06/19/08 10:05 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

did they paint the ex manis engine color???

Yes, with all 66-71 Street Hemis and most other engines as well. They were nearly all bolted to the engine when it was painted, most got near complete coverage. Examples of bare cast iron are usually engines that the paint burned off of or were improperly detailed in the first place.
Here's an example I restored back in 1990, it was prtty accurate for the day, also used the Roger Gibson Race Hemi Orange (tint looks off in this old pic but it looked just like the 68 above).

4498409-67HemiDetails.jpg (111 downloads)
Re: street HEMI orange vs. HEMI restoration orange [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #75351
06/19/08 11:00 AM
06/19/08 11:00 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
so I guess it just burns off as soon as you fire it? or do you use high-temp?

Re: street HEMI orange vs. HEMI restoration orange [Re: Mr.Yuck] #75352
06/19/08 11:25 AM
06/19/08 11:25 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington

Quote:

so I guess it just burns off as soon as you fire it? or do you use high-temp?

No, I don't use hi temp, allowing it to burn off is correct. Most paint will burn off pretty fast, but some clues normally survive near the heads and attaching bolts. If you want to keep the bare iron looking good after the paint burns off try this trick. Media blast the manifolds to bare clean cast iron, paint them, now let the motor run and burn off the majority of the paint, then soak them down VERY well in fresh 90 weight oil, wipe away any excess to avoid fires etc. and run the engine again (stinky mess? yes! Definately an outdoor sport!) after they have had a good heat cycle the 90 weight does a surprisingly good job of keep rust away, a re-treatment once or twice a year keeps them looking good for years!

Quote:

Scott... what about this?

I still have some more detailing to do here and there.. I have a new emissions valve and will paint the negative cable properly......

Based on the pics it looks good, I can't see much without some close ups concerning correct masking details. Some areas should be bare metal where tape, fixturing jigs, etc. were covering portions of the engine while being painted. Major areas I'd look for are on the intake, taped mask off spot over rear vaccuum pot hole, bare areas betwen and around the bases of the carbs (carbs were installed when painted, masking box covered the areas beteen them). The valve covers were also installed when painted, a tight masking box covered them, this often resulted in small areas of bare iron around them or paint on thier edges, also, the valve cover nuts and studs were all black phosphate, no orange on the stud threads as yours seems to have. Yours being a 68 Hemi, I would have probably painted it Race Hemi Orange.
If you want more input feel free toe-mail me some close ups of your engine. BTW, while detailing the engine I posted above (1990 restoration on a 67 Hemi) I was a rookie at getting the details right, I had to strip and re-paint/re-detail it 3 times before I was happy, it was ALLOT of work! If I had it today I'd need to do it all over again to improve it, things have come a long way in terms of correct detailing since then.

Re: street HEMI orange vs. HEMI restoration orange [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #75353
06/19/08 01:14 PM
06/19/08 01:14 PM
Houston, Tx
hemi68charger Offline
master
hemi68charger  Offline
master

Houston, Tx
Sweet Scott !!! Thanks...

T

Troy
Houston Mopar Connection Club
'69 Charger Daytona 440 - auto - 4.10 Dana (now with 426 hemi)
'69 Charger 500 440 - 4speed - 3.54 Dana
'70 Road Runner 383 - 4speed - a/c (now with 440)
Page 2 of 2 1 2