12/26/10 11:55 PM
12/26/10 11:55 PM
Texas
70Runnerdude Offline OP
enthusiast
70Runnerdude  Offline OP
enthusiast

Texas
Was just accused of making fake fender tags and passing them off by Barry Washington and he hung up on me on the phone.
I dont know what I did to get this kind of response and it really bothers me as I consider myself a straight up Guy.
Only thing I ever did was have Galen Govier make me a duplicate tag for my 70 Challenger R/T to match my build sheet with no intention of it ever being passed of as a real tag along with Galen's documentation of the carfrom the build sheet and showing He had made a tag. Also a while back I posted some questions as to how I could have a copy of my original tag made for my roadrunner once I found out it couldnt be done from the posters here on moparts I left it at that. The other day I went to the Hamtrack historical site and I see there is some dealer info on my car at the Hamtrack site and I try to call Him and ask Him about it all I get from is Him telling me off about making fake fender tags and hanging up on me with out me even being able to ask Him a single thing or explain what I wanted to ask Him.
I am totaly confused on this big time ! Anyone else have this kind of experience ?
Dave

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 70Runnerdude] #889085
12/27/10 12:06 AM
12/27/10 12:06 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington

Quote:

Was just accused of making fake fender tags and passing them off by Barry Washington and he hung up on me on the phone.
I dont know what I did to get this kind of response and it really bothers me as I consider myself a straight up Guy.
Only thing I ever did was have Galen Govier make me a duplicate tag for my 70 Challenger R/T to match my build sheet with no intention of it ever being passed of as a real tag along with Galen's documentation of the carfrom the build sheet and showing He had made a tag. Also a while back I posted some questions as to how I could have a copy of my original tag made for my roadrunner once I found out it couldnt be done from the posters here on moparts I left it at that. The other day I went to the Hamtrack historical site and I see there is some dealer info on my car at the Hamtrack site and I try to call Him and ask Him about it all I get from is Him telling me off about making fake fender tags and hanging up on me with out me even being able to ask Him a single thing or explain what I wanted to ask Him.
I am totaly confused on this big time ! Anyone else have this kind of experience ?
Dave

Barry is a straight shooter and a well respected member of this site, I'm sure he'll chime in, there's always two sides to every story.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #889086
12/27/10 12:09 AM
12/27/10 12:09 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #889087
12/27/10 12:12 AM
12/27/10 12:12 AM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
I have Dave set to 'ignore' here & have since this thread;

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post5932116

So, I do not see his posts. Since Scott quoted him here, I can see this one though.

I want no contact with folks making / having fake tags made.

None.

Not ever.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Rhinodart] #889088
12/27/10 12:17 AM
12/27/10 12:17 AM
San Francisco Ca
SCATPK Offline
master
SCATPK  Offline
master

San Francisco Ca
I am a bit surprized to hear the self proclaimed guru would make a tag that did not follow an authentic buildsheet? Personally I feel that tags or buildsheets should never be duplicated no matter what the reason. Let what ever documents someone may have stand on their own merits.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: SCATPK] #889089
12/27/10 12:24 AM
12/27/10 12:24 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Really?

Short term memory?

He pretty much laid it out for you in April....

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #889090
12/27/10 12:35 AM
12/27/10 12:35 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
From your post in April:

Quote:

I have a 70 roadrunner and have lost the fender tag. I can document a whole bunch of the options and paint color. I need to figure out how to put all the codes on the fender tag and in order. Here is a list of the stuff it has or had. it was a 383 automatic console bucket seat hard top with roll up back windows. Has rear trunk light rocker mouldings upper door mouldings white paint white interior door panels and paint on inside door is white headliner is white dash black black and white seats black vinyl top has the axle package with heavy duty brake drums 11 inch on back 10 inch on front 355 sure grip. hood pins non udercoat (no wheel lip mouldings) also has the roadrunner at front of fenders and dust trail going down the side to the side scoops and had a rear tail panel stripe that i thought was red but was painted over and is originaly black rallye dash with tic toc tach 3 speed wiper motor and power steering has front sway bar also also had the performance balckout hood paint is no a/c and 22 inch rad support pedal dress up trim wood grain steering wheel am radio road runner decor group A87 is the code for the dust stripe and tail panel I think.
I am not trying to cheat anyone at all so dont even go there[ b] all I would like to do is put a duplicate fender tag in the place of the lost one and I have pics to documnet all of this I do not intend to sell the car but if I do I will make sure the buyer knows about the fender tag.
Thanks for any help !!!!!
Dave !

