07/05/08 02:09 PM
07/05/08 02:09 PM
Eau Claire, WI
ResQ911 Offline OP
super gas
ResQ911  Offline OP
super gas

Eau Claire, WI
I just got 496 stroker engine in and car running. Had engine built and was dyno'ed with my carb, distributor and headers before I brought it home from the builder's shop.
It ran great on dyno but now that I have it in the car it idles like crap, rough, stumbles a bit at times on acceleration and seems low on power. I am kind of disappointed. I figured I paid to have it dyno'ed at builder's shop so it would be an easy "drop in and go".

Here is what I've found/checked:

1) Small bit of leaking between head and intake along top. (Bubbles)
2) Oil pressure seems high according to gauge.
3) Had to retard timing to get it to idle smoother and not ping on acceleration. (Was dyno'ed at 32* TDC)
4) Have a MSD Soft Touch rev limiter and it seems to kick in way before 7000 rpm. So I took out pill for now.
5) Pretty bad header leaks. (Flanges are warped and am getting better gaskets)
6) Found out builder had only 6 qts. of oil in 7 qt. pan when dyno'ed, hope no damage from that.
7) Engine doesn't seem to like timing set to 32* anymore. I am getting alot of pinging at idle and under load. Sluggish starting when set at 32*. (10.5 : 1 comp)

Could you guys could give me a checklist of things to check to figure out where the problem is?

I am really happy to drive car after 7 years of resto but am bummed it runs so crappy. I did paint and body work myself but have to admit I know very little about the mechanics. Please help a novice out.

Thanks for the checklist!

Re: Help! New Engine Is Running Like Crap [Re: ResQ911] #84414
07/05/08 02:31 PM
07/05/08 02:31 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Online content
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Online Content
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Is it missing or popping? Bad gas? Dirty fuel filter?

MSD box grounded? Are you sure your supposed to take the pill out of the msd box while it's running?

Coil wires hooked up right?

The negative 1 qt of oil is not going to hurt anything. No problem there.

Snug the intake bolts down again with a small wrench. Might as well stick a wrench on the rest of the bolts too. Oil pan, timing cover etc will crawl back out after a few heat cycles. Catch the possible leaks before they start!

Wipe some hi-tep copper rtv on the header gaskets and that will cure your leaks.

If you get too lost take it back to the machine shop and ask them for help fixing it.

Re: Help! New Engine Is Running Like Crap [Re: ResQ911] #84415
07/05/08 02:46 PM
07/05/08 02:46 PM
Willoughby Hills, Ohio
gd9704 Offline
super gas
gd9704  Offline
super gas

Willoughby Hills, Ohio
My guess is that something is amiss in the ignition....

Was anything removed before delivery? (Wires, whole distributor?)

If it ran great on the dyno, it must be something simple that got knocked out of adjustment between the shop and your car.

I'd double check the distributor, wires, etc......

Keep us updated, you'll get this beast running great!!!!!

Re: Help! New Engine Is Running Like Crap [Re: Neil] #84416
07/05/08 02:55 PM
07/05/08 02:55 PM
Eau Claire, WI
ResQ911 Offline OP
super gas
ResQ911  Offline OP
super gas

Eau Claire, WI
Quote:

Is it missing or popping? Bad gas? Dirty fuel filter?

MSD box grounded? Are you sure your supposed to take the pill out of the msd box while it's running?

Coil wires hooked up right?

The negative 1 qt of oil is not going to hurt anything. No problem there.

Snug the intake bolts down again with a small wrench. Might as well stick a wrench on the rest of the bolts too. Oil pan, timing cover etc will crawl back out after a few heat cycles. Catch the possible leaks before they start!

Wipe some hi-tep copper rtv on the header gaskets and that will cure your leaks.

If you get too lost take it back to the machine shop and ask them for help fixing it.

I think it is bogging when I step on it
New premium gas and filter
Box is grounded and MSD Tech told me with pill removed, it basically removes limiter from system.
Coil wires were reversed but now corrected. (Guy before me had red coil wire as neg.....)
Machine shop is 2 1/2 hours away so I am trying not to have to take it there.
Triple checked plug wires and distributor was removed but marked first and double checked after put back in.

Re: Help! New Engine Is Running Like Crap [Re: ResQ911] #84417
07/06/08 10:58 AM
07/06/08 10:58 AM
Eau Claire, WI
ResQ911 Offline OP
super gas
ResQ911  Offline OP
super gas

Eau Claire, WI
Anyone have a checklist of things to run through for me??