Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Studs are highly recommended on the rocker shaft hold downs, especially in aluminum. That is one of the topics I illustrated multiple times in my big block book because it is a classic problem.

Re: Rocker Shaft Oiling on a Big Block [Re: AndyF] #673565
04/22/10 05:39 PM
04/22/10 05:39 PM
Illinois
ChrisDavis Offline OP
ChrisDavis  Offline OP

Illinois
I know adhesive is not the proper way to fix the stripped rocker shaft bolt. But what do I have to loose!

I have at least 4 good unused threads at the bottom of the hole. I am going to clean the hole very well with brake cleaner, allowing sufficient dry time, and then I am going to fill the bottom of the hole with JB Weld. I will strip the black anodizing off the stud’s threads and thread it all the way to the bottom into wet adhesive. I anticipate gluing the bottom one inch of the stud in. With the good threads I have I shouldn’t have to count on the adhesive for too much holding strength since all I really need is to keep from pulling out the remaining threads.

Has anyone ever tried something like this? If you have, what adhesive did you use? I see three main choices. First is JB Weld. Another possibility is Permatex’s Stripped Thread Repair Kit. The only other one I could find was Loctite’s Form-A-Thread. I am leaning toward the JB Weld since it is good to 600* and the others are only good to 300*. Besides that I have no experience with the other products but I have used JB Weld.

Does anyone else have an opinion on adhesives? Has anyone tried any of the products I mentioned above? Is there another product I haven’t considered?

NOTE: Edelbrock now ships their BB Mopar heads with studs included for the four oiling holes. They didn’t used to do this. In fact this appears to be so new that they don’t have the stud part numbers set up for ordering in their systems yet. For reference the Edelbrock part numbers for the stud, nut and washer are 36-6091, 36-6092 and 36-6093.

Last edited by ChrisDavis; 04/22/10 08:27 PM.
Re: Rocker Shaft Oiling on a Big Block [Re: ChrisDavis] #673566
04/22/10 09:22 PM
04/22/10 09:22 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
JB Weld ain't gonna do sh*t! In fact, you'll run the risk of it blocking the oil passage or chipping and causing you grief later. Either pull the head and fix it right of leave the thing as it is.

Now that I think of it there is a solution you might try with the head on the block.

First block the oil passage (use an appropriately sized piece of o-ring ???)
Put rags around everywhere else to catch debris.
Buy an item call a "Keensert". Drill and tap the stripped hole and install the keensert.

Unlike helicoils, keenserts require no "special" tools.

Once you've cleaned up the drilling and tapping debris, use the engines oil pressure to blow the o-ring piece up out of the passage.

Re: Rocker Shaft Oiling on a Big Block [Re: Stanton] #673567
05/06/10 03:48 PM
05/06/10 03:48 PM
Illinois
ChrisDavis Offline OP
ChrisDavis  Offline OP

Illinois
Well… I am going to find out this weekend. I will be reassembling everything Saturday and will see if this worked.

I had trouble locating correct studs. ARP’s regular stud line is only threaded for ¾”. The hole in the head is 1” deep. I ended up using Edelbrock (ARP) 6009 Ford FE studs. They are threaded for 1” on both ends. They are about 3.6” long, which is about 1/3” longer than what Edelbrock recommends for their Mopar heads. They fit perfectly, with 3 or 4 exposed threads above the nut and have tons of valve cover clearance.

I JB Welded the stud in Monday. One mistake I made was putting adhesive in the hole first. It caused a hydro lock situation that prevented me from tightening the stud down all the way to the bottom of the hole. That means I might have caught 2 or 3 of the good remaining threads rather than all 4 or 5 of them. I didn’t discover I wasn’t at the bottom of the hole until I set the shaft in place and noticed the stud was higher than the other side.

To get the JB Weld thinned enough to be workable I had to mix a few drops of acetone with it. That extended the curing time by at least a couple of days. I have samples drying on a cardboard to verify it’s cure. Good thing I called JB Weld first. They informed me that brake cleaner leaves a residue behind that prevents JB Weld from bonding. I cleaned the holes again with acetone.

Thanks to Stanton for the idea to plug the oiling hole. The O-ring didn’t work because I wanted to leave a tail hanging out for removal and couldn’t get the stud past it. However an equivalent sized piece of wire insulation did work. It plugged the oil hole and then flattened out so I could get the stud by it. As soon as the adhesive dried enough to not run I pulled the wire insulation out flattening it between the head and the stud as it came. No adhesive got anywhere near the oil hole. I also masked the shaft journal to keep it clean.

Last, just to add insult to injury, I put new double valve springs on. They are 160 on seat and 360 at my cam’s .550 lift. This thing is either going to go or blow.

Re: Rocker Shaft Oiling on a Big Block [Re: AndyF] #673568
05/06/10 06:20 PM
05/06/10 06:20 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
You always have the option of drilling horizontally in the rear of the head then angle down from the rear pedestal to meet this passage. I've done it on a SB and have not yet but will be doing it on a BB and it has the benefit of allowing you to restrict the 5 crank to cam passages to 1/16" which is plenty of oil for the cam bearings/journals.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Rocker Shaft Oiling on a Big Block [Re: RapidRobert] #673569
05/13/10 02:28 PM
05/13/10 02:28 PM
Illinois
ChrisDavis Offline OP
ChrisDavis  Offline OP

Illinois
So far so good. I have heat cycled it a few times now. I also ran it up to 6K in all three gears. When I pulled the valve cover the nut on the glued stud still had the 30 Lbs torque I tightened it to. It is going to be interesting to see how long this holds up. Maybe someone else will benefit from this experience.

Re: Rocker Shaft Oiling on a Big Block [Re: ChrisDavis] #673570
05/13/10 02:48 PM
05/13/10 02:48 PM
Athens, Greece
Pyper70 Offline
master
Pyper70  Offline
master

Athens, Greece
Does Banana grooving the holes help any with the oiling on roller rockers? During a previous build, a friend did this for me and he had grinded in banana grooves on my rocker shafts.

Family owned 1969 Charger R/T DualQuad 440/727/GVO/3.55s
Re: Rocker Shaft Oiling on a Big Block [Re: Pyper70] #673571
05/13/10 04:34 PM
05/13/10 04:34 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Does Banana grooving the holes help any with the oiling on roller rockers? During a previous build, a friend did this for me and he had grinded in banana grooves on my rocker shafts.

Yes it does.

Page 2 of 2 1 2