06/26/08 03:53 PM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
With the caps off.

The smaller box attached to the large one is for rad fan relay and fuse.

4513622-Relaybox_1.jpg (83 downloads)
Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: MoparMarq] #79764
06/26/08 03:58 PM
06/26/08 03:58 PM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
The junction box off the Maxima. The big fusible link is to the battery (trunk mounted). The three smaller ones are for dash power, rad fan controller, and headlight relay box power.

What's not shown in the picture obviously is the wire from the alternator that will bolt onto the power stud next to the box.

4513630-Powerbox_1.jpg (78 downloads)
Last edited by MoparMarq; 06/26/08 04:00 PM.
Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: MoparMarq] #79765
06/26/08 04:13 PM
06/26/08 04:13 PM
North Riverside IL & Lowell IN
GTXKen Offline
super gas
GTXKen  Offline
super gas

North Riverside IL & Lowell IN
I pulled mine out of a 97 Intrepid

Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: NITROUSN] #79766
06/26/08 07:35 PM
06/26/08 07:35 PM
Seminole County FL to Plymouth...
Barry70GTX Offline
super stock
Barry70GTX  Offline
super stock

Quote:

Quote:

I don't see any reason to use 2 relays. I use one and wire it in at the dimmer switch. No wire cutting and it is hidden under the carpet and left kick panel.

Please explain how you wire one relay in to do the job?

The green wire from the light switch turns on the relay for the direct current path from the battery.I run a hot wire from the starter relay.Wire it back to the dimmer switch and the current takes its normal route to the headlamps.Eliminating any current for the headlamps traveling through the AMP Gauge.

NMCA NSS 67 Coronet
Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: Barry70GTX] #79767
06/26/08 09:57 PM
06/26/08 09:57 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Online content
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Online Content
I Live Here
N

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't see any reason to use 2 relays. I use one and wire it in at the dimmer switch. No wire cutting and it is hidden under the carpet and left kick panel.

The green wire from the light switch turns on the relay for the direct current path from the battery.I run a hot wire from the starter relay.Wire it back to the dimmer switch and the current takes its normal route to the headlamps.Eliminating any current for the headlamps traveling through the AMP Gauge.

So what do you do or how do you wire one relay for both high and low beams?

Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: NITROUSN] #79768
06/26/08 10:10 PM
06/26/08 10:10 PM
Houston, Tx
A
AlexP Offline
I Live Here
AlexP  Offline
I Live Here
A

Houston, Tx
Here is a semi-reliable comparison.

I just had my car rewired with a Painless Harness. Had relays put on the headlights. Running replacement GE sealed beams for now.

My friend and I bought the Hella 5.75" housings for my Roadrunner and his Charger. We put the housings on his Charger first. He had the ORIGINAL sealed beams on his car and candles would have been an improvement. We popped the Hellas on and gained a noticeable improvement. The car is now safe to drive at night.

But, the difference is in the relays. My Roadrunner with the GE (non-halogen) sealed beams is brighter even with the engine not running than his Charger with the Hellas. He not only has higher wattage bulbs and a better light pattern. The car isn't back from the wiring job yet, but when it does those Hellas are going in and I think it is going to be the end game.

My Build thread: Let the hemi swap begin!

1968 wanna be pro touring whatchamacallit with some fancy stuff and a new roof skin.
Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: Barry70GTX] #79769
06/26/08 10:26 PM
06/26/08 10:26 PM
N
NITROUSN Online content
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Online Content
I Live Here
N

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I see what you are doing. Running the load through the ammeter is just part of the problem. The way you are doing it you still can have voltage loss at the dimmer switch and connector as well as the bulkhead. The correct way is to use 2 relays for both high and low beams and bypass all the inherent weak areas the cars are known for.

Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: NITROUSN] #79770
06/26/08 10:27 PM
06/26/08 10:27 PM
Barry70GTX Offline
super stock
Barry70GTX  Offline
super stock

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So what do you do or how do you wire one relay for both high and low beams?

I wire the relay in before the dimmer switch.

NMCA NSS 67 Coronet
Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: NITROUSN] #79771
06/26/08 10:33 PM
06/26/08 10:33 PM
Barry70GTX Offline
super stock
Barry70GTX  Offline
super stock

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I see what you are doing. Running the load through the ammeter is just part of the problem. The way you are doing it you still can have voltage loss at the dimmer switch and connector as well as the bulkhead. The correct way is to use 2 relays for both high and low beams and bypass all the inherent weak areas the cars are known for.

