04/06/10 06:38 PM
04/06/10 06:38 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

http://www.dodgetrucks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78783&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Old post and very much like how feets talked about efi'ing a BB. Using the 5.0 ford computers and wiring.
The catch is still the distributer. But I was wondering if anyone knows what the ford one does.

The painless setup I have put a shutter wheel in the distributer to give it the crank position. Would that work for this so no new machining would be necessary?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662656
04/06/10 08:09 PM
04/06/10 08:09 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Wouldn't it be easier to use a year of ford harness that runs edis-8 instead of a distributor? Hanging a 36-1 trigger wheel off the crank is a well documented mod. Then basically all your distributor is doing is holding down your oil pump drive shaft.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #662657
04/06/10 08:30 PM
04/06/10 08:30 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

I guess that seems more complex to me adding a trigger wheel.

I like the fact it is all in the distributer. Less add on's to the engine, less aftermarket parts to buy vs a junkyard pull.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662658
04/06/10 08:55 PM
04/06/10 08:55 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

I guess that seems more complex to me adding a trigger wheel.

I like the fact it is all in the distributer. Less add on's to the engine, less aftermarket parts to buy vs a junkyard pull.

Well the trigger wheel setup would be 100% junkyard parts. You take the ring and add it to your crank pulley. Then you make a bracket to hold the trigger sensor. If you're not good at fabbing you can buy this stuff pre-made even. But the mods to do it yourself are well documented, seems like a no-brainer to me, edis-4, -6 and -8 systems have been added to piles of vehicles. Many instructions on the net on how to do it as well as the megasquirt forums. The thing I like about the edis system is you can test it out with your carb. If the edis system is unplugged or fails to get a signal from the engine computer, it defaults to 10* btdc as a limp-home measure. But if the distributor is what you want, go for it, just bare in mind that 99% of the focus from others on modding for ignitions to other applications is going to be the edis stuff.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #662659
04/06/10 09:18 PM
04/06/10 09:18 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
I am not entirely sure about the Ford system but could you use the factory Magnum Crank Sensor on the flexplate setup?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: IMGTX] #662660
04/06/10 09:36 PM
04/06/10 09:36 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

While that would work with the stock magnum computer, I don't think it will work here. But again it comes down to what is the output of that distributer vs the other choices.

The other main draw back was the whole transmission thing to me for using the stock crank sensor.

IF you kept the 518, then it isn't a problem. But if you went with a different trans Like I did, keeping the 727, then it becomes a bit different I think.

The b&m flex plate replaces the stock magnum one for the neutral balanced torque converter. I was never clear on this, but my guess would be having to replace the torque converter to allow use of the stock flex plate at that point.

This just seemed to be a cleaner way, and allow you to use any of the magnums instead of the 95 and earlier for the simple ecu. or making your own from mega squirt.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662661
04/07/10 01:04 AM
04/07/10 01:04 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
I'll probably be doing the EEC-IV swap onto my truck at some point.

www.fordfuelinjection.com has a lot of information on the system. There are also some links to other forums.

I have a buddy with a 91 crown vic I was going to take the harness and sensors out of. After I pull the distributor I'll see what it takes to make it work in a mopar. The one guy took the mopar and ford dizzy to his machinist and said 'make it fit' I figure I should be able to come with something to make it work.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662662
04/08/10 11:59 AM
04/08/10 11:59 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
A carb will be cheaper and make more power, you just need to get it tuned right. There, now that’s out of the way.

I’ve looked into the 5.0 retrofit a lot too, and it does offer the opportunity to be cheaper for an ECU than the nearest competitor (which is Megasquirt). Yes, it’s been done, and yes, the distributor is the hard part. I believe I’ve found a simpler solution but haven’t had time to confirm it yet.

distributor
The main difference between the 5.0 dizzy and most Mopar dizzys: Mopar has a VR sensor and 5.0 dizzy uses Hall Effect. The guts of the 5.0 are too different to swap into a Mopar housing unless you have a lathe or mill to make some accurate adaptation pieces. For a drillpress guy like me, that route’s a no-go.

