07/08/08 12:53 AM
07/08/08 12:53 AM
United States
STLDuster Offline OP
super stock
STLDuster  Offline OP
super stock

United States
I am getting ready to finish up the trunk and slip in the engine and transmission in to my '74 Duster. I am going to be running a mild 440 and want to relocate the battery to the trunk, rather on the axle center line (like the green brick) or back by the passenger side tail light - I dont know yet. My question is what size battery cables are prefered for this sort of application? 2 Gauge? 1 gauge? 1/0 Gauge? How about the terminals on the ends of the cables? Any suggestions or advice?

Does any one have any pictures?

"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." - Aristotle
Re: Questions about relocating the battery to the trunk [Re: STLDuster] #85638
07/08/08 03:02 AM
07/08/08 03:02 AM
Santa Cruz, California
L
Lefty Offline
master
Lefty  Offline
master
L

Santa Cruz, California
I used 1/0 and it starts my 440 no problem. Make sure you use heavy fire wall to engine block ground strap(s) as all the starter ground current is now traveling through the ground strap.

The closer to the centerline of the car you put the battery the quicker the car will change direction (polar moment). I would not put it all the way back by the tailights. I put mine in the front of my spare tire well to mount it low as possible and help keep the center of gravity low.

Quote:

POLAR MOMENT OF INERTIA

Definition: The resistance of an object to rotational acceleration. When the mass of an object is distributed far from its axis of rotation, the object is said to have a high polar moment of inertia. When the mass distribution is close to the axis of rotation, it has a low polar moment of inertia. A mid-engined car has most of its mass within its wheelbase, contributing to a low polar moment of inertia, which, in turn, improves cornering turn-in.

Re: Questions about relocating the battery to the trunk [Re: STLDuster] #85639
07/08/08 05:59 PM
07/08/08 05:59 PM
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Magnum Offline
master
Magnum  Offline
master

Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Quote:

Any suggestions or advice?

Even though I didn't follow my own advice. The MAD kit seems to be the way to go.

They use a Ford starter solenoid to leave the big pos wire dead except during cranking.

69 Super Bee, 93 Mustang LX, 04 Allure Super