jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Yes it was Mike.
And Mr Dick Fiberglass get a new hobby!!!!!!!

Lighten up, no need to go personal

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: carbon fiber body parts? [Re: 8secDart] #846762
11/12/10 02:27 PM
11/12/10 02:27 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOc !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

And Mr Dick Fiberglass get a new hobby!!!!!!!

My newest HOBBY is to point-out confused people ... like you !!

So which company is it ? .. the one with the real deal(but with the heavy stuff) ... or the one with what you claim-to-be that has the best race stuff ?

Re: carbon fiber body parts? [Re: dOc !] #846763
11/12/10 08:27 PM
11/12/10 08:27 PM
illinois
R
rbkt65 Offline
super stock
rbkt65  Offline
super stock
R

illinois
after the fiberglass plus fiasco,I got on here and almost begged doc/mr fiberglass to get back in-back in the day his stuff was hard to beat-that was back in the day-now I needed fenders for 65 coronet and I bought from aar-quality stuff,I would say as good as doc/mr. fiberglass old stuff.I will buy from them again because the stuff is good enough for me and I am happy with it

Re: carbon fiber body parts? [Re: 8secDart] #846764
11/12/10 10:08 PM
11/12/10 10:08 PM
Up North eh'
Stroked_Hemi Offline
top fuel
Stroked_Hemi  Offline
top fuel

Up North eh'
Quote:

(3) The real deal carbon is out of this world price wize.

I could elaborate more than this babbling, but stick with this above comment.

Take it from a car designer that has designed composite supercars cars, last 2 I worked on were on the cover of Road & Track last year. The only way it is feasible would be if you sold about 50 or more parts to get your money back of the investment.

The cost is not just the material to make the part, it's the cost to make patterns and molds. Very, very expensive (most expensive method is tooling block and carbon fiber molds, needed for high volume and quality parts). I'm guessing, but even just a couple layers of prepreg 400 GSM 2x2 twill, it'll be around $5k just for the material to make the front end without the cost of the mold and patterns. We manufacture composite parts using an autoclave, which is a vacuum, pressure, and heated controlled process that can take between 4 to 8 hours to make a part.

Ther are cheap methods to manufacturing carbon fiber parts, rather than an autoclave, it's called a wet lay-up, using an epoxy resin. This cheap wet lay-up process does not have the same stiffness as parts make in an autoclave. Sort of like laying up fibreglass. The problem with wet lay-ups is that the material doesn't consolidate, it's not cured under pressure like prepreg autoclaved parts, has a crappy finish, lots of porisity, and you still need to make a mold, which can be made out of fibreglass. This cheap process would still probably cost several thousand, and in the end you have heavy wet lay-up carbon parts that doesn't have much of a structural advantage over fibreglass.

I can go on and on regarding this subject... any questions about it, let me know. The company I work at has been doing this for a long time, heck even all the Lemans winning Dodge Viper GTS-R carbon fibre body parts were done by our shop for Oreca, along with Daytona Prototype cars, FIA F1, GT2/3, and all sorts of supercars and race boats, etc...

Cheers,
Mike

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4