06/15/08 04:32 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hello Moparts -

I have a 70 Fury with a 383. It is a G motor that was at least partially rebuilt and converted to a 4bbl. I have it running ok -- (Pertronix and an Edlebrock carb as well as plugs, wires, cap ect) but it does not make what I would say is normal power. I recall having owned other Mopar C's with the 2bbl 383 that had more get up and go. Yesterday I noticed the manifold at the #1 plug position...sort of bubbling some liquid around the manifold. The car always loses some anti-freeze and often will release antifreeze from the overflow after the car is shut off. So - do I have a head gasket problem, a cracked head or a block problem? I changed the oil yesterday and it was dirty, but did not seem to be diluted...when I drive the temp runs middle to a little higher...but not out of control (in Dallas).I notice that the freeze plugs seem to be new as well. 2nd question - how do I identify my heads? Remove the valve covers to get the casting/part #? Any thoughts would be great.

GPK 1961

Re: Two 383 questions. #74115
06/15/08 04:58 PM
06/15/08 04:58 PM
Williamsport, PA
Kingy Offline
Royal Pain
Kingy  Offline
Royal Pain

Williamsport, PA
Check that first exhaust manifold stud and make sure it's not leaking before you pulll the heads.