Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
Mine are going on their third year.My 440 runs 12.5 Ross domes and street and strip.I did upgrade the locks retainers and springs which I would have done with Eddys.Just had to back cut the valves and cleaned them up a bit.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: therocks] #712610
06/01/10 09:24 AM
06/01/10 09:24 AM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
I'd certainly(and have) buy a 440Source engine kit.I would not buy these heads-crack prone or not-for any kind of race car. For a street deal, fine, but the flow numbers coming out of these heads aren't race car worthy type figures.

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: BobR] #712611
06/01/10 11:37 AM
06/01/10 11:37 AM
Las Vegas NV
moparmanjames Offline
pro stock
moparmanjames  Offline
pro stock

Las Vegas NV
I guess I'm confused, I see a lot of bracket cars at the track running stock heads, I see stock eliminator cars running stock heads, and I'm guessing these Stealth heads flow better than stock from what I have read.
Why would they not be race worthy if they flow better than stock both out of the box and ported?
I would think it would depend on what you wanted to do and how fast you want to go. I see no reason why a set these CNC ported Stealth heads wouldn't be fine for a 3500lb bracket car running 10's all day long.

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: moparmanjames] #712612
06/01/10 04:03 PM
06/01/10 04:03 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline OP
EL Master
domingo  Offline OP
EL Master

Lima, Peru
I have a friend who had his stealth heads crack too....he was running high compression. like 13:1 something like that.

thats why im asking.

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: domingo] #712613
06/01/10 04:14 PM
06/01/10 04:14 PM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
Quote:

I have a friend who had his stealth heads crack too....he was running high compression. like 13:1 something like that.

thats why im asking.

Sounds like all he has to do is send 'em back to brandon for some good ones. Thats cool of Brandon to admitt to the problem, i'm sure he will make good on his promise. I bet ther are zillions of guys who have had no problems with them, and I still want a set for a future low deck project I'm working on.

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: moparmanjames] #712614
06/01/10 04:25 PM
06/01/10 04:25 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

I guess I'm confused, I see a lot of bracket cars at the track running stock heads, I see stock eliminator cars running stock heads, and I'm guessing these Stealth heads flow better than stock from what I have read.
Why would they not be race worthy if they flow better than stock both out of the box and ported?
I would think it would depend on what you wanted to do and how fast you want to go. I see no reason why a set these CNC ported Stealth heads wouldn't be fine for a 3500lb bracket car running 10's all day long.

I guess that all depends on how fast you want to go. Mid 10's to me isn't what it used to be. Compare flow numbers of maxxed out Stealths to almost anything Indy makes but especially their top shelf stuff. Now compare this stuff to the better Ford and Chevy heads. I stand by what I said.

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: BobR] #712615
06/01/10 04:56 PM
06/01/10 04:56 PM
Ky
M
moparmafia Offline
mopar
moparmafia  Offline
mopar
M

Ky
Quote:

Quote:

I guess that all depends on how fast you want to go. Mid 10's to me isn't what it used to be. Compare flow numbers of maxxed out Stealths to almost anything Indy makes but especially their top shelf stuff. Now compare this stuff to the better Ford and Chevy heads. I stand by what I said.

i think most people get caught up on flow numbers and dyno numbers. we might not have the most peak flow but the stock mopar heads have very good velocity and make good power. i have ran mopars my whole adult life and i have outrun many a ford and chevies that have higher flow numbers and an impressive dyno sheet. my very mild 1977 400 with stock 452 heads was out running my friends 93 mustang with edelbrock heads cam and intake. but man did his flow sheet look good. lol

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: BobR] #712616
06/01/10 05:35 PM
06/01/10 05:35 PM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
Quote:

Quote:

440Source does not claim that it is a race head. That is totally NOT its purpose. Its a stock replacement(almost identical)and is supposed to make a "stock looking" motor faster than it looks. And I think it succeeds for its intended purpose...plus, it is cheap. This may tempt alot of guys to use it for bracket or other limited type of racing. Just like the Eddy RPM. The flow numbers are pretty much the same for both. The RPM may look more like a race head but its not much better than a maxed out 906 iron head ..just like the Stealth. The BB Chev head, by its design, is an inherently a good flowing head just like a Hemi. So, you almost have to compare the BB mopar to a SB chevy...thats what it most closely resembles and the power can go from the most wimpy to fairly muscular...but not until serious changes are made in the design..ports, valve size and length etc etc,. Then you have a head that does not even look stock any more. The ports are much bigger and raised, the plugs are relocated and the head itself is taller and wider.