I’ve heard of guys cutting/welding the Ford top to the Mopar bottom, splicing shafts together, grinding a flat tang onto a Ford shaft, etc, but concerns for shaft runout, hardness compatibility to the oil pump drive shaft, and long-term durability concern me with those methods. It would be a real downer to have a hardness mismatch or a wobble make metal shavings in the engine. Along the way I discovered a Hall sensor and shutter wheel for the Mopar dizzy housing, now I need to figure out how it fits the BB shaft. Need to figure out which shaft is better to use - from either points or electronic dizzy.

Next:
The Ford ECM reportedly looks at the distance/time between rising/falling edges on the shutter wheel and it may not like the Mopar Hall sensor signal due to difference in diameter of wheel. I have compared Ford and Mopar wheels in Autocad and believe the wheel can be modified to emulate the Ford wheel a little better. I also have an idea on how to compare them electrically -- I simply need some spare time to wire up a TFI system to generate the signal, then I would use my Megasquirt to datalog and compare them. Here’s the biggie, though - since I have a Megasquirt system I’m working on, fiddling with a 5.0 system got put on the backburner.

speed-density or mass-air? You’ll have to decide whether to use SD or MA for this conversion. MA usually gets the quickest nod, partially from internet lore from Mustang circles regarding its flexibility, and also the allure of ‘sequential’.

However, I’ll propose SD instead – it’s a little older and ‘cruder’ and therefore I think it would be less sensitive to the VE difference between a 5.0 and a bigblock Mopar. The newer the ECU, the more sophisticated it is, the more emissions strategies it has, and the less likely you can ‘trick’ it with fuel pressure adjustments or resistors on the sensors. (Plus a MA sensor is nearly impossible to do a stealth installation with, and you’ll need an 80mm-ish size, which is an aftermarket piece. ($))

Here’s my theory:
Sequential EEC can conceivably look at the time between a cylinder firing and the result from the O2 sensor (at any particular RPM). It knows which cylinder is firing and possibly its distance to the sensor, and it makes adjustments based on that. Sequential is also more sensitive to cam and ignition timing (firing order) – reportedly it’s not a big deal on Fords if the order doesn’t match, but why go to the extra effort of MA if sequential’s benefit is lost? ,

If you use SD, though, it injects and makes adjustments bank-bank, so I think it will place less importance on instantaneous O2 sensor readings and O2 sensor location. Also, running bank-bank SD removes the low-RPM importance of Mopar vs Ford valve timing, i.e. timing the injection on the closed intake valve. (and we all know that sequential’s closed-valve benefit disappears as RPMS increase, right?)

I read somewhere that EEC can only adjust fueling +/- 12.5%. In our retrofit scheme, injector size and fuel pressure adjustments will make up for crude across-the-board fueling differences for the increased displacement and MAP, and EEC can then adjust as much as possible for the subtle differences in the VE curves between engines.

EDIS was mentioned.
Although EDIS circumvents the dizzy retrofit, it introduces a trigger wheel retrofit, which might be just as difficult from a fabrication standpoint. Also, it requires newer EECs, which are more likely to be OBD2 and have a bunch of extra stuff in them like electronic trans control, ABS, etc. Yes, that stuff can be turned off via a re-flash or a Tweecer, but that’s $$. The more you spend on this Ford system the closer you are to the cost of a fully-programmable Megasquirt IMHO.

Here are my favorite 5.0 links:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=28401.0
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.html
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/EECIVInnerWorkings/
http://www.my5oh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=225#225
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=7247.0
http://www.detomaso.nu/~thomast/efi/

I’ve you’ve read this far, you’ve earned a cookie! I have lots more info compiled, if there’s interest I’ll throw more info out. But right now… my hands hurt…

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662663
04/08/10 12:05 PM
04/08/10 12:05 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
I saw a BB reference and got sidetracked somewhat. If doing a smallblock, why not just use a 92-95 Maggie system?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662664
04/08/10 12:18 PM
04/08/10 12:18 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

The problem with the early mag setup is the computer won't let you do any upgrades.

