Phoenix AZ
G
Guido Offline OP
mopar
Guido  Offline OP
mopar
G

Phoenix AZ

I have a new MP oil pump drive gear and I pulled the drive gear out of my Son`s van to switch them. When I put the MP drive gear in, .... it wouldn`t go all the way in. I reached in there and spun it, pushed down on it, .. nothing, it just wouldn`t go in. So I pulled it out and had my son compare it to the old one. He Mic`d the shaft on both and they are both the same size right below the gear and all the way down to where it tapers off smaller.
The portion where it is tapered smaller, is larger diameter on the new one than the old one is, but that`s not the strange part.
Everything about it says it SHOULD fit, but it won``t go in even to the point where the gears mesh, I could pass a coat hanger between the two gears and it wouldn``t do downward any more than that.
At first I thought the smaller, tapered end must be too fat on the MP unit, but while I had it in there and was spinning it and pushing down on it, it left a ring mark on the shaft about halfway up the on the smaller diameter end and THAT didn`t make any sens to me because the smaller end of that shaft measured the same size from the very bottom all the way up to where if flares out to the larger diameter top section where the brass bearinf rides.

What gives ??? I dropped the old one back in and it spun right down effortlessly.

Why wont the MP oil pump drive gear drop in there normally ???

Madness Takes It`s Toll, ...... Please Have Exact Change.
Re: Mopar Perf. Oil Pump Drive Gear Problem [Re: Guido] #823285
10/06/10 01:34 PM
10/06/10 01:34 PM
closer to Canadian beer!
torkrules Offline
I'm neurotic
torkrules  Offline
I'm neurotic

closer to Canadian beer!
Quote:

I have a new MP oil pump drive gear and I pulled the drive gear out of my Son`s van to switch them. When I put the MP drive gear in, .... it wouldn`t go all the way in. I reached in there and spun it, pushed down on it, .. nothing, it just wouldn`t go in. So I pulled it out and had my son compare it to the old one. He Mic`d the shaft on both and they are both the same size right below the gear and all the way down to where it tapers off smaller.
The portion where it is tapered smaller, is larger diameter on the new one than the old one is, but that`s not the strange part.
Everything about it says it SHOULD fit, but it won``t go in even to the point where the gears mesh, I could pass a coat hanger between the two gears and it wouldn``t do downward any more than that.
At first I thought the smaller, tapered end must be too fat on the MP unit, but while I had it in there and was spinning it and pushing down on it, it left a ring mark on the shaft about halfway up the on the smaller diameter end and THAT didn`t make any sens to me because the smaller end of that shaft measured the same size from the very bottom all the way up to where if flares out to the larger diameter top section where the brass bearinf rides.

What gives ??? I dropped the old one back in and it spun right down effortlessly.

Why wont the MP oil pump drive gear drop in there normally ???

Big block or small block? I've had this happen to big blocks. All I did was loosen the pump a bit and dropped right in. Re-tightened the pump and I could pull it in and out with no problems. I've only noticed this on MP drives. I haven't seen any issues with Milodon gears.

Re: Mopar Perf. Oil Pump Drive Gear Problem [Re: torkrules] #823286
10/06/10 03:01 PM
10/06/10 03:01 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Who makes good small block oil pump drives??

Re: Mopar Perf. Oil Pump Drive Gear Problem [Re: Guido] #823287
10/06/10 05:20 PM
10/06/10 05:20 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Is the clocking of the hex w the teeth on the other end slightly different from the old to the new? If so you can turn it (the pump) a bit w your oil primer rod to line it up. I never could find my old 5/16" hex rod so I ground the teeth off of a worn intermediate shaft (they're soft & grind down easy) then ground a notch in a 3/8" rod for it and chucked the other end into my drill & got tired of all the hullaballu about whether a primer rod w hit the bronze bushing if not taped & if taped would the tape come off so this takes care of it

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Mopar Perf. Oil Pump Drive Gear Problem [Re: torkrules] #823288
10/10/10 05:25 AM
10/10/10 05:25 AM
Phoenix AZ
G
Guido Offline OP
mopar
Guido  Offline OP
mopar
G

Phoenix AZ
This is a small block oil pump drive gear. Yes, I checked the new one against the old one and the lower portion was fatter than the old one, but that wasn`t making any sense because the spot where it stuck was over halfway up on the lower portion of the shaft.

I did also check the HEX end before I posted this, they were different, but I used the primer rod and twisted it little by little and the drive gear simply would not drop all the way in.

Like I said before, the rub mark on the lower prtion of the shaft was about halfway up the shaft and the lower portion of the shaft is the Same diameter fron the HEX to the fat section. It just doesn`t make sinse. The old one went back in and the new one got tossed on the shelf in Disgust.

Madness Takes It`s Toll, ...... Please Have Exact Change.
Re: Mopar Perf. Oil Pump Drive Gear Problem [Re: Guido] #823289
10/10/10 09:49 AM
10/10/10 09:49 AM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
I have allways had to remove the pump and install the drive