I've never had any problem with the wiring past the light switch on these old cars. It is always the bulkhead-amp gauge-switch.

NMCA NSS 67 Coronet
Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: Barry70GTX] #79772
06/26/08 10:47 PM
06/26/08 10:47 PM
N
NITROUSN Online content
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Online Content
I Live Here
N

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've never had any problem with the wiring past the light switch on these old cars. It is always the bulkhead-amp gauge-switch.

You are lucky. I have repaired many dimmer switch connectors and bulkheads were the high and low pass through. The dual relay is a true fix.

Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ #79773
06/27/08 01:06 AM
06/27/08 01:06 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Whoa....hold on here folks.

Let's try to keep this post to the 4 headlight question, and taking the load off the headlight switch.

Let's take the old ammeter out of the equation here (Mine is shunted) and works fine.
I'm wired directly from alternator, through dash, and back out to fused starter relay stud (By passed 5 connectors). I'm good...works well.

My headlights are very bright at idle, and I
want to take the load off the headlight switch.

Back to the relay question.

Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ #79774
06/27/08 01:25 AM
06/27/08 01:25 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
1- what barry posted is good to save the headlight switch BUT JUST THAT... as stated by Nitrous, high power is still running thought floor dimmer switches. We need to note that relays are to save load FROM SWITCHES since those are the weakest points. with that mod you still are using A SWITCH ( even a selector ) to feed headlights.

Maybe that would work to regular beams, but definitelly NOT WITH HALOGENS or higher consumption lights kind.

2-wires and terminals EVEN SPADE ONES support the halogen and other higher consumption lights. In fact if you think THE ORIGINAL RELAY SETUP ALREADY USES spad ekind terminals, then why worry about bulkhead. Bulkhead is to worry on more than 40-50 amps loads. headlights never gets that. So once again as stated, relays are to save internal points of stock switches what are the real weak point.

3- feeding from batt will get wrong reading on ammeter and will overheat the bulkhead and ammeter since alt will be constantly recharging batt even when is not the bat what needs to be charged. Relays would it be the devices what simulates the batt discharge being on that side of the charging net. Feeding relays from alt side will make the load keeps OUT OF THE AMMETER.. of course that is if and just if you have a plenty powerfull alt. If not, then batt will be the device feeding and then the problem is backward, but still the same original had.

BTW have all my relays inside the cab and still being feeded from ammeter stud, alt side. WORKS CHARMING!!!

usefull reading:
web page

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: NachoRT74] #79775
08/03/08 10:48 PM
08/03/08 10:48 PM
Farmland, IN
Ludington1 Offline
master
Ludington1  Offline
master

Farmland, IN
Bringing this thread back from the dead... when you guys are putting in these relays for the headlights, are you putting the parking/turn signal lights on the relays also, or just leaving them on the factory harness?

Darren

Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: Ludington1] #79776
08/03/08 11:16 PM
08/03/08 11:16 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

CRIMP CONNECTORS: The idea that PROPERLY crimped QUALITY connectors are inferior to soldered connectors is nonsense. Some of the most expensive test equipment and military equipment in the world uses crimp connections

RELAYS: You MUST use two, one for high and one for low, and put them as close to the lights / battery supply as possible, otherwise you defeat the purpose

69chargeryeehaa:

With respect, your installation is very poor practice. Connecting circuits to unprotected battery posts is a poor idea from the aspect of corrosion and intermittent problems down the line. The gassing from the battery will eventually seep into the relays--which are NOT sealed--and corrode the contacts and other connections. I hear others mounting electrical accessories under the battery tray, and this, too, is poor practice.

The relays should be away from engine heat as much as possible, protected from battery gases, and road splash.

PROBABLY, up high forward of the rad support is a condsideration. You might need to build a small sheet metal shield for road splash.

Also, if you use those self-resetting little rectangular breakers, REMEMBER--they are degraded in amperage by ENGINE HEAT. So are fuses. If you decide to mount them, for example, INSIDE the car, then you'll be faced with battling the ever present bulkhead connection--probably most of the problem in the first place.

Also, the factory wiring, both for tail lamps and headlights, is FAR FAR from what I'd use. I'd use at LEAST #14, even for tail lamps.

Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ #79777
08/04/08 12:07 AM
08/04/08 12:07 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
wherever you put the relays allways gets wins and loose factors...

