07/04/08 08:44 PM
07/04/08 08:44 PM
pa
73roadbird Offline OP
mopar
73roadbird  Offline OP
mopar

pa
Removed the engine and trans. today and the inside of the converter hub has some scaring. Can someone tell me what would have caused this and can I re-use the converter if needed. I have a slightly higher stall converter I may use instead of putting the stock one back in but it is neutral balanced and I would need to get the B&M flexplate which is no problem. Trans. is a smallblock 727 and 360. Thanks...

Re: Torque converter [Re: 73roadbird] #84108
07/05/08 04:32 PM
07/05/08 04:32 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Describe the scarring. Pic would be better.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Torque converter [Re: 73roadbird] #84109
07/05/08 04:46 PM
07/05/08 04:46 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Removed the engine and trans. today and the inside of the converter hub has some scaring. Can someone tell me what would have caused this and can I re-use the converter if needed. I have a slightly higher stall converter I may use instead of putting the stock one back in but it is neutral balanced and I would need to get the B&M flexplate which is no problem. Trans. is a smallblock 727 and 360. Thanks...

Why would you need to get a B&M flex plate???? You have the stock converter, You have the high stall neutral balanced converter. No problem. Knock the weights off the OEM converter. Lay the 2 converters next to each other so that the converter mounting lugs are in the same location on each, IE: the offset lug in the same position on each converter. Tack the weights on the Neutral converter. You have everything you need. 10-15 minutes and you have it done.

Re: Torque converter [Re: MoparforLife] #84110
07/05/08 09:01 PM
07/05/08 09:01 PM
pa
73roadbird Offline OP
mopar
73roadbird  Offline OP
mopar

pa
Can't post pics. The scaring is circular in shape as when it's mounted in the trans. The marks go around the inside of the hub. The outside is fine as well as the outside of the trans. shaft. The trans. worked fine with no noise ect. I'm restoring this car and have it mostly apart, and noticed this when I removed the convertor. I've had many trannys out and swapped many a convertors out over the years, but never seen this before. I could cut the weights off and re weld them on the neutral convertor, but thats going to be down the road a few month's. I figure if I should run across a flexplate sometime before the trans. goes back in I would pick one up.

Re: Torque converter [Re: 73roadbird] #84111
07/05/08 09:39 PM
07/05/08 09:39 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Can't post pics. The scaring is circular in shape as when it's mounted in the trans. The marks go around the inside of the hub. The outside is fine as well as the outside of the trans. shaft. The trans. worked fine with no noise ect. I'm restoring this car and have it mostly apart, and noticed this when I removed the convertor. I've had many trannys out and swapped many a convertors out over the years, but never seen this before. I could cut the weights off and re weld them on the neutral convertor, but thats going to be down the road a few month's. I figure if I should run across a flexplate sometime before the trans. goes back in I would pick one up.

why is that such a wait. It is a simple job. It could have been long time done in your time posting wondering about damage on the stock converter. If you have them both out like you tend to make me understand it is not a big deal. Half an hour and that includes a beer break.