If they did it was be an IRS examination of their exempt status, not a lawsuit.

True.. but being sued sounds better..

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: JulieJordan] #909481
01/20/11 10:17 PM
01/20/11 10:17 PM
Washington
S
SuperStock68Dart Offline
SuperStock68Dart  Offline
S

Washington
Quote:

Thanks for clearing this up Julie! I didn't see anything about a lawsuit either. Hope your dad is doing good, I'll never forget watching him make that 8.68 pass at Mission!

Shawn Blair 6383SS

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Jeepmon] #909482
01/20/11 10:18 PM
01/20/11 10:18 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
One of the network ABC/CBS news programs highlighted the NHRA in an "expose" of bogus non profits a few years back. With the government being broke, you can look for more of this.

Anyone with a brain had to see this coming...I have no clue how NHRA maintains a "non-profit" status. NHRA "Full Throttle" drag racing series is most definitely for profit.

It hasn't morphed into anything.....yet....

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: JulieJordan] #909483
01/20/11 10:26 PM
01/20/11 10:26 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
I have always wondered why SOMETHING wasn't done, said, Congressional action,,SOMETHING, about NHRA's "non-profit orginization" status....I would have thought that the higher beings would have caught up with this YEARS ago..!! The idea they started out with was good. Then, they
saw it was a GOOD THING,,,making mucho money ETC, it got carried away.
I know in the past, around the '70's,, there was some rumors of people trying to get a division director's position that ended up in some people losing their life over the dispute over who would get the job. It has gotten completely out of hand. I know there has to be safety rules and guide lines to follow in order to have safe racing.
I also know, there has to be reasonable consideration of the participants ability to be able to afford to compete. Maybe this all will be a good deal for the other sanctioning bodies. If NHRA isn't "SETTING" all the rules,, they won't have to follow. I hope, and expect, this WILL help the racers. It will get the field back to more level situation between all the other sanctioning bodies and they all will not have to compete on rules. The MAJOR problem,,lies with the manufacturer's 'contingency money' programs. WE all know, the only reason they offer the money is to have the rules change so we have to keep spending money with them so we can race. I hope all goes well for all the racers. I also believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny. Rant over..

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: sg66mopar] #909484
01/20/11 11:01 PM
01/20/11 11:01 PM
La Vernia, Texas
Pat7272 Offline
super stock
Pat7272  Offline
super stock

La Vernia, Texas
Quote:

In the mean time, just like a few hundred other racers, I don't want to see NHRA go belly up until there's another game in town.

I disagree. If the NHRA continues to linger on, its goal will be to change as little as is necessary to comply and act to maintain its status quo. I would agree it will be better for the organization to go belly up and let a new and better one replace it.

It would be cool if a new national drag racing association came to be and took on the NHRA name for nostalgia and history's sake, but thats another matter.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: mopacltd] #909485
01/20/11 11:08 PM
01/20/11 11:08 PM
NE Ohio
H
Hemi Joe 4911 Offline
Hemi Joe 4911  Offline
H

NE Ohio
Saw this years ago either on 60 minutes or 20/20 along with other companies that have been skating around the tax laws. I believe that many of their safety rules are good and other are obviousely a pay off from some manufacturer. I race an nostalgia super stock car approximately seven events a year and when we race at an NHRA track tech always checks the date of your seat belts however, have you ever had them check your tires both front or rear. I understand front tires dry rot easily on the insides due to the heat from the headers, evidently tire manufacturers don't pay off as much, they will have to work on that! Back to the seat belt issue, this should be up to the tech people to determine if the belt is cut or frayed then they must be replaced, I'am tired of every two years of paying over $200.00 dollars to replace like new belts. No one, as of yet checks your personal vehicle that you use daily to see if they must be replaced every two years, and I have been trying to track down the rules set by the FAA on commercial air craft seat belt replacement rules. Due to security issues this has been very difficult to do, however I have learned that they try to replace their belts based on dry cleaning cycles, or if they are visibly tore of freyed, not every two years. I am not real happy that NHRA also raised ticket prices,licensing fees, and only care about TOP FUEL & JOHN FORCE. With those personal incomes, its no wonder that Wally always dressed so nice. Thanks - HEMI JOE

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Hemi Joe 4911] #909486
01/20/11 11:15 PM
01/20/11 11:15 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

I don't see this doing anything for racers anywhere. doubt anything good will come out of it for us. maybe higher fees

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: dennismopar73] #909487
01/20/11 11:26 PM
01/20/11 11:26 PM
Tampa
D
DusterDave Offline
top fuel
DusterDave  Offline
top fuel
D

Tampa
Quote:

well this could be a very very bad deal,
on 3 fronts
1 off they should have been taxable,,
2 look at the rate of pay these guys get
3 this could ultimately end drag racing
as we know it !!

That might end up being a good thing. Maybe a shakeup will ultimately make the sport better.

Gone to the dark side with an LS3 powered '57 Chevy 210
Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: mopacltd] #909488
01/20/11 11:27 PM
01/20/11 11:27 PM
tn
R
robnbird Offline
super stock
robnbird  Offline
super stock
R

tn
I have not been a Nhra member for years. If a nhra member is suing NHRA then I would think it would have to be on a class action suit. This would have to copmensate all members. And bankruptcy laws would be different for a non proffit org.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: robnbird] #909489
01/20/11 11:52 PM
01/20/11 11:52 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Everyone who is wishing for the Feds to crack down on NHRA should be careful what they wish for. They certainly are not perfect, but unless you are happy running at some little outlaw 1/8 mile every week, it is in our best interest for NHRA to remain as lucrative and free of government interference as possible. If you think the circus in Ohio can take up the slack, you are not paying attention.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: CMcAllister] #909490
01/21/11 12:00 AM
01/21/11 12:00 AM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

Everyone who is wishing for the Feds to crack down on NHRA should be careful what they wish for. They certainly are not perfect, but unless you are happy running at some little outlaw 1/8 mile every week, it is in our best interest for NHRA to remain as lucrative and free of government interference as possible. If you think the circus in Ohio can take up the slack, you are not paying attention.