-inside the cab, save from heat, dust, grease or corrosion and also gets a clean engine bay view but is true you loose some on distance but is not that critical.

about terminals... bulkhead terminals are able to drive the halogen beams power from relays. IF YOU THINk relays and plugs ALREADY use those spade terminals, why not the bulkhead if they are the same kind ?... just need to take care about the positive source coming from alt/batt... I use the alt source to keep the right reading on ammeter. ( yes I keep the ammeter )

-On engine bay, of course opposite pros and cons than above

I didn't cut wires, just removed the terminals from original plugs cavities and moved to relay plug, then run the same color and gauge wire from relay to original plug cavity to get everything back to normal.

Darren, relays are just to headlights, however you can use a realy for anything on your car, including parking lights.

I wouldn't use them for turning/hazzards. If you use a relay on turning/hazzards, flasher won't get same heat than normally gets with all bulbs load and will get a VERY slow blinker function ( if any blink ) because bimetallic on flasher never will heat. Just like when you don't have bulbs around ( or damaged ) and just cluster turn indicators... they never makes blink the flasher by themself, not enough load

Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: AlexP] #79778
08/04/08 07:45 AM
08/04/08 07:45 AM
Athens, Greece
Pyper70 Offline
master
Pyper70  Offline
master

Athens, Greece
Quote:

Here is a semi-reliable comparison.

I just had my car rewired with a Painless Harness. Had relays put on the headlights. Running replacement GE sealed beams for now.

My friend and I bought the Hella 5.75" housings for my Roadrunner and his Charger. We put the housings on his Charger first. He had the ORIGINAL sealed beams on his car and candles would have been an improvement. We popped the Hellas on and gained a noticeable improvement. The car is now safe to drive at night.

But, the difference is in the relays. My Roadrunner with the GE (non-halogen) sealed beams is brighter even with the engine not running than his Charger with the Hellas. He not only has higher wattage bulbs and a better light pattern. The car isn't back from the wiring job yet, but when it does those Hellas are going in and I think it is going to be the end game.

Yo Alex....I did the same thing to my 70 Charger, Popped off the standard Halogens and put in the Glass lens Hella's. Be weary of the cheap hack jobs on Ebay with the plastic lenses, they fade after a few months from the intense heat inside the headlight. I ran H4 Xenon Bulbs and they worked great but was worried about burning up the wire so I too put in headlight relays from Painless, little expensive but now that I have one I know how to mock it up cheaper. It took the juice straight from the battery instead of through a 14ga wire. It still needed an upgrade. They were bright but I knew there was more. I installed a PowerMaster 140amp single wire and WOW!...difference is day and night.

I have the dual relays on my 69 now ( I lost my replacement H4 beams somewhere in the relocation of houses) but the charger has a GM 100amp and it is BRIGHT. I am prohibited from driving at night so putting on the Hella's is pointless right now but I have pretty good driving conditions at night with the Halogens

Family owned 1969 Charger R/T DualQuad 440/727/GVO/3.55s
Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: 68Cbarge] #79779
08/04/08 08:07 AM
08/04/08 08:07 AM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Here is my two relay setup for 2bulbs

http://www.goodysgotacuda.com/Headlights.html

Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #79780
08/04/08 04:13 PM
08/04/08 04:13 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Quote:

Here is my two relay setup for 2bulbs

http://www.goodysgotacuda.com/Headlights.html

the same for 4 head ligts just that high beams position will drive 4 beams. Is easy for a single relay.

HOWEVER I still would take the power from alt stud or any point on alt side of power to get teh right reading on ammeter.

Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: Ludington1] #79781
08/05/08 01:21 PM
08/05/08 01:21 PM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
Quote:

Bringing this thread back from the dead... when you guys are putting in these relays for the headlights, are you putting the parking/turn signal lights on the relays also, or just leaving them on the factory harness?

Darren

Relays are just for the headlights, as they are high power draw items. No need for parking/turn signal lights, as they are low-current-draw. And relays on them would add unnecessary complexity.

Re: Four (4) Headlights on relay's ?........ [Re: NachoRT74] #79782
08/06/08 06:31 PM
08/06/08 06:31 PM
Farmland, IN
Ludington1 Offline
master
Ludington1  Offline
master

Farmland, IN
One more for this thread... what size of fuse are you guys putting between the alternator stud and the relays?

Thanks,
Darren

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3