D
DennisH Offline
Vacation
DennisH  Offline
Vacation
D

San Jose, California
Quote:

If "some" of you guys would quit trying ti fix things that aren't broke,you wouldn't have so many problems.When they rolled off the asembly line they worked well with the original components.Now everyone has to have aluminun radiators,electric fans,high flow thermostats, aftermarker water pumps and housings.WHY?

Good question.

Re: how hot is too hot of an operating temp? [Re: 62maxwgn] #894216
01/11/11 05:04 PM
01/11/11 05:04 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

If "some" of you guys would quit trying to fix things that aren't broke,you wouldn't have so many problems.When they rolled off the assembly line they worked well with the original components.Now everyone has to have aluminun radiators,electric fans,high flow thermostats, aftermarket water pumps and housings.WHY?

Uh, they didn't come with bored out blocks, higher CR, etc either. Gas was better and so on. No EFI or electric fuel pump, only a few had return lines and those that did didn't run all the way to the carb. Running one on the hot side causes issues. Do what you want.

Re: how hot is too hot of an operating temp? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #894217
01/11/11 05:21 PM
01/11/11 05:21 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

Quote:

If "some" of you guys would quit trying to fix things that aren't broke,you wouldn't have so many problems.When they rolled off the assembly line they worked well with the original components.Now everyone has to have aluminun radiators,electric fans,high flow thermostats, aftermarket water pumps and housings.WHY?

Uh, they didn't come with bored out blocks, higher CR, etc either. Gas was better and so on. No EFI or electric fuel pump, only a few had return lines and those that did didn't run all the way to the carb. Running one on the hot side causes issues. Do what you want.

Well, this one is .030 over,10.6cr,factory 3 core 22" radiator,fixed fan,factory shroud,factory 6 blade A/C water pump,added factory A/C and it doesn't run above 195*.

6411327-P7070006.JPG (83 downloads)
Re: how hot is too hot of an operating temp? [Re: 62maxwgn] #894218
01/11/11 05:28 PM
01/11/11 05:28 PM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dIc dOc Deity !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

....BECAUSE alum rads are NOT AS GOOD as a brass/copper one ... from what I Have been told.

Re: how hot is too hot of an operating temp? [Re: 62maxwgn] #894219
01/11/11 05:46 PM
01/11/11 05:46 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, this one is .030 over,10.6cr,factory 3 core 22" radiator,fixed fan,factory shroud,factory 6 blade A/C water pump,added factory A/C and it doesn't run above 195*.

Good for you. Not every combo works the same. Not everybody wants a cast iron WP or housing. Not everybody wants an engine driven fan.

My car runs 190-200, even when idling for a long time, has no shroud either. I have aftermarket aluminum pump and housing. Works for me.

The biggest difference I have seen is switching to a bigger radiator, even leaving the opening untouched. Capacity always helps from my experience.

Re: how hot is too hot of an operating temp? [Re: SomeCarGuy] #894220
01/11/11 07:32 PM
01/11/11 07:32 PM
Central TX
roe Offline OP
master
roe  Offline OP
master

Central TX
wow, I had no idea there was such a dispute on operating temp. I only asked because myfactory guage was inoperative and all i had was an aftermarket guage and wanted to know where the temp reading was putting me in relation to tue stock guage.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: how hot is too hot of an operating temp? [Re: 62maxwgn] #894221
01/18/11 06:15 PM
01/18/11 06:15 PM
N.Wilkesboro,NC
D
DusterKrazy Offline
master
DusterKrazy  Offline
master
D

N.Wilkesboro,NC
Quote:

I bet you still like points ignition to???

Re: how hot is too hot of an operating temp? [Re: DusterKrazy] #894222
01/18/11 06:47 PM
01/18/11 06:47 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
Quote:

Quote:

why yes i do...whats wrong with points?

ok I am a pertronix kinda guy also so i dont run points very long in them,just till i get a conversion put in

and if its not puking the rad shop guru said it not over heating,may be running warm due to poor circulation but its not over heating...

you woulld be surprized at what a new rad will do for a 30+ yr old car some times

roe,i think your gauge would be about 1/2+ way at that temp on the mech gauge

Re: how hot is too hot of an operating temp? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #894223
01/19/11 12:00 AM
01/19/11 12:00 AM
N.Wilkesboro,NC
D
DusterKrazy Offline
master
DusterKrazy  Offline
master
D

N.Wilkesboro,NC
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

why yes i do...whats wrong with points?

ok I am a pertronix kinda guy also so i dont run points very long in them,just till i get a conversion put in

and if its not puking the rad shop guru said it not over heating,may be running warm due to poor circulation but its not over heating...

you woulld be surprized at what a new rad will do for a 30+ yr old car some times

roe,i think your gauge would be about 1/2+ way at that temp on the mech gauge

I use points distrubutors to but only the housing

Better fuel economy, quicker starting and longer plug life. I changed my '71 Duster over and I could not believe how much more enjoyable it was.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4