06/05/08 05:33 PM
06/05/08 05:33 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline OP
I Win
JohnRR  Offline OP
I Win

U.S.S.A.
I have a couple of non remote mirrors that I can mix and match to make a good one , and another one that needs a new piece of mirror glass . I assume I must endure 7 yrs of bad luck to get the glass out ?

What about getting the pieces apart so they can be replated and polished , can I just pull the pivor ball out , I think its splined in ? I do have a mirror base I can sacrifice if need be .

thanks

Re: mirror glass replacement and restoring the chrome ??? [Re: JohnRR] #68139
06/05/08 06:02 PM
06/05/08 06:02 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

I have a couple of non remote mirrors that I can mix and match to make a good one , and another one that needs a new piece of mirror glass . I assume I must endure 7 yrs of bad luck to get the glass out ?

What about getting the pieces apart so they can be replated and polished , can I just pull the pivor ball out , I think its splined in ? I do have a mirror base I can sacrifice if need be .

thanks

Here is what I have done....

Soak the mirror part in lacquer thinner. Most of the time the glass will just fall out. Then once the glass is out take the pivot tension bracket(Small strip of metal retained by two small screws) and give the whole thing to the plater. Once you get it back, you can tighten up the tension on the pivot by putting a pc. of steel shim behind the pivot bracket to put more pressure on the ball.

If you can't get the glass out, then just smash it out and get a new one. Resto Rick carries them and will be willing to even etch it for you with the right #'s.

MB

Re: mirror glass replacement and restoring the chrome ??? [Re: HPMike] #68140
06/05/08 11:07 PM
06/05/08 11:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I need to replate the passenger mirror on my 70 Challenger. I have removed the mirror, but the black plate is held on by rivets, not screws. I can file the rivets to get the plate off, and was thinking maybe the ball is screwed in so I can remove it before I send the rest off for plating. What's the trick to restore the rivets, or to retain the plate once I get it back?

Re: mirror glass replacement and restoring the chrome ? [Re: HPMike] #68141
06/06/08 08:45 AM
06/06/08 08:45 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline OP
I Win
JohnRR  Offline OP
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

thanks

Here is what I have done....

Soak the mirror part in lacquer thinner. Most of the time the glass will just fall out. Then once the glass is out take the pivot tension bracket(Small strip of metal retained by two small screws) and give the whole thing to the plater. Once you get it back, you can tighten up the tension on the pivot by putting a pc. of steel shim behind the pivot bracket to put more pressure on the ball.

If you can't get the glass out, then just smash it out and get a new one. Resto Rick carries them and will be willing to even etch it for you with the right #'s.

MB

thanks Mike

Re: mirror glass replacement and restoring the chrome ? [Re: JohnRR] #68142
06/06/08 09:09 AM
06/06/08 09:09 AM
Belle Mead, NJ
65Frank Offline
super street
65Frank  Offline
super street

Belle Mead, NJ
If its a 4" round mirror and you don't care about the date code, the Dorman/Help number is 51012

Re: mirror glass replacement and restoring the chrome ? [Re: 65Frank] #68143
06/06/08 09:19 AM
06/06/08 09:19 AM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL

I remove the mirrors with a heat gun.