07/08/08 07:38 PM
OH-IO
moparman383 Offline OP
super stock
moparman383  Offline OP
super stock

OH-IO
Quote:

On hydraulic lifters that are already pumped up and stock type stamped rockers I've had good luck either using a 3/8 speed handle, or choking way up on a ratchet, and very gradually/very slowly working the bolts down a little at a time. Eventually the shaft will bottom out on the pedastals and when it does, THEN I torque to spec in 2 or 3 increments to make sure I'm not being fooled. If the job is rushed and the bolts individually reefed on, something will get screwed up for sure.

Solids are easier!

Okay - my heads are Edelbrock aluminum and have the ADJUSTABLE rocker arms with hydraulic lifters.

Should I bleed the lifters off because when I'm tightening that is putting pressure on the valves and I'm afriad I'll strip the threads.
Or should I back the adjustments all the way off, bolt the pedastals on and readjust the valves?
I am trying to prevent adjusting the valves because I don't know anything about doing that and don't care to learn at this point - it ran great when apart and don't want to screw with it.

Thanks!

Re: Rocker Arm torque specs? [Re: moparman383] #84972
07/09/08 12:24 PM
07/09/08 12:24 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan

I do it this way.... pull all the adjusters completely out of the rockers.....torque the shaft assemblies to spec on the head...drop the pushrods THROUGH the still-open adjuster holes into the lifter cups....replace as many adjusters as possible, rotate the engine to get the ones that were at max lift in, then re-adjust either lash or preload.

I don't know of a way to do it without re-adjusting.

Re: Rocker Arm torque specs? [Re: ZIPPY] #84973
07/09/08 01:23 PM
07/09/08 01:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

that a great idea. but my rocker arm holes are smaller than the pushrod diameter

Re: Rocker Arm torque specs? [Re: ZIPPY] #84974
07/09/08 04:20 PM
07/09/08 04:20 PM
OH-IO
moparman383 Offline OP
super stock
moparman383  Offline OP
super stock

OH-IO
Quote:

I do it this way.... pull all the adjusters completely out of the rockers.....torque the shaft assemblies to spec on the head...drop the pushrods THROUGH the still-open adjuster holes into the lifter cups....replace as many adjusters as possible, rotate the engine to get the ones that were at max lift in, then re-adjust either lash or preload.

I don't know of a way to do it without re-adjusting.

That is a great idea - we called a Ford friend who gave us some advice on adjusting adjustable rockers on alum. heads so we had planned on re-adjusting at this point...

I'm afraid I might be in the same situatio as cucu, with too large of a pushrod to fit through the holes. We were able to get the shaft tight last night with the rockers attached, now just need to rotate the motor to get them all adjusted properly.

At the time of my post we were thinking of trying to push the oil out of the hyd. lifters but our friend said that was a near-impossibly task without taking more apart.

Thanks everyone!

Re: Rocker Arm torque specs? #84975
07/09/08 04:37 PM
07/09/08 04:37 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Quote:

that a great idea. but my rocker arm holes are smaller than the pushrod diameter

Great point, also it's not going to work with conventional ball/cup pushrods, the cup will get stuck in the adjuster holes regardless of pushrod size.

Works like a charm with 5/16" one piece ball/ball pushrods and Comp 1321 rockers though, and that's my current setup, so that's why I was thinking about it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2