07/05/08 09:40 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Help!
Guys, I've been collecting and assemblying parts for my 72 Demon for over three years, and I'm down to just wiring the car to be able to go out make some smoke.
A few car facts: 416 Indy short block, Indy oval port 360 heads,TTI headers, Keisler 5 speed with scattershield (which was a real "female dog" )- when installing with headers and moroso 9 quart pan) narrowed rear axle with split/widened factory tubs, spool mount K completely rebuilt. Anyway, the long and short of it is I was hoping to have a professional electrician wire the car, as I have trouble even spelling "electrical", let alone working on it. I dumped quite a few dollars into the car and didn't forsee running into my current financial situation, (poor economy,very slow at work now), so it wasn't going to be a problem to have it wired.
Anyway, now I'll have to do it myself, but I am kinda scared, and looking for any help.
Also looking for a very detailed wiring diagram that decodes the steering column, light switch, wiper wiring as this was all removed before I bought the car.
Also, as all wiring was removed before I bought this car, and considering I'll be running a Painless kit, how much of the original electrical parts do I need to make this happen? Horn relay? Ballest resistor? fuseable link,startin syllanoid(think I spelled that wrong) and or anything else I'm overlooking.
I know many of you are automotive geniuses, and may be able to help.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Mike S

Re: Painless Wiring Harness #84578
07/06/08 12:12 AM
07/06/08 12:12 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I just put a kit in a 65 F100 truck for friend. It wasnt Painless in either brand or ease. This one was a from American Autowire and was basically a GM kit with a few universal parts. It was sold thru a Ford resto company and when installing I found A.A. does make a Ford kit (but thats a problem with the supplier not the manufacturer).

Painless does make a kit for Mopars which uses Mopar wiring color codes. I fear otherwise it is basically a GM setup. The column/turn sig wiring my be GM style. I found GM uses a different power/ground sequence than Ford-not sure about Mopar as I havn't studied diagrams. There were other GM type things that required rework.

I have a budget kit from the swap meet for my D100 that is probably GM style also but I will make it work.

It sounds as if you have screwed together the rest of the car so you must know something.If you have a friend who is GOOD at elec work you should be able to get most of it done. Just have someone to help out with more complicated stuff like charging or ignition.You will spend quite a bit of time planning and laying things out but then its how YOU want it when done.

The kits I've seen in person and at Painless online have decent diagrams but if you're not geared towards elec theory it can get confusing.The diagrams are avail online for Painless kits,take a look to get an idea of the setups.Either way,if your willing to pay $1000's to have it done than I dont think you can go too wrong attempting to DIY. Worse that happens (barring total loss from elec fire which would require a complete hackjob when YOU install) is you'll be out the cost of the kit before you send it out to a pro.

Good luck, Pete

Re: Painless Wiring Harness #84579
07/06/08 06:26 AM
07/06/08 06:26 AM
places
79powerwagon Offline
Too Many Posts
79powerwagon  Offline
Too Many Posts

places
You're over-complicating it in your mind, causing the stress. How "original" do you want it? If originality isn't important (and it sure isn't to me), get ANY standard hot-rod wiring kit, then take ONE system at a time and wire it. I like Kwik Wire over Painless for many reasons, two of them being cheaper price, and they are located about 1/2 an hour away from me, so help is close by!

Re: Painless Wiring Harness [Re: 79powerwagon] #84580
07/06/08 10:13 AM
07/06/08 10:13 AM
michigan
black64 Offline
enthusiast
black64  Offline
enthusiast

michigan
It is not that hard to do since each wire is labeled to where it goes. Use the wiring schematic that comes with the kit and FSM for your car and it should not be a problem. You need the FSM if you are using original components like the cluster, turnsignal switch, etc. Good luck with it.

Re: Painless Wiring Harness [Re: 79powerwagon] #84581
07/06/08 11:57 AM
07/06/08 11:57 AM
In a town not near you.
C
clownzilla Offline
clownzilla  Offline
C

In a town not near you.
Quote:

You're over-complicating it in your mind, causing the stress. How "original" do you want it? If originality isn't important (and it sure isn't to me), get ANY standard hot-rod wiring kit, then take ONE system at a time and wire it. I like Kwik Wire over Painless for many reasons, two of them being cheaper price, and they are located about 1/2 an hour away from me, so help is close by!

Ditto that.

I used the EZ wire 21 circuit kit for $185 bucks.
Painless is way too expensive.

Here's my fuse box, and each wire is labeled what for along the entire length of the wire.

You can do away with alot of factory b/s wiring and use toggle switches for certain things, but if you are just totally overwhelmed with wiring, you may want to get someone to help you that knows a little bit about how electrons flow.

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

The early bird gets the worm, and the second mouse always gets the cheese.
Re: Painless Wiring Harness [Re: clownzilla] #84582
07/06/08 12:32 PM
07/06/08 12:32 PM
Pataskala, Ohio
GTX70sixpack Offline
top fuel
GTX70sixpack  Offline
top fuel

Pataskala, Ohio
I have installed many Painless wire kits. They are over priced and don't match the application as they would have you think. I have wired race cars using parts car fuse boxes and rolls of wire and it takes no longer than using a painless.
If you must use a painless the t-bucket kit is the least expensive and you don't end up with a bunch of circuts that you will never use.
The Mopar kits do no ressemble factory wiring or connectors (a few match) and once you reach the devise your wiring your on your own for connectors.
They are deccent quality and there are applicationtions they work great in. In street rod applications and 50s modified cars they are a blessing.

65 Belvedere II Station Wagon
69 Coronet R/T convertible
70 GTX
70'cuda
99 Dodge Diesel dually 4X4
Re: Painless Wiring Harness [Re: GTX70sixpack] #84583
07/07/08 12:56 AM
07/07/08 12:56 AM
Chicago, Illinois
Devil Offline
I Live Here
Devil  Offline
I Live Here

Chicago, Illinois
I used the painless performance mopar wiring harness 10127. It is a universal mopar harness so I had to tweak it for my car. But it is color coded for mopars. So it worked out alright.