Like them or not, they are still the best game in town. If the IHRA is so cool how come their flagship track and previous owner went NHRA?

AHRA has already been tried and died.

Around here IHRA tracks are getting fewer and farther between.

People wanted Bruton Smith to buy the NHRA. He built Z-Max and forced the NHRA to let him run 4 wide and people whined a fit about it.

No easy answers is there?

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: mopacltd] #909491
01/21/11 01:17 AM
01/21/11 01:17 AM
ohio
6440nssa Offline
6440nssa  Offline

ohio
I hope they get what they deserve,there skin ripped off and thrown in a vat of salt!!!!!!!!!! they{ NHRA}have screwed us long enough.There are and will be other places to race.

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: mopacltd] #909492
01/21/11 01:32 AM
01/21/11 01:32 AM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
1. the IRS has to justify why they aren't investigating the 10,000 known fraudulent not-for-profits, lobbyists, churches donating to terrorists, mayor with $20,000 salaries buying a yacht after 1 year in office, Congressmen with the wives, children, and dogs on the payroll, etc. "No, really, we were very busy - and these guys are EVIL!"
2. they don't need to sue - they have their own Court, and they write the rules. If they lose (how could that happen?) they appeal (meaning: ignore their own Court and drag their feet), if they win they seize anything you own - or that they say you own.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: 6440nssa] #909493
01/21/11 01:54 AM
ill
D
dennismopar73 Offline
top fuel
dennismopar73  Offline
top fuel
D

ill
WOW
with monie comes greed, no doubt.
they have brought some good things ,
belts is just a small thing ,
yeah unreasonable, but,
i really have hard time with big pay
and with the racers not being able to race as much
tracks closing , higher enterance fees
fuel/cost soaring,
they did buy couple tracks kept them from going under
they outdualed the ahra which is basical in the history books now.
the i h r a is now being the upstart racing circle,
due to al-anabi racing /adrl
i think what you may see in the furture is, some type
of merger.
the racing community as a whole cannot
keep both,,not at this current rate of finacial whoos.
drag racing is in a tailspin racer /spectators ,are down
in both ,in most areas,
lot of kids are not getting into as we did
more into ipads, computors/ gaghets
smart phones . not cubic inches
the race track youre on now maynot be there next
year, so to say
'there are better places to race' ..
be carefull what you say,,
you may very well eat those words

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: polyspheric] #909494
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Most of the people that complain about the NHRA, have no legitimate beef, or even know why they are complaining. It is just that "blood in the water" mentality, that makes everyone want to pile on.

This seatbelt rule that you guys get so bent out of shape about, is NOT an NHRA rule. It is a rule set forth by the SFI foundation and NHRA chooses to recognize SFI as the governing body, concerning safety rules. Other orgs, such as the NTPA, IHBA, Nascar and many others also follow SFI guidelines.

Then, the contingency comments are just laughable. Unless you work for a company, that actually pays contingency, or have worked with a race org, then I can just about guarantee, that you have no clue how it works............but the comments like "the contingency sponsors pay off the NHRA, so that rules are changed and we have to continue to buy their products to race"......what?????? Somebody watches too many episodes of "Conspiracy Theory".

Whether you hate NHRA or not, to claim that the sport would be better off without them and hope for their demise, is VERY shortsighted...to put it mildly.

Monte

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: Monte_Smith] #909495
01/21/11 02:37 AM
01/21/11 02:37 AM
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
N
NDragster Offline
NDragster  Offline
N

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Wow. Monte the voice of reason. I think you have summed up my feelings nicely. Thanks for the comments.

Personally, I'd like for some of the malcontents here (and on other forums) to see how NHRA and ND operate on a day to day basis. Having been here longer than I care to admit I tend to think that if you had a chance to walk the halls of Glendora, you'd see that the overwelming majority of my co-workers (including upper management) care a lot more about the sport and it's participants than you might think.

To put it mildly, there are a lot of challenges these days in running any successful business and I like to think NHRA has weathered the storm better than most. (For example, if your a fan of Superbike racing, as I am, you probably understand where I'm coming from as that sport has just about evaporated on this continent).

For the record, I don't agree with some of the decisions that are made but in most cases, I can at least acknowledge the reasoning behind them.

I try not to engage in many of the political debates here and I usually regret it afterwards but I simply thought many of you might benefit from an insiders point of view.

Kevin McKenna
National Dragster

Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: NDragster] #909496
01/21/11 02:54 AM
01/21/11 02:54 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
I dont really see how any of this could be good for anyone who truly loves drag racing. i just dont get the mentality of some folks.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: The NHRA is getting sued [Re: NDragster] #909497
01/21/11 03:01 AM
01/21/11 03:01 AM
Salisbury North Carolina
8secDart Offline
pro stock
8secDart  Offline
pro stock

Salisbury North Carolina
Monte when's the last time you ran a NHRA race.

$300 sportsman fee
plus the insurance fees.
NHRA member fee.
If you oil the track down $250 fine
The list goes on and on.
NHRA is far from putting the little guy first.
I have run both Super Street and in Super Stock.
It was the worst racing for me ever.

So yes I will take my little outlaw tracks and IHRA.They tell me Thank you and love having you here.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12