T
TexasStroker Offline OP
mopar addict
TexasStroker  Offline OP
mopar addict
T

Texas
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku

Just curious if anyone is running one of these and what the quality is like etc...

I'm considering getting one for a 2nd exhaust system.

Is there any clearance issues on say a 68-70 B Body?

I know this is a fairly new item; any insight would be appreciated.

Also what is the latest on electronic cutouts...Seems like everytime I check em out there are new gripes on the previous favorite and the old pos cutout is working better etc

Thanks in advance for any help

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars & Lone Star Mopars Amarillo Area Mopars Lone Star Mopars Chryslers in the Canyon: All Mopar Event!
Re: Anyone Running the 3" Pypes "X" with cutouts [Re: TexasStroker] #88447
07/14/08 03:06 PM
07/14/08 03:06 PM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source

San Jose,CA
My friend Alan put them on a 1969 Roadrunner early in the year and said they weren't bad and pretty decent for the price. He had very few probs with em and it's his second set. I'm thinking of ordering a set for my 1972 Satellite later on this year.

Re: Anyone Running the 3" Pypes "X" with cutouts [Re: migsBIG] #88448
07/14/08 03:50 PM
07/14/08 03:50 PM
Texas
T
TexasStroker Offline OP
mopar addict
TexasStroker  Offline OP
mopar addict
T

Texas
Awesome....I'm running a 2 1/2" H-pipe set up and was wondering whether the 3" had clearance issues on Chrysler cars...

Good to hear he had good luck with them and hopefully we will too!

Anyone else running them?

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars & Lone Star Mopars Amarillo Area Mopars Lone Star Mopars Chryslers in the Canyon: All Mopar Event!
Re: Anyone Running the 3" Pypes "X" with cutouts [Re: TexasStroker] #88449
07/14/08 04:10 PM
07/14/08 04:10 PM
Tulsa, OK
73cudaproject Offline
super stock
73cudaproject  Offline
super stock

Tulsa, OK
If you install please post pictures. Looks like a neat kit.

Re: Anyone Running the 3" Pypes "X" with cutouts [Re: 73cudaproject] #88450
07/14/08 04:14 PM
07/14/08 04:14 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Why would you run an X-pipe and cutouts? Seems to me if you're running an X pipe, you are investing the $ into a quality exhaust system, seems kind of a waste of $/effort to install cutouts on a well-done exhaust system. Now if you have a crappy cheapo exhaust system with crummy mufflers, there the cutouts would be worthwhile and actually do something.

Re: Anyone Running the 3" Pypes "X" with cutouts [Re: 73cudaproject] #88451
07/14/08 05:31 PM
07/14/08 05:31 PM
Texas
T
TexasStroker Offline OP
mopar addict
TexasStroker  Offline OP
mopar addict
T

Texas
Quote:

If you install please post pictures. Looks like a neat kit.

Will do, have some other stuff lined up ahead of this, but if I pick the kit up I'll be sure to post pics.

Re: Anyone Running the 3" Pypes "X" with cutouts [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #88452
07/14/08 05:38 PM
07/14/08 05:38 PM
Texas
T
TexasStroker Offline OP
mopar addict
TexasStroker  Offline OP
mopar addict
T

Texas
Quote:

Why would you run an X-pipe and cutouts? Seems to me if you're running an X pipe, you are investing the $ into a quality exhaust system, seems kind of a waste of $/effort to install cutouts on a well-done exhaust system. Now if you have a crappy cheapo exhaust system with crummy mufflers, there the cutouts would be worthwhile and actually do something.

The "x" pipe is great because it scavenges exhaust gases better, thus the increase over h-pipes, and straight pipes.
In my specific case, this set up would allow me to run a more street friendly muffler (ie not as agressive/free flowing as what I usually run) and tails and STILL have the option, at the flip of a switch, to open up and have the free flowing advantage at the track, or for fun on the street.

That is the beauty of it to me. It is actually a decent priced kit considering it is stainless and pre-fabbed. My prior x-pipe was a cut/build to suit. Really just a matter of personal preference, having a nice exhaust system that can be wide open at the flip of a switch is just icing on the cake

Re: Anyone Running the 3" Pypes "X" with cutouts [Re: TexasStroker] #88453
07/14/08 05:51 PM
07/14/08 05:51 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Why bother with the X and the 3" pipes at all then? Why not just put a set of electric cutouts after the headers? You're not going to see any ET difference on the track from having the cutouts after the headers versus after the X anyway IMO. Just seems redundant to me. But I guess if you're looking for something to spend money on...

Re: Anyone Running the 3" Pypes "X" with cutouts [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #88454
07/14/08 06:10 PM
07/14/08 06:10 PM
Texas
T
TexasStroker Offline OP
mopar addict
TexasStroker  Offline OP
mopar addict
T

Texas
Quote:

Why bother with the X and the 3" pipes at all then? Why not just put a set of electric cutouts after the headers? You're not going to see any ET difference on the track from having the cutouts after the headers versus after the X anyway IMO. Just seems redundant to me. But I guess if you're looking for something to spend money on...

The B-body currently has a 2.5" h-pipe and race mufflers...dumped, no tails.
My area (or atleast the quick inspection places, old timer joints are going under every day ) has gotten picky about side exit, or dumps, even if they are after the pass compartment; basically they want tails all the way back. Obviously I don't have that right now. I'd like to keep my current set up as is, just in case I like it better or want to swap out...I am picky about exhaust set-ups and that one has served me well. Thus the new 3" set-up cited above comes in to benefit me with the larger pipe size (for future upgrades), the x to trump the h in flow characteristics, and then the ability to run a cased muffler thru tails, and be able to uncork it at the flip of a switch. Seems to me the cutouts would work where they are positioned on the set-up; it should flow better than going thru the muffler and the cumbersome bends over the 8 3/4".

The cut/build to fit x-pipe I mentioned is on the Duster.

Re: Anyone Running the 3" Pypes "X" with cutouts [Re: TexasStroker] #88455
07/14/08 06:25 PM
07/14/08 06:25 PM
Missouri
B
bb74swngr Offline
mopar addict
bb74swngr  Offline
mopar addict
B

Missouri
Tex, I feel it's a practical application and I plan on doing the same thing to my Swinger. There will be some clearance problems for me but I don't know about the b-bodies.

Russ:)

BigBlock 74 Swinger
Re: Anyone Running the 3" Pypes "X" with cutouts [Re: bb74swngr] #88456
07/14/08 06:52 PM
07/14/08 06:52 PM
Texas
T
TexasStroker Offline OP
mopar addict
TexasStroker  Offline OP
mopar addict
T

Texas
Quote:

Tex, I feel it's a practical application and I plan on doing the same thing to my Swinger. There will be some clearance problems for me but I don't know about the b-bodies.

Russ:)

I thought so too...I'd be doing this to the Duster first, but it's x-pipe is too fresh for me to validate replacing...yet
I'm hoping everything clears...I figured a few folks on here could tell me first hand what to expect clearance wise...Good luck on the Swinger!