eastern, pa.
C
cudabitten Offline OP
super stock
cudabitten  Offline OP
super stock
C

eastern, pa.
I am considering buying a barracuda that needs alot of body work. I wanted to do most of it myself. I have a two car garage, plenty of tools, and some welding experience, but no autobody experince. My question is, how difficult would it be for me to, for example replace the trunk floor, trunk extensions, wheel housings, and then maybe have a local body shop hang the quarters? Any advice? This car also needs rockers, and some fender repair. Thanks Guys.

Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: cudabitten] #77971
06/21/08 08:28 PM
06/21/08 08:28 PM
God's Country Maryland
GODSCOUNTRY340 Offline
top fuel
GODSCOUNTRY340  Offline
top fuel

God's Country Maryland
If you're replacing the quarter panels that's the best time to install the trunk floor. Buy the one piece floor and slide it in through where the quarter was. My advice is to take many measurements and digital photos before you start removing panels. Getting everything lined up from the first new panel to the last will make the job go a lot smoother.

I love the smell of Deer guts in the morning, it smells like... VICTORY!
Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: GODSCOUNTRY340] #77972
06/21/08 09:13 PM
06/21/08 09:13 PM
eastern, pa.
C
cudabitten Offline OP
super stock
cudabitten  Offline OP
super stock
C

eastern, pa.
thanks for the advice, do you think I can handle this project in my garage? I was thinking about buying a gas welder.

Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: cudabitten] #77973
06/21/08 10:57 PM
06/21/08 10:57 PM
God's Country Maryland
GODSCOUNTRY340 Offline
top fuel
GODSCOUNTRY340  Offline
top fuel

God's Country Maryland
It depends on how motivated you are. For a beginner it will seem overwhelming but just stick with it and don't let it get the best of you. You need to ask yourself if you've been able to finish tough projects in the past without giving up. It may be a good idea to only remove one quarter panel at a time to keep body sag to a minimum. Remove the left panel, left trunk ext., trunk floor and replace these before going to the right side. This will take some time to complete, only you know if you can handle it. It's better to try and fail than to never have tried. Just keep telling yourself you can do it and believe it. Get-R-Done!!!

I love the smell of Deer guts in the morning, it smells like... VICTORY!
Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: GODSCOUNTRY340] #77974
06/21/08 11:19 PM
06/21/08 11:19 PM
eastern, pa.
C
cudabitten Offline OP
super stock
cudabitten  Offline OP
super stock
C

eastern, pa.
Thanks,I know I can do it, I called a local body shop and the guy said if he were doing it he would remove the rear, and all the suspension parts, I was just going to remove the wheel and gas tank, do you think I can install these parts correctly this way?

Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: cudabitten] #77975
06/21/08 11:44 PM
06/21/08 11:44 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

Thanks,I know I can do it, I called a local body shop and the guy said if he were doing it he would remove the rear, and all the suspension parts, I was just going to remove the wheel and gas tank, do you think I can install these parts correctly this way?

yea, you could, but it would definitly be a lot easier without the axle, springs, and shocks in your way when doing the trunk floor and wheel wells. for the quarters, it probably wouldn't matter too much.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: 70Cuda383] #77976
06/21/08 11:56 PM
06/21/08 11:56 PM
eastern, pa.
C
cudabitten Offline OP
super stock
cudabitten  Offline OP
super stock
C

eastern, pa.
What do you think about installing these panels by tack welding and then using seam sealer, my local body shop said they do it, and it reduces the chance for rust to form again.
I think he said they install trunk floors and rocker panel covers that way. I also saw an article here on moparts tech archive about using adheasive on patch panel replacements.

Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: cudabitten] #77977
06/22/08 01:06 AM
06/22/08 01:06 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

What do you think about installing these panels by tack welding and then using seam sealer, my local body shop said they do it, and it reduces the chance for rust to form again.
I think he said they install trunk floors and rocker panel covers that way. I also saw an article here on moparts tech archive about using adheasive on patch panel replacements.

eeeh....patch panels? I wouldn't do it. I'd butt-weld them all the way around.

full OEM style replacement parts...well, the factory only did spot welds and fill the seams with lead/seam sealer, so you'd actually be duplicating the factory job.

I wouldn't do it if it was a patch that did not follow a factory seam though...but structurally, It should hold up ok, not sure about how rust proof it will be.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: 70Cuda383] #77978
06/22/08 06:03 AM
06/22/08 06:03 AM
NEW JERSEY
AARCONV Offline
master
AARCONV  Offline
master

NEW JERSEY
i did mine, just do a little at a time

Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: AARCONV] #77979
06/22/08 07:38 AM
06/22/08 07:38 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
I did it in a two car garage. I spent some time first on the garage - effective heat and a window AC unit so I could enjoy working on it all 4 seasons.

The basic process for making joints with repair panels in sheet metal is "stitch welding" which is basically a repeated series of tack welds until the joint is complete. This minimizes the chance of warping and burn through. To replicate spot welds, you drill one panel with 1/4" or 5/16" holes and fill with weld.

A MIG welder would be easiest to work with. Gas would heat the panels too much.

Suggest you get a good book on body work.

If you decide to tackle it plan on taking some time - a couple of years in my case.

Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: ahy] #77980
06/22/08 08:02 AM
06/22/08 08:02 AM
DFW
68RRFlyer Offline
mopar
68RRFlyer  Offline
mopar

DFW
cudabit, I'm doing my 68 Road Runner in my 2 car garage and the kicker to that is after I get done working on it, I have to move it over so the wife can park her car in the garage too. So yeah, it can be done and most everyone here does it that way. We all don't own shops or big equipment. Check my sites. You'll see what I'm doing but here's an overall summary:

So far:
-complete teardown of the car
-built a dolly
-replaced everything from wheel housings back
(and I mean everything including frame rails)
-both full factory quarters
To come:
-passenger side rocker replacement (this week)
-full floor replacement (next month)
-place car on a rotisserie and paint (in the fall)

So, you can see that basically anything can be done in a two car garage given proper planning and taking your time. Be honest with yourself in what you think you can handle. Best of luck!!!!

Cheers

Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: 68RRFlyer] #77981
06/22/08 09:27 AM
06/22/08 09:27 AM
Mechanic Falls, Maine
4BBodies Offline
mopar addict
4BBodies  Offline
mopar addict

Mechanic Falls, Maine
You can do it, it is like any other trade.........once you learn the tricks, you are good to go. To get those "tricks", purchase books, videos, etc., ask questions, and don't worry.........it is NOT rocket science! The guys here in Moparts are an endless supply of help. You can tack weld all of your floor sections, then seam seal, but you should skip weld your quarters solid. That is, weld them solid using the "skip weld" method of small 1/8 to 1/4 inch welds skipping back and forth from hot areas to cool ones, to minimize wharping. A beginner is not going to be able to butt weld a quarter panel, so a 1/4 flange will work quite well, with seam sealer inside to hide it. And don't weld anything until your trunk lid lines up good, and your door lines are good, and everything is as close to perfect as you can make it. I use 1/8 inch screws, they make panel holders, but screws have served me well for 20 years to hold everything in place, along with a couple of dozen severely beaten up, scummy vise grips!!!!!!

Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: 4BBodies] #77982
06/22/08 10:22 AM
06/22/08 10:22 AM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
one of the members here has a great rundown of his restoration. http://www.sandysgarage.com/current.html
If you can read through the whole thing, follow along, and feel that it's within your grasp, go for it.
Here's another B body restoration that's going on.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index....p;topic=33799.0
These should give you a better idea of what you are facing.
Oh, and another member here is doing a Challenger. Can't find it right now.

Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: 68RRFlyer] #77983
06/22/08 12:17 PM
06/22/08 12:17 PM
eastern, pa.
C
cudabitten Offline OP
super stock
cudabitten  Offline OP
super stock
C

eastern, pa.
actually, I have the same setup, wife's car on one side my space on the other. I started planning on this last year and bought a shed to clear a spot on "my side" of the garage. I'm gonna install some lighting and maybe a heater for the winter, we'll see how it goes. I plan on having this done by next summer. I'm not looking for show quality, just want something drive around that looks good but not worry about.

Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: cudabitten] #77984
06/22/08 03:18 PM
06/22/08 03:18 PM
Mechanic Falls, Maine
4BBodies Offline
mopar addict
4BBodies  Offline
mopar addict

Mechanic Falls, Maine
I have seen more than one "show quality" car that was butchered. The guys that spend the time and do it right are the ones with cars they can be proud of, these cars do not have bubbles popping through the plastic in 6 months. And all of these guys are NOT pros by any means! Paying $75/hour for bodywork is meaningless if the guy doing it is a hack, and hides everything with mud! Trust me, if you take your time, it won't be as overwhelming as it seems now.

Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: 4BBodies] #77985
06/28/08 08:53 PM
06/28/08 08:53 PM
eastern, pa.
C
cudabitten Offline OP
super stock
cudabitten  Offline OP
super stock
C

eastern, pa.
Thanks for the support, I plan on buying a gas welding set-up. I'm going to take one section at a time. I'm a little concerned about removing the gas tank when I get to that part. I think I'm going to start in the engine compartment and clean that up really good and then start on the body panels front to back. I guess I'll save the interior for last,after its painted?

Re: question about cuda autobody repairs [Re: cudabitten] #77986
06/28/08 10:36 PM
06/28/08 10:36 PM
Greenville, N.C.
BarrsRestoration Offline
enthusiast
BarrsRestoration  Offline
enthusiast

Greenville, N.C.
Quote:

I am considering buying a barracuda that needs alot of body work. I wanted to do most of it myself. I have a two car garage, plenty of tools, and some welding experience, but no autobody experince. My question is, how difficult would it be for me to, for example replace the trunk floor, trunk extensions, wheel housings, and then maybe have a local body shop hang the quarters? Any advice? This car also needs rockers, and some fender repair. Thanks Guys.

After the past year plus of re-doing the "restoration work" of other shops on 3 'Cuda's, I could write a book about how NOT to fix a 'Cuda body.
Instead, here are some quick tips. Excuse the caps, but they are for emphasis.

If the wheels are off,

Support the body (frame rails) at the points where the suspension's load would be. ESPECIALLY if it's a convertible. In other words, you want it supported in back under the rear end housing/axle tubes. If the rear is out, support at the kick-up where the shock x-crossmember is. In front, at the suspension/engine cradle (K-member). If K-member is out, support under the frame rails where the lower control arm snubber mount is.

DO NOT use jack stands at the torque box locations because the body WILL sag. You do not want to weld panels on a sagging body.

Work replacement from inside out, and panel fitment from rear to front.
That means, in your case, to assure that the 1/4's and rockers fit, install and align the trunk lid and doors to the original, rusted panels.

If you need to replace the rear body panel, it's the perfect time to slide in the 1 piece trunk floor.

If you feel you cannot install the 1/4's, let the shop install the outer wheel housings and trunk floor side extensions. Best to fit those parts while fitting the 1/4 panel. Another required part for the same fitting operation is the rear valance panel. That will determine the placement of the extensions and 1/4's.

Also, do not paint the car until the wheel opening mouldings have been screwed on. They will not fit the replacement 1/4's well, and repro mouldings are worse, so best to deal with that prior to paint. Same goes for the side marker bezels. If the side floor extensions are angled too high, they will interfere with the markers.

Like suggested above, use 1/8 screws to stabilize and fit panels and weld after EVERYTHING fits like it should.

Good luck with your project.

Steve

www.clarkclassic.com