01/20/11 04:31 PM
01/20/11 04:31 PM
Simi Valley, CA
MoparJ Offline OP
super stock
MoparJ  Offline OP
super stock

Simi Valley, CA
I still have the original charcoal canister on my 73 Duster, with the one hose coming up from the tank still attached to it. Id like to remove it, to clean up the engine compartment (no smog needed). Can I cap the line coming up for the tank, or should it still be left open for venting?

I am also thinking of running a fuel vapor return line, by purchasing a filter with a return orface and running a line back to the tank. Can I run the return line into the existing tubing coming up from the tank to the charcoal canister? What else would need to be done?

2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab: 5.7, 65RFE, 4.56 gears with locker, Hemifever tuned, AFE intake, 87mm throttle body, JBA headers, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, split to dual 2.5" exits. 13.57 best ET so far.

Searching for new A or B Body Project!
Re: Vapor Return/Charcoal Canister removal [Re: MoparJ] #909453
01/20/11 04:37 PM
01/20/11 04:37 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
I don't know what kind of setup the A-bodies use but my Challenger has a vapor separator right infront of the gas tank. There are four vent lines coming out of the tank that go into the separator...then one line from the separator to the canister. You can remove the canister, but you still need to have a tank vent.

If you run a different vent line up higher then the gas tank, you could use your existing vent line as a return if it's a large enough diameter.

Last edited by burdar; 01/20/11 04:39 PM.
Re: Vapor Return/Charcoal Canister removal [Re: MoparJ] #909454
01/20/11 04:59 PM
01/20/11 04:59 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

I still have the original charcoal canister on my 73 Duster, with the one hose coming up from the tank still attached to it. Id like to remove it, to clean up the engine compartment (no smog needed). Can I cap the line coming up for the tank, or should it still be left open for venting?

I am also thinking of running a fuel vapor return line, by purchasing a filter with a return orface and running a line back to the tank. Can I run the return line into the existing tubing coming up from the tank to the charcoal canister? What else would need to be done?

Use the vapor line that goes to the charcoal canister for your return line. I have done it and it works great on my 74 and hope everyone knows by now I have driven that car all over the US in some of the hottest conditions in the US. Do it, it works. I use a stock fuel pump with a stock hemi/440-6 vapor separator that bolts to the fuel pump and it has a return. Killer setup that works.

If you don't use the line as a return, then I would vent it into the valve cover breather, don't cap it. Don't change anything in the rear.

Re: Vapor Return/Charcoal Canister removal [Re: Challenger 1] #909455
01/20/11 05:57 PM
01/20/11 05:57 PM
Montana
Y
Yancy Derringer Offline
mopar
Yancy Derringer  Offline
mopar
Y

Montana
Whatever you do MAKE SURE you end up with an open atmospheric vent. If you use the tank--to--canister line for vapor return, that just might disable your vent and you'll end up pressurizing the tank.

Re: Vapor Return/Charcoal Canister removal [Re: Challenger 1] #909456
01/20/11 05:59 PM
01/20/11 05:59 PM
Simi Valley, CA
MoparJ Offline OP
super stock
MoparJ  Offline OP
super stock

Simi Valley, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Use the vapor line that goes to the charcoal canister for your return line. I have done it and it works great on my 74 and hope everyone knows by now I have driven that car all over the US in some of the hottest conditions in the US. Do it, it works. I use a stock fuel pump with a stock hemi/440-6 vapor separator that bolts to the fuel pump and it has a return. Killer setup that works.

If you don't use the line as a return, then I would vent it into the valve cover breather, don't cap it. Don't change anything in the rear.

74 A body or E body? I am not sure if my Duster has a vapor separator near the tank. I dont believe there is.

2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab: 5.7, 65RFE, 4.56 gears with locker, Hemifever tuned, AFE intake, 87mm throttle body, JBA headers, 3" Flowmaster exhaust, split to dual 2.5" exits. 13.57 best ET so far.

Searching for new A or B Body Project!
Re: Vapor Return/Charcoal Canister removal [Re: Yancy Derringer] #909457
01/21/11 06:37 AM
01/21/11 06:37 AM
Lake Elmo, MN
Evil Monkey Offline
enthusiast
Evil Monkey  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Elmo, MN
Quote:

Whatever you do MAKE SURE you end up with an open atmospheric vent. If you use the tank--to--canister line for vapor return, that just might disable your vent and you'll end up pressurizing the tank.

I removed the charcoal canister on my 74 Cuda after I got it in the mid '90s, and made the mistake of plugging the line, without creating a vent for the tank. After a fill-up, the car ran fine for about the first half of the tank, then I would start getting vapor lock. When I took the gas cap off, there would be a big woooosh as the air rushed back into the tank, and I could actually hear the gas tank flexing as the vacuum in the tank was released. This was all caused from the gas being pulled out of the tank, and not having a way for air to replace the gas, creating a vacuum in the tank. As soon as I realized what was happening, I got a vented gas cap and, no more problems.

Using the tank-to-canister line as a return line will probably create the same situation as plugging the line - you will still have a closed system with no way for air to fill back in when gas is pulled out of the tank. I don't think it will pressurize the tank, as you are still removing gas from it (even though you are returning some of the gas, you still have a net loss of gas), but maybe the return of vapor could pressurize it until the vapor turns back to liquid. Either way, you should add a vent for the tank, or get a vented gas cap.

1974 'Cuda 360/TKO 1990 Ram Van 1998 Neon