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: B1Fish540] #712617
06/01/10 05:48 PM
06/01/10 05:48 PM
Carson City, NV
440sourcedotcom Offline
super stock
440sourcedotcom  Offline
super stock

Carson City, NV
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

440Source does not claim that it is a race head. That is totally NOT its purpose. Its a stock replacement(almost identical)and is supposed to make a "stock looking" motor faster than it looks. And I think it succeeds for its intended purpose...plus, it is cheap. This may tempt alot of guys to use it for bracket or other limited type of racing. Just like the Eddy RPM. The flow numbers are pretty much the same for both. The RPM may look more like a race head but its not much better than a maxed out 906 iron head ..just like the Stealth. The BB Chev head, by its design, is an inherently a good flowing head just like a Hemi. So, you almost have to compare the BB mopar to a SB chevy...thats what it most closely resembles and the power can go from the most wimpy to fairly muscular...but not until serious changes are made in the design..ports, valve size and length etc etc,. Then you have a head that does not even look stock any more. The ports are much bigger and raised, the plugs are relocated and the head itself is taller and wider.

When comparing flow numbers from different companies, you are not comparing apples to apples. It is well known in the industry that certain companies greatly inflate their flow numbers, while others are much more accurate. The ONLY way to evaluate flow numbers is if all the heads you are comparing are flowed on the same calibrated flow bench, bolted to the same fixture (bore size), and flowed by the same person at the same time.

Bottom line is, several dozen of our CNC'd stealth heads have been dyno'd on 500+ CI engines. They make in the area of 675-725 horsepower everytime like clockwork.

We will be the first to tell you, if you are looking for 750+ HP, these are not the heads for you. If you are looking for 700/725 HP or less, (generally in the 9 second range for most cars) then they will be a good option, as they have been proven without a doubt to be capable of these power levels.

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: B1Fish540] #712618
06/01/10 05:52 PM
06/01/10 05:52 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
Im thinking about building a 512 stroker from 440 source and they recommend running the stealth heads or the Elderbrock Victor.I was told the same thing about the Stealth heads cracking,so whats the difference between the eddy Victor and the eddy rpm.I was told to go with a eddy victor?

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: BobR] #712619
06/01/10 06:03 PM
06/01/10 06:03 PM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
Quote:

I'd certainly(and have) buy a 440Source engine kit.I would not buy these heads-crack prone or not-for any kind of race car. For a street deal, fine, but the flow numbers coming out of these heads aren't race car worthy type figures.

Bob, I do understand where you are coming from(from other posts you have made)and I agree that the term "race head" should be confined to heads that have some of the modification I mentioned in my other post. In other words, they are considered exotic. Examples would be original B1, 440-1, Predator, B1-TS, Brewer, 426 Hemi..these heads are all capable of 1000+ HP. Even the Victor and mopar Stage VI are more "exotic" than "stock" so should be consider race heads. as well, imho.

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: 70RT Charger] #712620
06/01/10 06:04 PM
06/01/10 06:04 PM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
Quote:

Im thinking about building a 512 stroker from 440 source and they recommend running the stealth heads or the Elderbrock Victor.I was told the same thing about the Stealth heads cracking,so whats the difference between the eddy Victor and the eddy rpm.I was told to go with a eddy victor?

about 100 HP!

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: 440sourcedotcom] #712621
06/01/10 06:10 PM
06/01/10 06:10 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOc !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

Bottom line is, several dozen of our CNC'd stealth heads have been dyno'd on 500+ CI engines. They make in the area of 675-725 horsepower everytime like clockwork.

CNCed ? .. how about the-best OOTB ??

And what would your grocery-list on that motor be?

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: dOc !] #712622
06/01/10 06:36 PM
06/01/10 06:36 PM
Carson City, NV
440sourcedotcom Offline
super stock
440sourcedotcom  Offline
super stock

Carson City, NV
Quote:

Quote:

CNCed ? .. how about the-best OOTB ??

And what would your grocery-list on that motor be?

For the motors we are talking about, we are talking 500+ cubes, a cam at least .565+ lift, usually pump gas (10 to 10.5:1 compression - a few of the engines have been 12 or 13 to 1), roller rockers, 950-1050 carb, etc. Obviously, components must be matched correctly, and the engine must be tuned correctly, but there's no magic to it.

Out of the box, (non CNC version) most guys are making 540-560 HP with similar internal components as described above.