This would allow some upgrades without adding much more to the efi system, and let you run a newer engine.

The painless system uses the shutter wheel and halls effect sensor. Just not sure how it matches up to the ford system, or if it would be helpfull to anyone to make a few more of them.
It just drops into the mag distributer.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662665
04/08/10 12:32 PM
04/08/10 12:32 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Save your money, your hair (because you will pull it all out trying to rig that), and time. Buy a carb and be done. EFI will not give you any perfromance upgrades over a carb.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Mr.Yuck] #662666
04/08/10 12:43 PM
04/08/10 12:43 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

While I agree for the most part, efi won't give you perfomance over a carb, it does offer quite a few benifits.

It has take 2 years to get my car drivable with the painless system. but I have driven it more now with it hooked up in one week then I did when it was carbed for a whole year.

I get in and know it is going to start. I can stop and not worry about it dying at a light.
As a cruiser it is very important that it be more reliable then the power factor.

It has died on me once, but when it was carbed it died multiple times a year.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Mr.Yuck] #662667
04/08/10 01:12 PM
04/08/10 01:12 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

Save your money, your hair (because you will pull it all out trying to rig that), and time. Buy a carb and be done. EFI will not give you any perfromance upgrades over a carb.

And here comes Yuck, trying to save us from ourselves, by dropping his 'carbs are the best' turd in yet another informative EFI discussion.

Some of us want to try new things and like challenges. If you don't want to try new technology, or help others that do, why not stay out of the way???

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662668
04/08/10 01:24 PM
04/08/10 01:24 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

The painless system uses the shutter wheel and halls effect sensor. Just not sure how it matches up to the ford system, or if it would be helpfull to anyone to make a few more of them.
It just drops into the mag distributer.

Did Painless make special parts for that, then? I would be interested in seeing how that wheel compares geometrically to the Ford wheel or to the Mopar stuff.

I believe the Hall output is fixed in voltage and is rectified, so the timing of rise/fall is the only important thing. You would need to tie that Painless sensor into the Ford TFI sub-system, and a remote TFI from a 90s truck or T-Bird would make that much easier.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662669
04/08/10 01:27 PM
04/08/10 01:27 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

While I agree for the most part, efi won't give you perfomance over a carb, it does offer quite a few benifits.

I get in and know it is going to start. I can stop and not worry about it dying at a light.
As a cruiser it is very important that it be more reliable then the power factor.

The main reason I want to go EFI on my truck is for drive-ability and reliability. Know that it will always start, idle well, re-start when warm, etc. Currently I have to let it warm up for 10 minutes before I can put it in gear to move it. The idle is also inconsistent (750 sometimes, 1100 other times). All stuff that can be fixed, likely with a new carb.

Since I can get the harness, sensors & dizzy for free, I could either spend $300 on a new carb (mine was a fleabay special ), or buy a Quarterhorse programmer and some elbow grease on top of the new engine build.

Quote:

The Ford ECM reportedly looks at the distance/time between rising/falling edges on the shutter wheel and it may not like the Mopar Hall sensor signal due to difference in diameter of wheel.

Wheel diameter won't make a difference in the timing. Even if the sensor is on the outside of the disc rather than the inside, they still come around at the same time. One of my products has an inductive sensor measuring the time between tabs on a coupler to get speed and distance (knowing the drum diameter). Big or small diameter, the results are the same.

I was tentatively planning on doing a Mass Air install. With the QH/Tweecer, you can change the firing (injection) order, fill in the actual displacement, set up the calibration for larger injectors & maf, etc. You can even change the advance curve.

I was under the impression that MA also did bank-bank adjustments like SD does.

I've looked a little bit at Megasquirt. But especially if we can get the mopar hall effect to work with the ford system, it would be easier (to me) to just install the new dizzy than to fab on the trigger wheel.

I hadn't seen half of those links you included. I'd definitely be interested in any other information you have.