Also from your April thread:

Quote:

R11 V8X END

EW1 C16

RM23 N0B

Found no build sheet here are some of the codes that would need to be on the tag any other help would be appreciated.
Thanks ! Dave !

From today:

Quote:

Dave

Looks like you bought a fake Broadcast Sheet as well?

If you are looking for sympathy you won't find much here on Moparts. Buying fake documents is a good way to turn your car into an automotive leper. Nobody will want to touch it or get near it.

Re: Fake fender tags #889091
12/27/10 12:39 AM
12/27/10 12:39 AM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
For anyone missing an original fender tag, please consider this.

If you have one made and guess at what should have been on it, someone will catch it sooner or later.

Is your reputation worth it?

If you bought a car without one, get used to it, it was your choice.

If you just have to have one, consider a custom tag like the one below. People will photograph it at shows & it shows that you want the REAL one by not making something up & trying to fool people.

6379930-rewardtag.JPG (519 downloads)
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #889092
12/27/10 12:53 AM
12/27/10 12:53 AM
Overpriced Housing Central
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Overpriced Housing Central
Quote:

From your post in April:

Quote:

I have a 70 roadrunner and have lost the fender tag. I can document a whole bunch of the options and paint color. I need to figure out how to put all the codes on the fender tag and in order. Here is a list of the stuff it has or had. it was a 383 automatic console bucket seat hard top with roll up back windows. Has rear trunk light rocker mouldings upper door mouldings white paint white interior door panels and paint on inside door is white headliner is white dash black black and white seats black vinyl top has the axle package with heavy duty brake drums 11 inch on back 10 inch on front 355 sure grip. hood pins non udercoat (no wheel lip mouldings) also has the roadrunner at front of fenders and dust trail going down the side to the side scoops and had a rear tail panel stripe that i thought was red but was painted over and is originaly black rallye dash with tic toc tach 3 speed wiper motor and power steering has front sway bar also also had the performance balckout hood paint is no a/c and 22 inch rad support pedal dress up trim wood grain steering wheel am radio road runner decor group A87 is the code for the dust stripe and tail panel I think.
I am not trying to cheat anyone at all so dont even go there[ b] all I would like to do is put a duplicate fender tag in the place of the lost one and I have pics to documnet all of this I do not intend to sell the car but if I do I will make sure the buyer knows about the fender tag.
Thanks for any help !!!!!
Dave !

Also from your April thread:

Quote:

R11 V8X END

EW1 C16

RM23 N0B

Found no build sheet here are some of the codes that would need to be on the tag any other help would be appreciated.
Thanks ! Dave !

From today:

Quote:

Dave

Looks like you bought a fake Broadcast Sheet as well?

If you are looking for sympathy you won't find much here on Moparts. Buying fake documents is a good way to turn your car into an automotive leper. Nobody will want to touch it or get near it.

Since when is an RM23 vin consistent with a Challenger R/T...

Carry on.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: RobX4406] #889093
12/27/10 12:55 AM
12/27/10 12:55 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Yea, sorry about that, missed that there are two different cars being discussed here.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 70Runnerdude] #889094
12/27/10 01:00 AM
12/27/10 01:00 AM
Sonora, CA
68X426 Offline
enthusiast
68X426  Offline
enthusiast

Sonora, CA
Quote:

Anyone else have this kind of experience ? Dave

Experience in faking a tag - or - experience in getting called out by Barry?

No. No.