If you take the well known formula of CFM x .257 x number of cylinders, these horsepower numbers quoted are within the range of this formula, based on the CFM numbers we publish for our heads. This stuff is not rocket science and there's no mysteries to it, it's pretty simple and straightforward.

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: BobR] #712623
06/01/10 07:32 PM
06/01/10 07:32 PM
Las Vegas NV
moparmanjames Offline
pro stock
moparmanjames  Offline
pro stock

Las Vegas NV
Quote:

Quote:

So basically you agree that they are fine for a mid 10 second bracket car or slower, yes?
It seems that 10 seconds or slower is what 70% of the people are running at the track, basically most of Pro Bracket along with sportsman/street.

These are race cars too you know.

BTW I have a set of maxxed out Indy SR's that flow around 345 and I love them too.

Last edited by moparmanjames; 06/01/10 07:38 PM.
Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: 440sourcedotcom] #712624
06/01/10 07:35 PM
06/01/10 07:35 PM
Las Vegas NV
moparmanjames Offline
pro stock
moparmanjames  Offline
pro stock

Las Vegas NV
Quote:

When comparing flow numbers from different companies, you are not comparing apples to apples. It is well known in the industry that certain companies greatly inflate their flow numbers, while others are much more accurate. The ONLY way to evaluate flow numbers is if all the heads you are comparing are flowed on the same calibrated flow bench, bolted to the same fixture (bore size), and flowed by the same person at the same time.

We will be the first to tell you, if you are looking for 750+ HP, these are not the heads for you. If you are looking for 700/725 HP or less, (generally in the 9 second range for most cars) then they will be a good option, as they have been proven without a doubt to be capable of these power levels.

Nice numbers, do you guys plan on offering a raised port/longer valve head anytime soon? Thanks

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: moparmanjames] #712625
06/01/10 07:59 PM
06/01/10 07:59 PM
Carson City, NV
440sourcedotcom Offline
super stock
440sourcedotcom  Offline
super stock

Carson City, NV
Quote:

Nice numbers, do you guys plan on offering a raised port/longer valve head anytime soon? Thanks

Yes, our Stealth stage II heads are out of design and development and are currently in the pattern/tooling production stage. They may hit the market by the end of the year.

They will use an offset rocker to get rid of the "pushrod turn", but still have the exterior factory look and form factor (no cast in "intake spacers, raised valve covers, etc).

As far as flow numbers, we're getting peak numbers of about 325 cfm from them out of the box. On our same bench, out of the box victors flowed about 330, so they are holding their own with victors out of the box, however because of the raised port and longer valve design of the victors, the victors should have more potential with all out porting then our Stealth stage II. But we are confident the Stealth stage II should easily be an 800-850HP capable head.

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: 440sourcedotcom] #712626
06/01/10 08:03 PM
06/01/10 08:03 PM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, our Stealth stage II heads are out of design and development and are currently in the pattern/tooling production stage. They may hit the market by the end of the year.

They will use an offset rocker to get rid of the "pushrod turn", but still have the exterior factory look and form factor (no cast in "intake spacers, raised valve covers, etc).

As far as flow numbers, we're getting peak numbers of about 325 cfm from them out of the box. On our same bench, out of the box victors flowed about 330, so they are holding their own with victors out of the box, however because of the raised port and longer valve design of the victors, the victors should have more potential with all out porting then our Stealth stage II. But we are confident the Stealth stage II should easily be an 800-850HP capable head.

Cool, will the price be comparable to the Pro Comp victors? They are about $1200, CNCed.

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: moparmafia] #712627
06/01/10 08:10 PM
06/01/10 08:10 PM
Between a rock & a hard place
C
cudadoug Offline
master
cudadoug  Offline
master
C

Between a rock & a hard place
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i think most people get caught up on flow numbers and dyno numbers. we might not have the most peak flow but the stock mopar heads have very good velocity and make good power. i have ran mopars my whole adult life and i have outrun many a ford and chevies that have higher flow numbers and an impressive dyno sheet. my very mild 1977 400 with stock 452 heads was out running my friends 93 mustang with edelbrock heads cam and intake. but man did his flow sheet look good. lol

I would agree 100% with this statement. I once ran a TRW flat top 440 (12+ years ago) going 10.30s @ 128 with 906 heads (263 peak CFM) at 3250-ish lbs. All of the "experts" said "no way, gotta be a stroker, where's the bottle"...I heard it all. Head flow, is just that: head flow, which is PART of the overall combo...

Re: 440 source stealth heads: GOOD?? BAD?? [Re: B1Fish540] #712628
06/01/10 08:36 PM
06/01/10 08:36 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4