06/15/08 03:20 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hello All,
I know this is very basic, but I have a few simple Six-Pack questions ...

When you start up the motor - is it just the center 2-bbl that initially is in use? And is it just this center carb that needs a choke to be present/working?

If you adjust idle - do you just adjust the center carb? Or do the outer carbs get fuel at idle as well?

If either or both of the outboard carbs were to flood, what would happen to the motor? Would it die or keep running on the remaining carbs?

Thanks much for any insight into this. I searched around the web and couldn't find any basic intro on six-pack carb operation. But if anyone knows of one I would be grateful to hear about it!

Thanks much!

Re: Very Basic Six-Pack Question #74100
06/15/08 03:28 PM
06/15/08 03:28 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

When you start up the motor - is it just the center 2-bbl that initially is in use? And is it just this center carb that needs a choke to be present/working?

Yes & Yes

Quote:

If you adjust idle - do you just adjust the center carb?

Yes

Quote:

If either or both of the outboard carbs were to flood, what would happen to the motor? Would it die or keep running on the remaining carbs?

Depends on what you mean by "flood" if you mean start burping fuel you've likely got a stick needle & seat or your bowl levels are set wrong, in either case the engine should be shut off until the problem is corrected weather it continues to run or not, otherwise you'll be inviting a carb fire.

*BTW, that was at least 4 questions

Re: Very Basic Six-Pack Question #74101
06/15/08 03:32 PM
06/15/08 03:32 PM
Houston,Tx.
L
Lee446 Offline
pro stock
Lee446  Offline
pro stock
L

Houston,Tx.
When you start it up, the center carb is the primary device for choke function and basic idle speed However, the end carbs Do have idle circuits that are fuctioning as soon as the engine is running. The center carb is the only one with a choke.
When you adjust idle, the center carb controls idle speed, But all the carbs have idle circuits that must be adjusted initially. Once they are all set up correctly, the center becomes the carb normally adjusted for minor issues. The idle speed is only on the center carb, although there are some tricks available to adjust the ends, but it is not really necessary.
If any of the three carbs flood, it will die just like any other carb setup. Hope this helps, Lee.

Re: Very Basic Six-Pack Questions [Re: Lee446] #74102
06/15/08 03:51 PM
06/15/08 03:51 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thank you both for the answers!

In this case, I want to help a buddy adjust his idle -- it's a bit low, but otherwise the car runs Ok. So, it sounds like I just need to tweak the idle setting on the center carb 'til it's a little higher.

If all 3 carbs are getting fuel at low rpm, for example - idling at a stop light, when are the vacuum secondary attachments on the carb used? I've heard where people say when you really hit the gas hard on a six-pack, the "outer carbs kick in". What would this mean? Are they not being used at lower or cruising RPMs?

Thanks a lot for your help .. this is a completely new concept for me!

Re: Very Basic Six-Pack Questions #74103
06/15/08 04:24 PM
06/15/08 04:24 PM
Houston,Tx.
L
Lee446 Offline
pro stock
Lee446  Offline
pro stock
L

Houston,Tx.
The end carbs have idle circuits for a reason, it was to keep the fuel from going stale in the bowls when they were not in use, as if the end carbs would go for very long without getting opened up!!
The end carbs operate off a vacumn source that originates in the venturi of the center carb, when it is wide open or has high air flow, it creates a vacumn signal that goes to the pods on the outboard carbs and opens them up. The end carbs have a tiny kill bleed that bleeds off some of the vacuum to keep the ends from opening until the engine can handle the additional flow.
In short, the end carbs do not open under normal driving/idleing conditions. Under idle conditions, they do contribute to the rich/lean condition of the idle system. This is kind of a simple explanation, but basically covers it. Lee

Re: Very Basic Six-Pack Question [Re: Lee446] #74104
06/15/08 06:31 PM
06/15/08 06:31 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

.........But all the carbs have idle circuits that must be adjusted initially. Once they are all set up correctly, the center becomes the carb normally adjusted for minor issues

I don't know about the first year, but my recollection is that the '70--which I had--originally had the outer carb adjust screws sealed (in lead?) and you had to "dig them out" to adjust them. Unless they get dirty, or you install a wild cam, etc, they should not normally need to be changed on the outers

Re: Very Basic Six-Pack Question #74105
06/15/08 06:47 PM
06/15/08 06:47 PM
Houston,Tx.
L
Lee446 Offline
pro stock
Lee446  Offline
pro stock
L

Houston,Tx.
While they were sealed from the factory, it does not mean they are perfect. They were sealed for emissions purposes. The majority of the six-packs I work on do not have a stock cam, even going up to a mild grind like the comp 270 requires rebalancing the idle circuit for best driveability and idle.

Re: Very Basic Six-Pack Question [Re: Lee446] #74106
06/15/08 06:48 PM
06/15/08 06:48 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

lotsa "idle tricks" one can do with the 6-bbl setup.

Re: Very Basic Six-Pack Question [Re: Lee446] #74107
06/15/08 07:47 PM
06/15/08 07:47 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks all for your replies!

Would it be true to say that for basic troubleshooting of starting or stalling at a stoplight, the main focus would be on the center carb? I haven't yet experienced either of these issues with the six-pack setup, but want to gauge where my immediate focus ought to be in case that happens.

Also, anyone know of a site or book which does a good job describing six-pack carb setup or troubleshooting for someone new to all this?

Thanks again for your help!

Re: Very Basic Six-Pack Question #74108
06/15/08 07:54 PM
06/15/08 07:54 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Here's a link to some good reading... .. 6bbl tips

Re: Very Basic Six-Pack Question #74109
06/16/08 10:02 AM
06/16/08 10:02 AM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
Quote:

The idle speed is only on the center carb, although there are some tricks available to adjust the ends, but it is not really necessary.

Quote:

lotsa "idle tricks" one can do with the 6-bbl setup.

So lets hear em.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.