Maybe today I'll pull the ford distributor and start looking it over.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662670
04/08/10 01:39 PM
04/08/10 01:39 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

It has take 2 years to get my car drivable with the painless system. but I have driven it more now with it hooked up in one week then I did when it was carbed for a whole year.

Well something must have been very wrong with your carb setup if that was the case. People daily drove cars for over half a century. I daily drive my thermoquad equiped 440 to work every day spring-fall. It's never died on me or left me stranded, only time I've ever stalled it is before I got the choke dialed in properly. Cold driveability is actually quite good, I typically fire it, let it warm up 30 seconds, kick it down and go, even on days when the temp is near freezing, a 30-60 second warm-up is all I do. Of course efi will still be better in that situation, however a well tuned carb is quite under-rated in terms of driveability. I stress the well tuned part, which generally are not, going by the guys on this board. I'm not putting efi down, I myself have a megasquirt, efi intake and all the parts to make it work but I still waffle as to whether I want to go through with it because a well tuned carb is actually quite decent, and a lot less effort.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662671
04/08/10 01:44 PM
04/08/10 01:44 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

And here comes Yuck, trying to save us from ourselves, by dropping his 'carbs are the best' turd in yet another informative EFI discussion.

Some of us want to try new things and like challenges. If you don't want to try new technology, or help others that do, why not stay out of the way???

I am trying to help him. There is no easy cheap way to EFI an old mopar. If you grabbed everything for the host vehicle, that'd be the best way to go. If you have added any perfromace upgrades it will not work so you have to start chopping and piecing things together, that get's expesive and tricky as you go. Most of us do not have the skills to set up and computerize EFI set-up. If a person can't tune a carb how the heck is he/she going to fab up a EFI system??? There is zero need for an EFI set-up on most of these muscle cars. Any benfit in mpg's or "drivablity" is crushed by the cost of the EFI system.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662672
04/08/10 01:46 PM
04/08/10 01:46 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

I suggest you get a book on carb tuning or have somebody help you. A car should'nt "die" w/ or w/o a carb.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662673
04/08/10 01:50 PM
04/08/10 01:50 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

Wheel diameter won't make a difference in the timing. Even if the sensor is on the outside of the disc rather than the inside, they still come around at the same time. One of my products has an inductive sensor measuring the time between tabs on a coupler to get speed and distance (knowing the drum diameter). Big or small diameter, the results are the same.

Agreed, angular velocity is the same for a given engine RPM. However, teh Ford and Mopar shutter wheels have different tooth and gap widths, which affects timing of the rise/fall signals to teh EEC. Also, the 'oddball' tooth that it uses to sense #1 is different, and it's surely clocked in a different spot on the shaft because Ford and Mopar denote different cylinders as #1.

With the proper clocking it might work OK as-is, I just didn't get that far as I'm still waiting to put the wheel on a bigblock dizzy shaft. Otherwise, I believe the Mopar wheel could be modified to emulate the Ford teeth.

Quote:

I was under the impression that MA also did bank-bank adjustments like SD does.

It might, the info on the differences between SD and MA is sometimes fuzzy. To me it wouldn't make sense to fire an injector individually but then correct a whole bank at one time. But maybe that's what they did???

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662674
04/08/10 02:05 PM
04/08/10 02:05 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

Agreed, angular velocity is the same for a given engine RPM. However, teh Ford and Mopar shutter wheels have different tooth and gap widths, which affects timing of the rise/fall signals to teh EEC. Also, the 'oddball' tooth that it uses to sense #1 is different, and it's surely clocked in a different spot on the shaft because Ford and Mopar denote different cylinders as #1.

With the proper clocking it might work OK as-is, I just didn't get that far as I'm still waiting to put the wheel on a bigblock dizzy shaft. Otherwise, I believe the Mopar wheel could be modified to emulate the Ford teeth.

Ahh, yep, that would make a difference for sure. Is the wheel just a disc, and not a stamped 3D thing? If it's just a disc, it seems like it would be straightforward to design a new one and have a water jet cut it out.

I recall reading somewhere that it does sequential injection at lower RPMs to help with idle quality, then above some set RPM it transitions to bank fire??

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7