Last edited by 68X426; 12/27/10 01:02 AM.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language: We are here from the Government and we want to help you. 1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more 1968 Dodge Charger, 318 and not much else 1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383 and loud 1966 Dodge Van, Slant 6 and cool
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 68X426] #889095
12/27/10 01:06 AM
12/27/10 01:06 AM
Lansing, MI
70gtx440dana Offline
master
70gtx440dana  Offline
master

Lansing, MI
Sure hope you are able to get hooked up with the dealer info for your Road Runner....I know I would love to have that info for mine.....good luck!

70 Road Runner 383-4 4 speed FJ5 & black guts
70 Charger R/T 440-4 4 speed FJ5 & white guts
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 70gtx440dana] #889096
12/27/10 01:22 AM
Ramona, CA
NicksGarage Offline
master
NicksGarage  Offline
master

Ramona, CA
They'll just never learn.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: 70Runnerdude] #889097
Orange County, CA
M
Mike H Offline
enthusiast
Mike H  Offline
enthusiast
M

Orange County, CA
Seems I have heard abut Galen offering the service of making replacement fender tags from the build sheets for years. Not sure I see any problem with that.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: Mike H] #889098
12/27/10 01:28 AM
12/27/10 01:28 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

Seems I have heard abut Galen offering the service of making replacement fender tags from the build sheets for years. Not sure I see any problem with that.

So what if Galen unknowingly makes a tag from a fake broadcast sheet that gets past his scrutiny (he's human, it could happen), would you be ok with that? What if you bought a car on the pretense that both were original and then found out later that your documents are fake? Would you be ok with that?

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #889099
12/27/10 02:35 AM
12/27/10 02:35 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Why does anybody need a tag? It helps to know what a car is but once that ORIGINAL info is lost, then it doesn't matter.

Only purpose might be to inflate an option list or otherwise fake a car.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #889100
12/27/10 02:47 AM
12/27/10 02:47 AM
Harlan, Iowa
69CoronetRT Offline
master
69CoronetRT  Offline
master

Harlan, Iowa
Quote:

Quote:

So what if Galen unknowingly makes a tag from a fake broadcast sheet that gets past his scrutiny (he's human, it could happen), would you be ok with that? What if you bought a car on the pretense that both were original and then found out later that your documents are fake? Would you be ok with that?

What if Galen makes a mistake (Yes, even he makes mistakes) and issues a bad/incorrect tag? Would you be ok with that?

Seeking:

1969 St. Louis plant VINs, SPD, and VONs.
Over 2,000 thanks to you!
Re: Fake fender tags [Re: SomeCarGuy] #889101
12/27/10 02:58 AM
12/27/10 02:58 AM
North Pole,New York
F
formula_s Offline
master
formula_s  Offline
master
F

North Pole,New York
Quote:

Why does anybody need a tag? Only purpose might be to inflate an option list or otherwise fake a car.

Well said, One of the most admired collectors here was having a fake tag made a few years back and I called him out on that amoung other things. He's dead now so what difference does it make.

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #889102
12/27/10 03:31 AM
12/27/10 03:31 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
I do not intend to sell the car

Dude, If you have no intention of selling the car, what dose it matter, besides it's a "383" car, do yourself a favor, don't get your panties all bunched up over a little tag with numbers stamped on it, just restore/restify, modify or whatever the car and just drive the thing and enjoy it,....you don't need a tag for that,...tags, numbers, date codes, etc are for those looking for status amongst others of the same thinking, or those concerned with inflating potential resale values,....it's just a machine, not an entity

Re: Fake fender tags [Re: DAYCLONA] #889103
12/27/10 04:34 AM
12/27/10 04:34 AM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Quote:

I do not intend to sell the car

Dude, If you have no intention of selling the car, what dose it matter, besides it's a "383" car, do yourself a favor, don't get your panties all bunched up over a little tag with numbers stamped on it, just restore/restify, modify or whatever the car and just drive the thing and enjoy it,....you don't need a tag for that,...tags, numbers, date codes, etc are for those looking for status amongst others of the same thinking, or those concerned with inflating potential resale values,....it's just a machine, not an entity

The only reason people worry about fender tags is for the investment value of a car.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17